• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dallas Zoo "Birds Landing"

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Several months ago(December I think), I visited the Dallas Zoo in Texas. There was one specific feature that I loved. It's called Birds Landing. It's this aviary(not super big, maybe 30'x20') with different birds in it, and they give you a treat stick thing, and you walk in and can feed the birds. For me, a cockatiel landed on my hand. That is the only time I've ever touched/held a parrot. It was spectacular, and cockatiels are definitely my favorite birds now. My only question is if an African Gray, cockatiels, and other species could get along in an aviary safely. They had an "airlock" and made you wash your hands before you went in, and told you that the birds were going to land on you so you wouldn't be surprised.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The last time I was there they had only budgies. Gobs and gobs of gorgeous budgies in every color! The nephews loved it! pigeons-smiley-emoticon.gif

Could the larger birds possibly have been sectioned off by zoo netting? It might be a little tough to see against a canopy of trees.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
The last time I was there they had only budgies. Gobs and gobs of gorgeous budgies in every color! The nephews loved it! View attachment 358444

Could the larger birds possibly have been sectioned off by zoo netting? It might be a little tough to see against a canopy of trees.
Quite possibly. I was really paying more attention to the ADORABLE tiel on my hand. :tieln:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
@Zonlover I know I'm late, but I've been there! I loved all of it, especially the African Grey and my friend had a cute green cheek conure land on them! Did ya'll see the other parrots outside the aviary?:xflove:

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
Ahh I’ve been there too! It was only tiels and parakeets when I went (maybe a year or two ago?) and it was so much fun seeing them bathing in the water features and flitting around :loveshower:

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
They also, in a different area, had this MASSIVE aviary(maybe 150x50 and 60 ft tall) with wild duck species in it(and maybe other birds, I don't remember), that had a wire mesh "tunnel" through it that you could walk through.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Maaan, I need to go back next year, I can't remember anything. :sour: Stupid bad memory genes
Lol. I don't remember that much either. They had the cutest Umbrella cockatoo when I was there. He was on a stand sectioned off with rope. He plucked his chest bald. He liked my attention and danced up and down for me. So sweet, I wished I could have pet him!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Here he is. #2 is mid-dance:)
Dallas Zoo 2.jpg Dallas Zoo 6.jpg
And here are two macaws at the front of the zoo. Dallas Zoo 1.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Ali