• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thanks for sharing. It always amazes me what seemingly harmless toys turn out to be the worst for our babies.

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
Adventurous birds get the hook around their neck and get pinned to the cage. They panic and wind up breaking their necks.

My Budgie nearly died. He would have if I hadn't been home at that time. It was horrible.
im really sorry that sounds horrible! Does that mean the ladder is ok for bigger birds? If their head can’t fit there? I might get rid of mine just in case :(

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
im really sorry that sounds horrible! Does that mean the ladder is ok for bigger birds? If their head can’t fit there? I might get rid of mine just in case
I took ours out of the cage just in case. It is now an outside of the cage toy that Jenks uses when he is trying to eat our door. :lol: He can still play on it but is always supervised. We have done this with many toys that we thought could be a saftey issue when he is alone.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
im really sorry that sounds horrible! Does that mean the ladder is ok for bigger birds? If their head can’t fit there? I might get rid of mine just in case :(
Their heads are larger, but their necks are still very small. I would remove the hook and if you can, modify the toy so that it's safer.

I turned my ladder in to a swing by removing the original hooks and drilling new holes at the ends, like so:

budgie swing ladder.png

Then I put hemp chord through it and put beads along the chord. This ended up being far more fun for my Budgies anyhow. They bickered over who got to sleep on it every night.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The hooks are easily removed. I have never come across a dangerous bird toy sold by any AA vendor.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly

Attachments

Kestrel

Strolling the yard
I was just asked to share my story with my bird.
(this post will contain a graphic picture of the damage that was done to my bird)
I was warned about toys, candles, cookware, etc. But I was NOT warned about the actual hooks the toys hung from. Or in our case, his bed.

I didn't know to check to make sure they were always tight, I assumed since they were tight when I installed them, they'd stay that way. Obviously, I know better now.
I had come home from work to this.
Graphic, fair warning.

he was in so much pain, and we had NO idea what to do. We called the place where we got him, Bird Fever* and they had us come in, they said it wasn't bad, that it happens, they took it out and cleaned him up and told us he'd be good to go, just a little sleepy.
I came home from work the next day and he had noticeably lost weight. The vet came in on her day off to see him, gave him a pain relief injection & gave me formula and pain relief medication. She told me this DOESN'T normally happen to smaller birds and that it was the worst bruising she'd seen on a Cockatiel. Three days of medicine and formula? He was back to normal, thank goodness!

I was beyond distraught at the thought that I could lose him over not being well enough informed. I have since learned my lesson and I am always learning for his and my sake.

Please, please, PLEASE be sure to constantly check your fid's toys and hooks, I'd hate for someone else have to relive my nightmare because of something they didn't know to do.

*Bird Fever is an amazing bird store.
I hate to even call it a store, they are all well informed and put the birds FIRST, always. I had called to warn them that maybe the hook was defective on the bed I bought there, they wanted me to bring him in to check him out and see how bad it was. They were the ones to call the vet on her day off to schedule the appointment and made sure to call and check up on him. I'm beyond grateful for them & Dr. Ellen Cook.
I know this is an older post but I'm catching up. What type of hood did your bird get caught in? The pics are gone (at least they are for me) but I'm genuinely curious!

Currently setting up my cockatiel cage and I want it to be safe for him.

Thanks!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know this is an older post but I'm catching up. What type of hood did your bird get caught in? The pics are gone (at least they are for me) but I'm genuinely curious!

Currently setting up my cockatiel cage and I want it to be safe for him.

Thanks!

Usually they come with lanyard hooks:

These and key rings, etc, are not safe for birds as they can get their beaks caught in them.

Are also unsafe.

Oval quicklinks are the safest:

upload_2019-4-10_12-1-37.jpeg

and pear links are usually safe also

upload_2019-4-10_12-2-6.jpeg

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
Oh, okay.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I would just like to add, be careful with bells!

My little budgie got his beak stuck in a bell, on his favorite mirror in the middle of the night, he hung himself there, he was found in the morning, it was too late :(

Make sure if you buy a toy with a bell, that the bell is wide, small bells are a big hazard, I would know, don't let that happen to your bird.

I never trusted bells again, although when i had other birds, i did buy more toys with bells, but made sure they were really wide.

I unfortunately don't have a picture... i destroyed the mirror....

Last edited:

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
I would just like to add, be careful with bells!

My little budgie got his beak stuck in a bell, on his favorite mirror in the middle of the night, he hung himself there, he was found in the morning, it was too late :(

Make sure if you buy a toy with a bell, that the bell is wide, small bells are a big hazard, I would know, don't let that happen to your bird.

I never trusted bells again, although when i had other birds, i did buy more toys with bells, but made sure they were really wide.

I unfortunately don't have a picture... i destroyed the mirror....
aw im sorry for your loss :(

Steff

Meeting neighbors
My sons sun conure got his beak stuck in a bell also but luckily he was there to remove it. No more bells for him.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My sons sun conure got his beak stuck in a bell also but luckily he was there to remove it. No more bells for him.
Yes, exactly. They can be really dangerous. Glad he was ok.

I bought safety bells, this last time. Buddy kept busting the inside part that holds the clapper. These will be around forever because he can't get to the clapper.

View attachment 301036
Yeah, that's probably a lot safer! if the beak can't get inside, then it can't get stuck, so it's a win.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
I am posting this because a couple members of other forums I have been on over the years have had issues (including DEATHS of their fids).

Bird ladders and swings with a hook on it are HIGHLY dangerous. I have seen (very graphic) photos of parakeets, lovebirds, and cockatiels being seriously injured or killed (most of the time bird did not make it :() from these toys going threw their heads. I can find the old threads with the photos if you really want to see them. They instantly made me reconsider EVER buying anything like these.

View attachment 71036

This swing is easy to replace the hook with a safe clasp that fully closes. The ladder I do not know a way to fix. I went out and bought a rope one with a safer clasp.

View attachment 71037
I had bought a few toys that are on the way and one of them is a ladder that I really liked the look of, I immediately checked if here was any hooks on it, luckily it’s safe :)