• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cuttlebone Cleaning?

Royal Budgie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabelle
My budgie, Navi, managed to poop on his cuttlebone somehow. My mom was skeptical about scraping it off, so she refused. I put a bit of hot water on the spot, but I don’t know if that’s good enough.

I hope it’s not ruined :-:

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
My budgie, Navi, managed to poop on his cuttlebone somehow. My mom was skeptical about scraping it off, so she refused. I put a bit of hot water on the spot, but I don’t know if that’s good enough.
Congratulations! Budgies are fun and sooooo precious! :leslieatwork:
My budgie, JoJo, has "proudly" pooped on his cuttlebone before. How he does is one of those unsolved mysteries. I just scrape it off and put it back.
This won't be the only time or the only way Navi will surprise you! I've found that dish covers really help with budgies!
Assumedly, this happened on the front/soft side. Something tells me that a little water wouldn't hurt it anyway.

@SquawksNibbles and @Jas both have multiple budgies so surely have had this happen lots and can advise you, too.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
I tend to keep them at the top of the cage and even then there's still a little poop, they use them as perches.

I just scrape poop off with a spoon or butter knife (one that you won't need), or a finger nail and then just give it back.

Water won't damage or ruin the cuttlefish mine have had a whole water bowl tipped on themand still been fine. :oops2:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Just scrape it off. I'm very un-ceremonious, I just use my fingernail! lol. I'm not even sure my budgie uses his cuttlebone, but it's there if he ever wants it!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I don’t recall any of my Budgies pooping on their cuttlebones, but it is a problem with things like food bowls and such. I usually just scrape off droppings I find on any objects in their cage (in the case of toys and food bowls, I scrub these with water and soap as well). But for something like a cuttlebone, I would just scrape it off as much as you can. When you find that it’s getting too yucky, you could always just toss it and get another, if you want. I believe they’re pretty cheap and easy to find. :)