• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cuttle bones for quakers?

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
sorry if this is a silly question, but i want to get everything set before i bring my quaker home. I don't remember seeing anything about this..
Do quakers need/like cuttlebones for their beak, or is that just something budgies might like?
Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No bird on a balanced diet *needs* cuttlebone :) They are a poor form of calcium, but companies like to sell them because they are cheap ;)

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks...i was wondering if maybe it helped with their beaks..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Toys help more :) quaker beaks don't tend to grow as quickly as they aren't cavity nesters and instead build nests

Quakerlady

Meeting neighbors
sorry if this is a silly question, but i want to get everything set before i bring my quaker home. I don't remember seeing anything about this..
Do quakers need/like cuttlebones for their beak, or is that just something budgies might like?
Thanks
Thanks
I buy egg supplement from pet supermarket and mix it in their food every day. It smells delicious and they love it! Cuttlebone is mainly for calcium but they get that from the egg supplement. The perches that are scratchy are good for their nails and beaks.

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I buy egg supplement from pet supermarket and mix it in their food every day. It smells delicious and they love it! Cuttlebone is mainly for calcium but they get that from the egg supplement. The perches that are scratchy are good for their nails and beaks.
Thanks. I have 3 of those sandy perches (and a bunch of others..so hoping that will help with his beak..

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
Thanks. I have 3 of those sandy perches (and a bunch of others..so hoping that will help with his beak..
Be careful with the sandpaper perches, its quite hard on their feet! Its just like standing on sandpaper, concrete and pumice stone in my opinion are better. :D
Goodluck with your quaker, I love them!

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Be careful with the sandpaper perches, its quite hard on their feet! Its just like standing on sandpaper, concrete and pumice stone in my opinion are better. :D
I guess i didn't phrase that right..theyre not sandpaper..they look like highly textured stone perches..

Blueboi

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Goodluck with your quaker, I love
And thanks..
i brought him home after a 3 and a half hour drive..we were both tired lol. I got him settled in his cage and he fell quickly asleep