• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Daily Bird Rescue Happenings :)

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
There is always bustling fun at the rescue so I thought I would chat about it a bit. Let me know if this is interesting to read about? I'm not sure if anyone would enjoy lol

Me and one of our female blue-and-golds are becoming friends. She is mostly naked, only has head feathers and flight feathers. She steps up for me. I sat with her on the back of my chair, feeding her nuts and scritching her head. We are becoming more comfortable together. She makes little hiss/whoosh noises and pins her eyes, but in a friendly way. She says hello... rarely. And she's HEAVY.

We have some really nice little birds right now. When I go in to feed and water them I let a bunch up them out and we have a ball. Lots of them fly to my head, shoulder, or hang off my clothes.
Several of the quakers are fun, friendly, good birds. I love our newest one! He is glued to my shoulder, playing with my earrings and shirt. He gives kisses and lets me do just about anything to him. Snuggles, kisses, scritches. He can be fiesty, has flown to people when they walk in and bit them. Possibly possessive over me. But I can't get over how sweet he is.
Another quaker is such a well-mannered girl. She is an angel with nearly everyone. Flies around, likes being pet, steps up reliably, flies to shoulders and heads. Quiet and gentle. She is a good, good girl.
One isn't hand-tame, but follows me around the room. He will ride on my head and shoulder for a good while. He plays peekaboo and gives kisses as well. I had to towel him recently to put him in his cage, so I sat down and got some of his head pin feathers. He had so many, total porcupine. He closed his eyes for a part of it.

A lot of our Toos are friendly, but we have a female umbrella (part of a bonded pair) who is sweet as pie to most women. She likes walking on the floor to me, untying my shoes and destroying the laces, climbing up my jeans, and playing/feeling the fabric of my clothes. She likes to stick her head down my shirt, it tickles. She loves to dance too and has a sweet voice.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
What fun! I was just volunteered to be the adoptions/foster coordinator for my local bird club, and I feel like I am so out of my element! The club is 100% volunteer based, and we accept surrendered birds and re-home them. We are also often called on to help catch loose birds -- and most of those are never reclaimed by owners. We don't have a facility and rely on members to foster birds; when we have a week like last week, when I was contacted by five people about taking 6 birds (5 budgies and a 14 year old male umbrella cockatoo), it gets a little overwhelming. (I already have two cockatoos, a TAG, and around 30 budgies/parrotlets in various foster homes.) Then there is the whole complicated matter of adoptions -- oy! I feel like I need a support group just for this stuff!

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Sound like your having fun :D

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
What fun! I was just volunteered to be the adoptions/foster coordinator for my local bird club, and I feel like I am so out of my element! The club is 100% volunteer based, and we accept surrendered birds and re-home them. We are also often called on to help catch loose birds -- and most of those are never reclaimed by owners. We don't have a facility and rely on members to foster birds; when we have a week like last week, when I was contacted by five people about taking 6 birds (5 budgies and a 14 year old male umbrella cockatoo), it gets a little overwhelming. (I already have two cockatoos, a TAG, and around 30 budgies/parrotlets in various foster homes.) Then there is the whole complicated matter of adoptions -- oy! I feel like I need a support group just for this stuff!
Oh wow sounds like quite the job. I would like to be a part of a foster group like that, I have always admired and tried to be a good foster home. My Too would not approve though. We have a TAG at the rescue, pretty species. Do you have birds of your own?
We get quite a few lost birds that are never claimed. More little birds, but we used to have a SC2 found at a duck park.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
You and all the parrots are sure having a good time together and I know the birds appreciate the time and attention you give them.

A word of advice though (and I speak from experience): Quakers are notorious jewel thieves and will steal earrings, bracelets and other jewelry and they'll reset digital watches too. :D You might want to take off your jewelry before interacting with the parrots. :)

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
I do have birds -- Lucy, my Hahn's in the photo and a little male Budgie we just call Budgie Boy! My family finds birds interesting but they are not as involved as I am. They "allow" me to have one foster bird at a time, so currently I have a Goffin's that the club had fostered and adopted out, and then he was returned less than a month later. He's a sweet guy, and I thought this adopter would do well with him, as she seemed to understand diet requirements and how to slowly acclimate a bird to a new home, but I suspect that George's hormonal tendencies were not respected, as she said he attacked "everyone else" in the house but "loved" her. I did catch her petting him under his wings and stroking him all the way down his back several times, even though we discussed the dangers of doing that. Since he has been back with me (for about 3 weeks) he has not attempted or even given waring signs that he was about to "attack" anyone.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
You and all the parrots are sure having a good time together and I know the birds appreciate the time and attention you give them.

A word of advice though (and I speak from experience): Quakers are notorious jewel thieves and will steal earrings, bracelets and other jewelry and they'll reset digital watches too. :D You might want to take off your jewelry before interacting with the parrots. :)
Thank you. I was thinking about making a little birdie necklace they could play with in place of jewelry. Maybe use some beads and colorful straws.

I do have birds -- Lucy, my Hahn's in the photo and a little male Budgie we just call Budgie Boy! My family finds birds interesting but they are not as involved as I am. They "allow" me to have one foster bird at a time, so currently I have a Goffin's that the club had fostered and adopted out, and then he was returned less than a month later. He's a sweet guy, and I thought this adopter would do well with him, as she seemed to understand diet requirements and how to slowly acclimate a bird to a new home, but I suspect that George's hormonal tendencies were not respected, as she said he attacked "everyone else" in the house but "loved" her. I did catch her petting him under his wings and stroking him all the way down his back several times, even though we discussed the dangers of doing that. Since he has been back with me (for about 3 weeks) he has not attempted or even given waring signs that he was about to "attack" anyone.
My family is the same way! I was curious because my Too has been tested, but my budgies haven't and that would probably be a deal breaker for fostering.
Cockatoos are sensitive. Often jealous, if not careful.