• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cute Couples

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
If you have a hen that cant fly...I wouldnt be trying to breed that hen to start with...and adding a nest box to a colony will end up with dead birds....and did you name them after hannah montana? I used to have a budgie named miley before and a brandi and a noah lol

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dead birds?! That sounds awful. Totally not worth it.

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
You know what my parents don't allow me to buy a cage just to separate them from breeding

I have budgies and finches and a pair of finch laid six eggs. I told my parents that for chicks we need a separate cage and they had agreed. I'm just waiting for the chicks to hatch now. And the same goes for my budgies. For chicks I can buy a new cage nesting box and all the rest. And when you guys said professionals should do that its not like I'm forcing them to breed. Its okay if they don't also. I don't know if you guys meant this. Actually Lilly is defensive now whenever Jason tries to mate she chases him away. Or sometimes I get her out of the cage and play with her.

Jason is around 5-6 months old
Billy is around 4-5 months old
Miley is around 3-4 months old
Lilly is 3 months old

I have seen I'm a lot of videos that letting them play out of the cage makes them interested in playing instead of mating. Is this true?

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
And yeah I named them all after Hannah Montana
Glad somebody noticed

I love Miley Cyrus so much
That I named all my birds according to Hannah Montana :heart: :heart: :heart: :):):lol::hilarious::roflmao::laugh:

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I have seen I'm a lot of videos that letting them play out of the cage makes them interested in playing instead of mating. Is this true?
Not exactly, but it may help. You have to be careful, don't play with the hens if they are about to lay. You could break the egg inside and kill her.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I want to point out to everyone that mating isn't breeding. Budgies can mate for years without progucing eggs. But yes, it's totally wrong for such a young female.
One other thing. Move the cage away from the wall. That green budgie in the pic is already picking the paint off, and will be chewing on plaster soon.

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Thanks everyone
I wanted to ask if gulmohar wood is safe forbudgies i have a gulmohar tree in my area and the sizes are also great. I had searched on the internet but then I didnt find any results. Please help

Also please tell me if it is okay for finches

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
The finch egg I told you guys about. There are four chicks now. 2 hatched yesterday and the other 2 hatched the day before. Now there are 3 more eggs to hatch :heart: :laugh:

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm not sure about that specific kind of wood, but If it's safe for budgies it's safe for finches.

Congratulations on those babies! How many clutches have that pair had before?

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Don't take branches from trees and put them straight into the cage. They're covered in fungus and diseases, bugs and pests. There's a whole process before they're safe for the cage. This is what I do, some people do it differently.

1. Pick branches with a good diameter and length, from a SAFE tree. The bird's feet should fit about two thirds around the perch.
2. Soak the branches, completely submerged in diluted bleach. For every gallon or two of water, a TBSP bleach. The bleach is dangerous for the birds, so you will have do steps 4 and 5 really well. Another option is white vinegar, it's safer and works ok. If you use the vinegar, you don't need any water. Do this for at least 24 hours.
3. Rinse the branches well and let them soak in fresh, clean water (without the bleach) for a few hours, rinse again and dry.
4. Baking. Set the oven to 200 and bake the branches for about an hour.
5. Set them out in direct sunlight for at least three days, taking them back in when it rains so they don't get wet. The sunlight kills any bleach and fungus left over.

It's not hard, just a lot of waiting.

The second option you mentioned in using vinegar I didnt understand what should I do... You mentioned that there is no water needed with vinegar... Could you please be a bit more specific on that please

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
The second option you mentioned in using vinegar I didnt understand what should I do... You mentioned that there is no water needed with vinegar... Could you please be a bit more specific on that please
For bleach, you have to dilute it so it's not dangerous when it's been baked. If you use white vinegar, you don't need to add any water because it's safe enough. You just soak the branches in straight vinegar.

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Hey!! I don't have enough vinegar now and I can't buy anything because of lockdown in my city. I don't have bleach. Is there any alternative can I use detergents that is used for clothes?

Thank you

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Hey!! I don't have enough vinegar now and I can't buy anything because of lockdown in my city. I don't have bleach. Is there any alternative can I use detergents that is used for clothes?

Thank you
I don't think so.

Cutting and shaping the dowels to have a different texture will do for now if you can't get any natural perches.