• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cyprus, 7th EU member state with a Positive List

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm not sure if this has already been posted.
I know the conversation in Spain around this list has flared back up again this last month.

Spain is in the process of applying the new list as law but there's no set date.
A few people have been talking about the smaller parrots like lovebirds and hoping they won't be on the list but I'm led to believe they will be because their image has been used all over flyers alongside monkeys snakes and other exotics.

Alongside this, in Andalucía, Spain there is still confusion RE the new regulations to the animal welfare laws that include prohibiting owning more than five "pets", that are in the final stages of approval, as to whether this applies to parrots. Personally I don't think it does but I have an open ear just in case.
This will also introduce the prohibition of breeding pets outside of registered breeders.

I wonder how many more EU countries will adopt the Positive list. Are the other counties in process?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Pretty soon they will regulate your entire life. I hate gooberments full of people who don't have a clue making rules for everyone.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I get having regulations but these things seem way too strict.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some rules are necessary, but they're not necessarily enforced... See this thread on the illegal tiger lounging on someone's lawn.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Are the other counties in process?
Animal law in Canada is (embarrassingly!) in backwoods territory.

Some rules are necessary, but they're not necessarily enforced.
A quick googlling says keeping a tiger in Houston is illegal, but legal with restrictions in the rest of the state. Which says so much about how we try to address problems with keeping animals through legislation. It's a mess.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Spain is in the process of applying the new list as law but there's no set date.
They approved the draft :nocomment:

Article 31;
¨ c. Adoptar las medidas necesarias para evitar la reproducción incontrolada de los animales de compañía. Los animales que se mantengan o tengan acceso al exterior de las viviendas y puedan tener contacto no controlado con otros animales, deberán estar esterilizados. En el caso de que en una misma vivienda o ubicación haya animales de la misma especie y de distintos sexos, y no puedan permanecer separados, al menos todos los miembros de uno de los sexos deben estar esterilizados, salvo en el caso de personas inscritas en el Registro de Criadores. ¨
If you have an animal that can go outside and meet other animals unsupervised (like a cat), they need to be sterilized. Ok fine... but then it says;
If in the same house there are animals of the same species of opposite sexes and can´t be kept separate, then at least all the members of one sex must be sterilized, except in the case of people on the breeders register.
WTH?!
So, I will need seven cages and split up my bonded pairs and have them all be heartbroken, or sterilize my 3 girls? Sounds like a load of rubbish quite frankly... I wonder if my dummy eggs will count of if they won´t trust that?
I´m honestly thinking of just applying to be put on the breeder register. I´d rather put in the paperwork for that than split my birds up.

NOT looking forward to this!
There are also talks of the 5 pet rule in Andalucia being sparked again. Can´t trust how reliable it is or if folks are just freaking out.

LovieLouie

They approved the draft :nocomment:

Article 31;
¨ c. Adoptar las medidas necesarias para evitar la reproducción incontrolada de los animales de compañía. Los animales que se mantengan o tengan acceso al exterior de las viviendas y puedan tener contacto no controlado con otros animales, deberán estar esterilizados. En el caso de que en una misma vivienda o ubicación haya animales de la misma especie y de distintos sexos, y no puedan permanecer separados, al menos todos los miembros de uno de los sexos deben estar esterilizados, salvo en el caso de personas inscritas en el Registro de Criadores. ¨
If you have an animal that can go outside and meet other animals unsupervised (like a cat), they need to be sterilized. Ok fine... but then it says;
If in the same house there are animals of the same species of opposite sexes and can´t be kept separate, then at least all the members of one sex must be sterilized, except in the case of people on the breeders register.
WTH?!
So, I will need seven cages and split up my bonded pairs and have them all be heartbroken, or sterilize my 3 girls? Sounds like a load of rubbish quite frankly... I wonder if my dummy eggs will count of if they won´t trust that?
I´m honestly thinking of just applying to be put on the breeder register. I´d rather put in the paperwork for that than split my birds up.

NOT looking forward to this!
There are also talks of the 5 pet rule in Andalucia being sparked again. Can´t trust how reliable it is or if folks are just freaking out.
That’s ridiculous!!
How would they regulate this?? Like how would they even know if your birds weren’t separated. Besides they can’t tell wether or not there are females mixed with males.... not with lovebirds at least ... who’s to say your whole flock isn’t all “girls”?! I know this doesn’t work with all birds but still I can’t see how they would be able to enforce these rules...

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And I wonder if one is supposed to constantly monitor the birds’ out-of-cage time to be sure no shenanigans are happening. Or perhaps the intent is that only same-sex animals should be able allowed to socialize? Seems quite unmanageable.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
who’s to say your whole flock isn’t all “girls”?! I know this doesn’t work with all birds but still I can’t see how they would be able to enforce these rules...
I think the laws would be in place but really, only those who get snitched on might get an inspection? There are a lot more stricter laws RE animal wellbeing, so it will help when reporting cases of animal neglect or abuse.
As for knowing the sex, all they would need to do is pluck a single feather....

Or perhaps the intent is that only same-sex animals should be able allowed to socialize?
I don´t have enough time in the day to offer single flight time for my birds. One time when the girls has eggs, I let all the boys out together and it was a nightmare, fighting and bickering was rife. So flying all the boys together is not something I want to do.

I have a feeling that we will have to declare the pets we own, especially the exotics.
Other things on the list were a requirement of an annual vet visit per year, and also if you have pets that need company, and their friend passes away, you must offer another companion, for eg rabbits.
There was also a part about offering enrichment and adecuate housing, but they havenñ´t been specific yet. Not leaving any pet more than 3 days alone (24 hours for dogs), no leaving animals in cars unless there´s an emergency (I think they mean like evacuations etc).

Some stuff I think is good, others not so much. I just hope the bit about mixing sexes doesn´t get approved.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I must admit that I would love it if everyone who owns pets could be educated so that they would act in that animal's best interest. But legislating pet owner behavior to that detail will, in my opinion, lead to a surge of abandoned or killed animals if/when enacted. What I would love to see is a required education program for potential pet owners prior to purchasing/adopting a pet. An education program and home visit were part of my adopting from the parrot rescue, and I know it has benefitted many birds.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s excessive. What if you have two elderly rabbits & one dies. Maybe they were going to be your only two. Should you be forced to get another? Most buns won’t like that & they’re like birds - picky about their friends.

LovieLouie

It’s excessive. What if you have two elderly rabbits & one dies. Maybe they were going to be your only two. Should you be forced to get another? Most buns won’t like that & they’re like birds - picky about their friends.
I was just going to say this exactly!!
I had 2 Guinea pigs they have been together since the day we got them at 8weeks old. They recently turned 6 and one passed. The other didn’t eat or drink great the first few days as she’s never been without her sister but since then she has been doing well. Lifespan for piggies is approx 4-8 yrs . Now she can potentially (hopefully) live to 8yrs. old but adding a new pig could stress her out -they might not even get along and then I would have to separate them ...so what’s the point of having a 2nd one if I have to separate anyway. Who does that help/benefit??

I understand what they are trying to do what they think is best for the animals but it’s never that cut and dry or one size fits all...

Some of it is good but most of it seems a logistical nightmare and not for the pets wellbeing... :(