• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cuttlebone shortage??

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
I haven’t been able to find cuttlebone in the 4 pest stores around me for months and months. Is been so long and my budgies love that stuff. I bought them mineral blocks in the shape of a heart but they won’t touch it. Does anyone know how I can get them to use it?? They don’t understand that it is cuttlebone hahaha . They aren’t interested in the egg shell technique either. I’ve bought cuttlebone online once. Never again. It smelled like urine so I threw it out and got a refund. Any help??

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Also is anyone else having a cuttlebone shortage?? I live in Canada and some bird friends told me they haven’t been able to find it either…

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Have you tried contacting a local parrot society or budgie breeder to see if they could refer anyone who has some?

Momof3litt

I'm in Canada too and there have been a few times I haven't seen it in the store, but have always been able to get one online. What part of the country are you in? I'm in the Ottawa area and just saw some in a local store a few days ago.

Just FYI, cuttlebone is actually a bony structure from a cuttlefish, containing mostly calcium, while mineral block is made of a variety of mineral salts. They are not interchangeable, nor are either necessary for birds with complete diets. My birds do love to groom their beaks on the cuttlebone though, so I feel your pain on not being able to find it!

Ark

Avenue Veteran
I noticed this too in the USA. When my bird was laying eggs a few months ago, I tried a Petsmart, Petco, and Walmart and couldn't find any. I actually did manage to find a single pack left on a bottom shelf in a different Petsmart but it was mango flavored and my bird wouldn't touch it. There are lots of shortages going around right now (wet cat food as well in my area) so this seems to be just another item hit by it.

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I’m in Ontario. I do want to buy online but I’m worried they’ll arrive spoiled. I am aware it isn’t a must, but my birds love it and it’s like a toy for them!! Any recommendations to buy online?? Maybe somewhere on Amazon so I can get it shipped within a few days…

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
I noticed this too in the USA. When my bird was laying eggs a few months ago, I tried a Petsmart, Petco, and Walmart and couldn't find any. I actually did manage to find a single pack left on a bottom shelf in a different Petsmart but it was mango flavored and my bird wouldn't touch it. There are lots of shortages going around right now (wet cat food as well in my area) so this seems to be just another item hit by it.
Yess the only ones that are barely in stock are the mango fruit ones as well. I don’t like buying them because I’m pretty sure they’re loaded with artificial colours and possibly sweeteners???

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Mine like the strawberry beak blocks. They polish their beaks on them. I believe they have both calcium & minerals. Unfortunately, my birds won’t eat a balanced diet yet.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Cuttlefish bones are just toys or grooming tools. Not a part of the diet. A laying bird needs a heavy pellet leaning diet and/or a supplement.

I don´t buy them, but when I go to Cadiz the beach is usually full of them so I fill a bag full and bring them home, give them a good, good boil and let them dry completely in the sun before giving them to my birds to play with.

If you were worrying about the shortage because of dietry reasons, I owuldn´t worry about it. If you want them for toys/grooming, try buying online and boiling them.

SunTruth

I was not aware that cuttlebone were a thing for bird.

Is this some kind of supplement and should I give it to my senegal parrot?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is this some kind of supplement and should I give it to my senegal parrot?
Does your bird eat pellets? Fresh vegetables and fruits ?

Skyandkiwi

Real Name
Misk
Cuttlefish bones are just toys or grooming tools. Not a part of the diet. A laying bird needs a heavy pellet leaning diet and/or a supplement.

I don´t buy them, but when I go to Cadiz the beach is usually full of them so I fill a bag full and bring them home, give them a good, good boil and let them dry completely in the sun before giving them to my birds to play with.

If you were worrying about the shortage because of dietry reasons, I owuldn´t worry about it. If you want them for toys/grooming, try buying online and boiling them.
Alright will try the boiling and sun technique. Thank youu

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, there is a worldwide shortage due to COVID. Most cuttlebone is processed and shipped from China.

Momof3litt

I’m in Ontario. I do want to buy online but I’m worried they’ll arrive spoiled. I am aware it isn’t a must, but my birds love it and it’s like a toy for them!! Any recommendations to buy online?? Maybe somewhere on Amazon so I can get it shipped within a few days…
Parrot Trends is one of my go-to places. In Ottawa, Critter Jungle, but I dont think they have online shopping.

Last edited by a moderator:

StellaLuna

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stella
Also is anyone else having a cuttlebone shortage?? I live in Canada and some bird friends told me they haven’t been able to find it either…
I did for a while, but it seems to be available again in my area.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think birds will do fine without them.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Late to this thread. I see wild cuttle bones washed up on the beaches so I had no idea there was a shortage over there. I personally don't supply cuttle bone to my birds.

Water soluble calcium grit is likely a better option than cuttle bone for those searching for an alternative. Parrots DO NOT need insoluble grit. This link may be of interest.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I see wild cuttle bones washed up on the beaches
Do you collect them for the finches?
I find them when I visit Cadiz, so I bring a few handfuls home, wash them and let the birds rub their beaks on them.