• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bird_mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shay
Hi! I’ve been wanting to introduce some vitamins into my CAG and GCC’s diet, Romeo (CAG) gets fresh veggies, occasional fruit, some safflower seed mix (no peanuts or sunflower) and Lefeber pellets and ZuPreem natural pellets. And my extremely picky girl Tokyo gets her safflower seed mix (no peanuts or sunflower) but runs away from veggies and tosses pellets. I wanted to know if there are any mineral/vitamin blocks for my babies?I want to make sure they’re getting enough VitaD, but I don’t want to get cuttlebone because I’ve heard about too much calcium, and I’ve been gifted ground oyster shells-but again I’m concerned about them not being able to absorb the calcium. Thank you! :heart::heart:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
To my knowledge, oyster shells and mineral blocks shouldn't be used with parrots. There are plenty of fresh foods that you could add to their diets in different ways. For dark leafy greens, I'd have to finely chop or food process them to coat other, more desirable, foods. My flock simply will not munch on a piece of kale, sadly. I've got to manipulate the food into their diets through trickery and creative presentation. Foods you could add include kale, mustard greens, almonds, yellow peppers, chile peppers, thyme, parsley, cruciferous vegetables (Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli), and sweet potato.

bird_mama

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shay
To my knowledge, oyster shells and mineral blocks shouldn't be used with parrots. There are plenty of fresh foods that you could add to their diets in different ways. For dark leafy greens, I'd have to finely chop or food process them to coat other, more desirable, foods. My flock simply will not munch on a piece of kale, sadly. I've got to manipulate the food into their diets through trickery and creative presentation. Foods you could add include kale, mustard greens, almonds, yellow peppers, chile peppers, thyme, parsley, cruciferous vegetables (Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli), and sweet potato.
Thank you so much! I’ll buy a food processor instead of a mineral block.