• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Avian Avenue has lost some beloved birds and others have sustained life changing injuries due to dangerous toys that are on the market. In honor of them and to hopefully prevent any more unnecessary tragedies and injuries due to toys we have initiated this thread so we can keep a list of dangerous toys in one place for reference.

Please only list toys that have caused problems and not those that may keeping in mind that ANY and ALL toys can be a risk in the wrong situation.
Accidents tragically happen. However some toys are accidents just waiting to happen and we want to keep our members informed and alerted.

Things to be aware of when buying or making bird toys:
1~ Check toys regularly and frequently for loose strings more than 1" long and for frayed edges that can entangle or be swallowed by your bird.

2~ Your bird should not be able to fit it's head into any holes in a toy that are small enough to get stuck in and strangle.

3~ Links should be completely closed so as not to allow beaks to get wedged between the link ends.

4~ Only stainless steel or nickle plated metal hardware should be used to avoid potential metal toxicity.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks so much for allowing this list.:hug8:
Last week Holly got one of these rings shoved down onto her beak. We were lucky it did not do any more damage, and I caught it in time. Just be aware these rings have a split in them, that can get wedged down on a beak.
*These have been pulled open to remove them from the cage~

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For small birds, be careful of toys with lengths of chain attached. Your bird can get his/her beak caught in the links. Max, my Hahn's macaw, got his beak caught in one of these:

Paradise Toys 4-Side Slide

Last edited by a moderator:

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
one of the budgies got his teos stuck in this perch in the crack, it forms a sort of wedge untill the crack formed i had no promblems with it

i have contacted super bird creations about it and they have stopped production
Although they have been great sellers for us we have stopped production and will be discontinuing this item. Your budgie's accident only reinforces this decision.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Here is the toy that Kerbear got tangled up in.

Hanging Preening Bird Toy: Zoo Max Exotic Toopet Bird Toy

Also when you go to this site, there is a place to review this toy. Please take the time to tell the company what happened and request they remove the toy from their web site and catalog.

Ginger
I sent an e-mail to the dr's. I recommend doing so to the company who makes it/distributes it as well. I listed it back on my post.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I left an email for Dr Foster and smith also.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
For small birds, be careful of toys with lengths of chain attached. Your bird can get his/her beak caught in the links. Max, my Hahn's macaw, got his beak caught in one of these:

Paradise Toys 4-Side Slide
I thread a piece of leather through the links and knot it at each end.

Ginger

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy Hut labels entangling toes:

Years ago I had a little male parrotlet that lost his toes. He had chewed the label on his Happy Hut and little threads were hanging. I did not notice as the label was to the back of the cage. When I cam home He was hanging there for God knows how long. His two front toes had to be amputated. It is best to cut this label off before giving to you bird.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Saroj has a picture of the toy that did this to Newman.

He had shredded it in one day and the leather was all one long piece and looped along.

I came home and he was very calm and quiet. I had to take a deep breathe and figure out how to get it off as he can be a wild man. I took a picture, I knew this could save a bird one day.

Below are pics of the you before Newman shredded it.

Attachments

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Stainless Steel foraging buckets.

As a baby Rocky got her lower beak caught in the handle, she was screaming and screaming :( scared the heck out of me- thankfully she was on the couch next to me--but it was very difficult to unhook her beak :(

I've replaced it with this type of bucket--hopefully this is safer...

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I made a toy using little straw hats and found Feather tangled up in the thread of the hat. I threw them all away. I don't use anything like that anymore.

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
this toy, after the wood on the long chains is chewed off is very dangerous!

I discovered Hulk tangled in it. I don't know what would have happened had I not gone in at that precise moment. He had one of his wings double looped in the metal chain!

also these fit in the category, they are the same toy only different shapes.

Also birdy bagels that are big enough to go through your parrot's head. Big Bird once was wearing on like a necklace and when he noticed he freaked out! I did too but thankfully nothing happened.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
When I first got Sheba{B&G macaw} she came with a round bagel shaped dog chew/rawhide in her cage, attached to a dog chain, which was looped back up in a loop. She managed to get her neck trapped in the chain. Her feet were dangling!!!:eek: I heard her voice change, luckily I was there. I had to hold her up while Troy unscrewed the quick link with pliers.
It would have been some thing like this dog chain
Amazon.com: Medium Steel Choke Collar 16": Kitchen & Dining

with this on it

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Make sure to attach atoms securely to ceiling to avoid them falling while your bird is on it:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/safety-avenue/24924-mpt-jumbo-atom-fell-nani.html

Purchase a longer eyehook to be sure the hook bites into wood. The first pic is the hook that came with the atom. The second is a picture of the atom hanging with a longer hook that went deep into the wood ceiling beam.

Attachments