• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Interestingly, the one review actually says that the toy is dangerous.
Amber may have bought it at the shop and didn't think to read reviews. The important thing is that she cared enough to come here and remind new bird owners about the danger of these toys.

Thank goodness! I just hope little lorikeet feels better soon.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Amber may have bought it at the shop and didn't think to read reviews. The important thing is that she cared enough to come here and remind new bird owners about the danger of these toys.

Thank goodness! I just hope little lorikeet feels better soon.
I understand, I was thinking more along the lines of it clearly is something that other people have experienced and it must be dangerous as it was not a one off event

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Interestingly, the one review actually says that the toy is dangerous.
I don’t like most of our large pet store toys for that very reason. Every large name store I’ve checked has only had dangerous toys made in bulk with unsuitable parts or really boring appropriate ones and not many of them.
@AmberC might not know about the better places to buy bird toys from here, I’ve found lots of people have not known there are other smaller stores that sell better options.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
The only place I buy bird toys, other than from our vendors here, is the bird store or the little feed store by our house. Mostly Super Bird Toys, but occasionally other brands. I don't buy anything I wouldn't make myself (in terms of the materials used). Or sometimes I will buy a toy and rework it to make it safe.

rebecca252

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Tiplady
This activity ladder marketed for ‘small parakeets’
My budgie, Nico, got his head through one of the key rings on the smaller ladder, and became stuck. We managed to get him out, and thought he was fine, but he passed suddenly the next day. The only thing it could have been was the trauma of the ladder. Please be careful with these!!

Attachments

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
This activity ladder marketed for ‘small parakeets’
My budgie, Nico, got his head through one of the key rings on the smaller ladder, and became stuck. We managed to get him out, and thought he was fine, but he passed suddenly the next day. The only thing it could have been was the trauma of the ladder. Please be careful with these!!
I'm sorry about your budgie. Thank you for sharing and helping others keep their birdies safe.

Quakerlady

Meeting neighbors
That's all well and good, but toys are expensive things, and to then pay shipping half way across the world on top of that cost is a bit much for many people. I would gladly buy from vendors more often if we had a UK one where shipping wouldn't be as much.
You can make your own bird toys. I use a shoelace and hang things like cut up toilet paper empty rolls, little plastic toys, like rings and stars that you can slide the shoelace thru, shredded paper , small paper cups, large uncooked rigatoni (they love it!) Etc. Just use your imagination. I have about 50 little plastic pieces that are all different shapes and sizes on a plastic tray sitting on the top of my Quaker's cage. She has fun picking each one up and throwing them on the floor. It keeps her busy for hours (and me, too!) These are all things you can get at the Dollar Store!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
rs that you can slide the shoelace thru, shredded paper , small paper cups, large uncooked rigatoni (they love it!) Etc. Just use your imagination. I have about 50 little plastic pieces that are all different shapes and sizes on a plastic tray sitting on the top of my Quaker's cage. She has fun picking each one up and throwing them
It is great that you make you own toys!

I would suggest untreated sisal rope instead of shoelace. Shoelaces are cotton/ or a poly blend. Birds can ingest fibers and in time get crop impactions, which are very dangerous. It is wonderful to make your own toys, so this suggestion is coming from a warm place. Sisal is cost efficient safer than shoelaces.

ali_and_birdie

Meeting neighbors
I always see those mini Converse-type sneakers sold as toys/toy parts, on websites that I generally perceive to be reputable. For example:

Against my better judgment, I ordered one of them for my caique, knowing it would be fun to chew. As you can see in the photos I'm attaching, when she chewed the rubber sole off, there is a white line of what is apparently glue. There is also some loose thread. She also really frayed the laces which freaked me out because I've read horrors of fiber impactions.

Nothing bad happened to her-- she seems totally fine as far as I can tell--but I won't risk it again. Thought others might want to know too.

Attachments

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
I always see those mini Converse-type sneakers sold as toys/toy parts, on websites that I generally perceive to be reputable. For example:

Against my better judgment, I ordered one of them for my caique, knowing it would be fun to chew. As you can see in the photos I'm attaching, when she chewed the rubber sole off, there is a white line of what is apparently glue. There is also some loose thread. She also really frayed the laces which freaked me out because I've read horrors of fiber impactions.

Nothing bad happened to her-- she seems totally fine as far as I can tell--but I won't risk it again. Thought others might want to know too.
Thank you for sharing. I think those shoes are best for birds who aren't heavy chewers, and should be monitored for frayed threads consistently.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you to those that continue to post items that are or could become harmful to our fids. I think now that it's becoming hormonal season for many of us w/ warmer weather surfacing or pending soon... It's a good time to give this topic a little bump!

Our birds need to play when they're hormonal, it helps the urges to have sex, when they cannot.

Example: I have a DNA test male Amazon, (I noticed him getting more aggressive & gave him shredding material), he's chewed thru a half of shoe size box from Amazon (in a week). He has no way to have sex because my home is a single bird home...

I've given him a new box slightly larger & he's going at that one as we speak.... Since giving him these box's... he's back to his old self & has stopped biting everyone that tries to interact w/ him.

Please try to supervise your pets so you see how they play,. Avoid or take & throw out anything you (think) is being played w/ unsafely, (The vet bills will be FAR more expensive), & nobody want a dead pet. Pitch the toy in the garbage, if your questioning it's safety, it definitely why your gut is questioning it, so toss!

Our vendors here go out of their way for our floofs. They create things for birds because they love ALL birds. I've done the Amazon, Walmart & reverted to order from the AA vendors because...

1) They created things for birds enjoyment & safety in mind.

2) They are often better made but also last longer then corporation made products.

3) They built an entire business around birds.

4) They have or do own birds; have montiored & also, often tested products on said birds.

5) They stand behind their products!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Rain Bow this is an excellent post. There is no reason for any bird owner to look for toys anywhere else.

rebecca252

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Tiplady
That's all well and good, but toys are expensive things, and to then pay shipping half way across the world on top of that cost is a bit much for many people. I would gladly buy from vendors more often if we had a UK one where shipping wouldn't be as much.
I shop a lot from Scarlett's Parrot Essentials in the U.K - they have a lot of good toys!