• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cute Grooming

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fishy/Bonito grooming his little rescued friend Toki (as you can see, Toki came to us missing the tips of several of his toes, but he gets along well even so).

6A34E950-E3A3-413F-99D5-E8F0C21F0BE0.jpeg
7BC92F7D-1D5C-46C6-86C6-1294F942FAA8.jpeg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ahhh so cute! Lovebirds are just the most adorable when preening each other :cloud9:

That´s a shame about Tokis toes, but glad he´s doing ok and can get around :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ahhh so cute! Lovebirds are just the most adorable when preening each other :cloud9:

That´s a shame about Tokis toes, but glad he´s doing ok and can get around :)
They are! Fishy was not interested for quite a while, though. Toki was just an annoying little fanboy to him, lol. Absolutely in love with Fishy. But gradually he decided it wasn’t so bad.

Yeah, I wish I knew about his little toes. Might’ve happened in the nest box by parents or siblings. All I know is that the people we rescued him from kept him in a dark room in a tiny, filthy cage with only sunflower seeds for food. Both food and water bowls were empty and dirty when he was handed off to us. He had hardly anything for enrichment in his cage - the one toy was one I had sent over with my mom. We just tossed everything else into the trash after we got him home.

He was the pet of a child that grabbed him whenever she wanted him and would “hold” him with a dog loose in the same area of the house. He was won in a raffle at the local bird show, just like Glitch, so he lived like that for over a year before we got him. I’m just glad he survived and that we were able to bribe them to give him to us. Got off cheap, because I was ready to pay as much as I possibly could to save him (which of course they didn’t know). Thankfully it never crossed their minds that he might be worth a whole lot more than that to me.

I’ve really got to thank my mom, because she was the one who found out about him and helped talk them into parting with him. The offer of money helped a lot. They were only holding onto him because they didn’t want the kid to be “upset”, regardless of how miserable and endangered this poor bird was.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wow that is one heck of a sad story. Poor guy for having to live that way for so long, but how fantastic he is with you now. I bet he feels like the luckiest bird in the world! Finally he has the life he deserves.
That is interesting about their relationship, my girl Adelie was like that with my ¨eldest¨ Sydney, she would follow him around all the time until he decided to see what having a friend was like. I guess some birds just take a little longer to form relationships with each other :)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow that is one heck of a sad story. Poor guy for having to live that way for so long, but how fantastic he is with you now. I bet he feels like the luckiest bird in the world! Finally he has the life he deserves.
That is interesting about their relationship, my girl Adelie was like that with my ¨eldest¨ Sydney, she would follow him around all the time until he decided to see what having a friend was like. I guess some birds just take a little longer to form relationships with each other :)
I had plenty of sleepless nights over his fate and when I was going to hear that the dog ate him, kid squished him, he died of dehydration or starvation, etc. :( I was so relieved to get him. He’s definitely happier now. He doesn’t have to live in terror and can fly, chew, and have a friend! He’s gradually becoming more trusting and less afraid of us.

Lol yes, some birdies play hard to get! Fishy is a super independent guy, so it’s not too surprising that he’d be like “heck no”. I’m honestly shocked that he has started warming up to his little stalker! Glad though, because I felt so bad for poor Toki!

Some birdies never relent. Fishy’s brother still carries a grudge from their childhood! I can only imagine it’s because Fishy wouldn’t let Twinkie burrow under him to hide and kept pushing him away, poor thing.:kickout:

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Toki really dodged a bullet...

Apparently the little girl that used to be his “owner” was laughing about her mother’s Quaker being decapitated by a raccoon. She thought it was so amusing. Lovely little psychopath, eh? The father said the little girl takes after him.

This Quaker had previously been maimed by some other wildlife and had lost an eye, but they didn’t care and his cage remained outside. I would’ve gotten him out of there as well, but the mother wouldn’t give him up because she “loved” him. What a twisted, sick little family. I pray no more animals are “loved” by these disgusting people.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Fishy/Bonito grooming his little rescued friend Toki (as you can see, Toki came to us missing the tips of several of his toes, but he gets along well even so).

View attachment 346372
View attachment 346374
I love this and I'm so happy for him that he found you. Ani was missing the tip of one of his toes when I brought him home as well, and he got around fine without it. He wasn't as good at gripping onto clothes or arms as Luna, but it definitely didn't stop him trying.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Toki really dodged a bullet...

Apparently the little girl that used to be his “owner” was laughing about her mother’s Quaker being decapitated by a raccoon. She thought it was so amusing. Lovely little psychopath, eh? The father said the little girl takes after him.

This Quaker had previously been maimed by some other wildlife and had lost an eye, but they didn’t care and his cage remained outside. I would’ve gotten him out of there as well, but the mother wouldn’t give him up because she “loved” him. What a twisted, sick little family. I pray no more animals are “loved” by these disgusting people.
oh my god! WTH?! I´m so thankful you were able to take Toki home!!! No animal deserves to live such life. I only wish they would have let you take the poor quaker home :(
And the little girl? yikes! I´d be horrified if that was my kid! (Trigger warning) Interestingly, theres a small business that makes bird cage accessories here, and they often post on their IG care tips and info (pretty good info too!) and when I first started ¨following¨ them, I was scrolling previous posts looking at their cool creations and reading the info... and I came across a picture of an owl with a decapitated lovebirds head in it´s mouth (they had posted the picture to educate about not releasing pet birds because they don´t survive) either way, I had nightmares for weeks after seeing that picture - like the ones where you wake up freaking out.
I will blur this last part for those who don´t want to read more about that sort of thing.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara We were grateful, too, but so sad for the Quaker. I feel so bad about his life and subsequent death. I wish I had the power to save all birds from such horrible people (if you can call them people - more like monsters). I told my mom before that the little girl wasn’t right, and that I’d never let her near Toki again.

Omg, what a horrible picture to see! :( Unfortunately the people it was intended for are probably immune to it. I’d have had nightmares about that, too. Just awful.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love this and I'm so happy for him that he found you. Ani was missing the tip of one of his toes when I brought him home as well, and he got around fine without it. He wasn't as good at gripping onto clothes or arms as Luna, but it definitely didn't stop him trying.
Thank you. :heart: Aww...Ani was so precious. Miss seeing his pictures and hearing about his antics.

Toki is the same - he was understandably very timid at first, but has become quite a daring little guy! He has found his sass. :D He’ll even sit on me when his boyfriend is across the room, which he would never do before.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge