• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cuttlebones

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
I have one in both sides of my cage for Rally and Nitro. Rally loves his cuttlebone and it's usually gone within a few days, but Nitro just ignores it. I got her a flavored one instead of a normal one and she nibbled on it for a while, but still shows no real interest. Does anyone else have a bird like this?

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
They'll use them when they need them - it's sort of like a internal clock thing - their bodies know when they need it

but then there are some who just love to destroy them (I have a lot of those types of birds my blue quakers takes theirs to their nest box LOL)

but You can scrape some of it off onto the food for them to get the taste of it, this has helped a lot of people get their birds to use theirs

another thing we do is hang it near a food dish Either beside one or above one. with some of ours anything near a food dish they devour We've moved them away from food dishes and they won't touch them or Even stand on them,like they do when they're near a food dish.

ellimaye

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ellie
Yes, my Joey shows absolutely no interest in cuttlebones. I have heard stories where cuttlebones can harm a bird by way of internal bleeding. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? BTW, while Joey doesn't like the cuttle bones she LOVES the Calcium perches made from bees pollen and calcium. (And they are good for her);)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Yes, my Joey shows absolutely no interest in cuttlebones. I have heard stories where cuttlebones can harm a bird by way of internal bleeding. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? BTW, while Joey doesn't like the cuttle bones she LOVES the Calcium perches made from bees pollen and calcium. (And they are good for her);)

i've read that too but it's more when the cuttle bone gets down to pretty much just a "shell" and starts breaking off in really sharp points that can cut them when they eat on it

but when its new they're more or less scraping it with their beak so they're getting dust, or if they do they bite into it, its still nice and thick so there isn't much of a sharp part to it.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Toc devours his - Cookie is not interested at all. I scrape some in her dish every once in a while, like Kelli suggested.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
My fids eat cuttlebone sometimes but I scrape it into the mash every week also

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't feed cuttle bones as its from a fish. I feed calcium type fresh produce type foods :) I am one of those people who doesn't think cuddlebones are needed. If your already feeding a very healthy diet, cuttle bones or vitamins are not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.