• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

!! Dangerous toys list !!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
What's the beaded mirror?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Oh, interesting. I've got one of those three-panel mirrors, but it has no bars/beads. Sherbs sometimes admires herself in it.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:omg: Wow, I never would have thought! I don’t use those, but thanks for posting.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Geeze, that is horrifying! :scared4:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poor baby. Glad her mama found her.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
It looks like that was hung up with a piece of rope? I occasionally use these to offer millet treats. The toy originally comes with a plastic bar that goes across the top. A parakeet would have a much harder time getting in if the bar was used instead of rope. The bar also has a hook for hanging, when this hook is used the top opening is close to the top of the cage (if that's where it's being used), also helping to prevent a bird getting in like that.

I'm not saying this toy is 100% safe, no toy is, but just a heads up for people who do use these. If you use them properly the chances of this happening are pretty slim. It is only plastic and is meant for small birds, a larger bird could easily chew the bar up and get its head stuck in the cone.

You can see how close the opening is to the cage when hung properly

IMG_7724.JPG

IMG_7725.JPG

With the bar in place a parakeet would have a difficult (but not impossible) time getting through

IMG_7722.JPG

IMG_7723.JPG

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It looks like that was hung up with a piece of rope? I occasionally use these to offer millet treats. The toy originally comes with a plastic bar that goes across the top. A parakeet would have a much harder time getting in if the bar was used instead of rope. The bar also has a hook for hanging, when this hook is used the top opening is close to the top of the cage (if that's where it's being used), also helping to prevent a bird getting in like that.

I'm not saying this toy is 100% safe, no toy is, but just a heads up for people who do use these. If you use them properly the chances of this happening are pretty slim. It is only plastic and is meant for small birds, a larger bird could easily chew the bar up and get its head stuck in the cone.

You can see how close the opening is to the cage when hung properly

View attachment 285511

View attachment 285512

With the bar in place a parakeet would have a difficult (but not impossible) time getting through

View attachment 285513

View attachment 285514

That's good to know! Thank you!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Balls with slots...
Thursday, Fiona was doing her favorite thing, licking the water I was spraying off the balls in the cage
next to her rope perch at top. They both loved this.

So I'm on the phone, and next thing I know I look over and Fiona's foot is stuck in the darn hole in the ball. I quickly (but calmly?) hang up. I am trying not to panic, but I had just read that morning about a budgie with a broken leg. :(
I am thinking of pliers, and crushing the ball. Fat chance I'd get shiny pliers in there right next to her without freaking her out. Then I think about the jigsaw. Oh man. I opted for grabbing the ball that has her foot captive and gently turn it toward her. IT WORKS! Her foot was free, and luckily no injuries.
Thank goodness I didn't have to try to take her out of the cage or scare her worse than she was.
BAD BALLS! They get a spanking, and OUT of the cage they go.

BALLS BAD BUDGIES OCTOBER 2018.jpg

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Balls with slots...
Thursday, Fiona was doing her favorite thing, licking the water I was spraying off the balls in the cage
next to her rope perch at top. They both loved this.

So I'm on the phone, and next thing I know I look over and Fiona's foot is stuck in the darn hole in the ball. I quickly (but calmly?) hang up. I am trying not to panic, but I had just read that morning about a budgie with a broken leg. :(
I am thinking of pliers, and crushing the ball. Fat chance I'd get shiny pliers in there right next to her without freaking her out. Then I think about the jigsaw. Oh man. I opted for grabbing the ball that has her foot captive and gently turn it toward her. IT WORKS! Her foot was free, and luckily no injuries.
Thank goodness I didn't have to try to take her out of the cage or scare her worse than she was.
BAD BALLS! They get a spanking, and OUT of the cage they go.

View attachment 287885
If you need a substitute, these balls are fantastic. I buy both of these because eventually my birds play with them so hard, that they end up wearing out and breaking. I then transfer the jingly part to the slotted ball. The slotted ones are a softer plastic, but my birds LOVE throwing them around.

2" Bird Ball
2" Slotted Ball White

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My goodness! Thank goodness she came outta it all Ok!

:mykid: Rain

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:bump8: such an important thread for us to read from beginning to end so I bumped

Lily’s mom

Meeting neighbors
I am posting this because a couple members of other forums I have been on over the years have had issues (including DEATHS of their fids).

Bird ladders and swings with a hook on it are HIGHLY dangerous. I have seen (very graphic) photos of parakeets, lovebirds, and cockatiels being seriously injured or killed (most of the time bird did not make it :() from these toys going threw their heads. I can find the old threads with the photos if you really want to see them. They instantly made me reconsider EVER buying anything like these.

View attachment 71037
How are the hooks on the ladder dangerous? :0

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
How are the hooks on the ladder dangerous? :0
Adventurous birds get the hook around their neck and get pinned to the cage. They panic and wind up breaking their necks.

My Budgie nearly died. He would have if I hadn't been home at that time. It was horrible.