• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cypress recovery..

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Cypress bounced back fast.. this morning he is eating millet, eating seed mix from my hand, and still willing to drink water from my syringe so I *know* he is getting some of the medicine in him. He still sat on my shoulder for a bit even though he's perky and not half dead today :xflove:
His weight went back up 1 gram. He is pooping.

And his poor little toe seems ok.. at least it feels like he is gripping with it.

He needs a good bath but he's not going to enjoy another towel bath and I'm nervous about letting him expend too much energy bathing himself.. maybe I could take his cage into the shower and let him get some warm spray on him.

But I'm finding myself reluctant to stop babying him. When should I take the seed mix/millet away and make him eat pellets again?
When should I let him go home to his brother?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends…how’s that for an answer, lol! You are medicating both birds, is that right? If you can get Cypress to take his medicine while in the large cage, then maybe it’s ok to return him there. If he has to be toweled and you want to conserve his energy, then maybe keep him in the travel cage for the duration of the medication.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Yeah I am medicating both, but thankfully it just gets mixed into their water.
1/2 cup water and 1mL baytril - I'm mixing it up and then splitting it between their dishes. I've not had an issue with them refusing medicated water - but I've been giving Cypress extra water direct from the syringe to be sure.

In his tiny cage when I offer him the syringe he is just coming over and drinking it - he probably won't do that in the big cage lol. But it's not necessary anyway.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Although there is also the fact that the room he is in is currently being kept at 80 degrees, and the rest of the house is more like 72

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suppose it’s a matter of allowing him to rest and recuperate while the medicine has time to work?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
He actually might be fine going back to normal - I'm not LOL. Not ready to give up the control I have over his rest, his water, his poops, and his cuddles... but for how long is that fair :roflmao: