• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cypress is sick! I'm freaking out!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
All the water I gave him came right out the other end.. completely clear droppings.
Realized the hours are posted wrong on persmart/banfield, they don't open for another hour.

Got bf to go out for veggie baby food and baby oatmeal to try to get some kind of nutrients in him by syringe. He doesn't like it.

But after holding him on my chest for a long time he is perching again for now.. :sad5:

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Bah, good news and bad news..

Bad
Still no return calls from anyone. I've left messages with all the vets who see birds even though they are closed. Their websites all refer to the same local emergency clinic for after hours, but I called all three of their locations and they don't see birds. How dumb.
The banfield place is still jot answering their phone or return ing messages, but I'm afraid to take him there anyway. Too many horror stories about petsmart and birds.

At this point I guess I just want to keep his body going till monday..

Good
He has perked up. He is refusing my food mixture but actually ate some millet! He still wants to sleep and snuggle on my chest but he is responsive and not too physically weak.
He also started trying to preen some of dried vomit I haven't been able to get off his neck feathers.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Concentrate on the good. He ate some millet, right?

I have no idea what to give itty bitty birds. When MC was ill, I just gave him every favorite of his that I could think of. I would sit and talk and hold his food bowls. Anything to get food in him.

Nobody gets the feelings like we do. I've been there.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Vet just called! Will meet her at clinic I'm am hour.
He is looking "good", did not eat enough millet to sustain him im sure but actually had a poop with fecal matter in it.
He is preening and not puffy.

Still, he wants to sit on my shoulder and is letting me pet his head, which he never ever allows - I hate that right now.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
He is "full of germs". Got an injection of baytril and some to put in his and Citrines water for awhile.

Sad thing his travel cage *fell* off the table while she was getting supplies and he has a bloody toe now!
It's my fault cause I didn't unscrew the k and h heater, it was heavy on that side.
She said it could be broken but it looks in alignment so we will leave it for now and if he's having an issue bring him back tomorrow to get it wrapped up.

I feel a bit silly because he was so awake by the time we got to the vet and even had one poop that was completely normal - not green/black or runny!

I swear at 9 am this morning I thought he was going to die within hours.

Did I overreact or did something I did save his life? I don't feel like I did much, barely got any food or water in him. He just seemed to decide to live again.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
The small birds are very fragile so I think slightly overreacting is fine. If you ignore it and he drops over suddenly you'd be devastated. You're doing the best you can for him and it sounds like he's getting better between you and his vet so I think he'll turn the corner and get well now but he knows you love him and he's safe so that's a good thing.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I never think you can over react when it comes to a sick small bird. I rushed my tiel Sunny to the vet many times. I am glad you got to see a vet today. Also you may want to ask your vet about giving them probiotics too.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
The small amount of water and pedialyte you were able to give him, might have been enough to keep him fighting. Budgies do not drink a lot.