• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cute Couples

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Hi
I have a young yellow budgie her name is Lilly I bought her two weeks ago because the first time when I bought a pair of budgies turned out they both were males so I bought two females two weeks earlier. Jason and Billy are males and Lilly and Miley are the females. So Lilly is a very young bird and she is just growing her primary feathers. And Jason loves her so much that he preens and feeds her. He can't stay without her. And I saw that he was trying to mate with her. But she is so young. What should I do. I have four budgies in a 2 feet cage I guess.

Please help

Thanks in advance❤❤

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
What are the dimensions of the cage? Maybe put them in separate cages?

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Idk but I'm quite sure it is enough for four. I don't have another cage and my parents won't allow me to buy one cause I have so many birds and cages at home

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Four budgies would need a very large cage. It's not easy to find a cage big enough with correct bar spacing. It's probably best to seperate them, females in one cage and males in the other. They can still be right next to each other so they don't get lonely.

Do you mean the area inside the cage is two cubic feet or like the side is two feet long? A picture will help us.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you know your female is too young to breed, you have a duty to separate her from the males.

I agree with putting the two females in a separate cage. I just learned yesterday that two females in a cage can work. Do you have any other cage in which to house the females?

In the current cage, try to get a natural perch or two as well. Apparently they're better for their feet. :)

If you can't get another cage & don't have one, I'd return the two newest budgies. Male budgies don't need female budgies.

Two male budgies are often what people recommend starting with. My first two are both males. My second two are also males, currently in quarantine. And though the first two have a flight cage, I'm seriously considering setting up a second for the 3rd & 4th, rather than dealing with 'making' them get along.

See, I'm still learning too. I thought 4 males were a shoe in. Guaranteed to get along. Unfortunately, in the same thread as I learned about females potentially getting along, I learned about males potentially never working out their differences (my first 2 had differences they successfully worked out) & not getting along... You can see where this is going. Still deciding...

I'm tagging @Destiny She's really up on budgie interpersonal relations.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Your budgies are so sweet! I love the coloring.

That cage would be an OK size for one, maybe two birds. I strongly recommend getting a second one to separate the males and females. If not, you can return two of them. I also recommend getting some natural perches, their feet need exercise and dowel perches can cause foot sores and other problems. You do have those rope circles, They could provide some rest, but they look so small I don't know if they would use them. Another thing, I don't see any toys in that cage. They may fight out of boredom, or fight because they're all on the same perch. Definitely get some shredding toys. All budgies I've met love bells, especially the ones at the bottom of toys. Make sure they're made of safe metal so they don't get heavy metal poisoning. Paper and wicker ball toys are popular.

I can see why they would fight in that cage, I hope you find a way to make things work out!

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
I'm sorry but I had never mentioned about them fighting. They don't fight. I understand that the cage lacks toys and perches. I will try to buy some or make some myself. I can't buy another cage and one more thing Lilly can't fly so whenever Jason tries to mate I put her in a small box. I can't return then because I bought them from another place and no one will buy females near me. And the circles things are not ropes they are fully solid (kind of plastics). That is a swing for them. They love it so much. Sometimes they sleep on it too. Mostly I let them out of the cage so that they are more into playing. Jason is like a magnet to Lilly whenever I put Lilly in that box Jason tries to break the cage and come out. He loves her so much. Sorry about replying very late. I am really very happy that you guys are helping me. And about the toys can I make them myself? Is it bad if I make it myself? I will surely put natural perches. Please let me know what wood types are good for them cause some can be toxic. And since I let them out they font always sit in the perch they sit on the fan, photo frames and tables... ❤

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I'm sorry but I had never mentioned about them fighting.
Oops, sorry about that! I must have mixed up threads on accident.

Yes, you can make homemade toys, as long as they use them. It may take a while for them to realize what they're for, and some never really play with toys. You can look up bird toy pictures and try to copy them. Watch out for dyes and harmful products though, do some research. This site has probably the cheapest toy parts, and they're great quality. A Bird Toy - Parrot Toys & Toy Making Supplies

Here's a list of safe wood, but watch out for red maple. Maple is listed here as safe, but red maple can have a dangerous fungus.
omlet.us/guide/parakeets/perches_for_cages/safe_wood/

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Hey @sunnitiel thanks for the information about the perches and toys. About the perches in my city I have searched in many pet stores but there are no perches. Like they don't sell perches. So I have to break branches from trees near me. Is that okay. But before I put them in the cage I can send the tree's pic here so that you guys can help me to identify whether it us safe or not. And toys I can make them myself.

Thanks...

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
But can anyone give me info about the actual problem... Jason tries to mate with her. I can't put her in another cage or buy a new one. I put her in a box cause she can't fly

:):heart: Thanks in advance

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All of this is related to the actual problem. You have a bird who's harassing another, baby bird, yet you don't have a second cage & she can't fly. Have you looked online for a back up, used cage? They're usually pretty cheap.

Jason's unlikely to stop, given your description, so you need to change the environment to be safe for both birds. Even a temporary, smaller cage would be better than nothing.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Don't take branches from trees and put them straight into the cage. They're covered in fungus and diseases, bugs and pests. There's a whole process before they're safe for the cage. This is what I do, some people do it differently.

1. Pick branches with a good diameter and length, from a SAFE tree. The bird's feet should fit about two thirds around the perch.
2. Soak the branches, completely submerged in diluted bleach. For every gallon or two of water, a TBSP bleach. The bleach is dangerous for the birds, so you will have do steps 4 and 5 really well. Another option is white vinegar, it's safer and works ok. If you use the vinegar, you don't need any water. Do this for at least 24 hours.
3. Rinse the branches well and let them soak in fresh, clean water (without the bleach) for a few hours, rinse again and dry.
4. Baking. Set the oven to 200 and bake the branches for about an hour.
5. Set them out in direct sunlight for at least three days, taking them back in when it rains so they don't get wet. The sunlight kills any bleach and fungus left over.

It's not hard, just a lot of waiting.

MileyCyrus

Strolling the yard
Thank you so much. I will see what I can do. I wanted to know from what age can budgies breed?

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Thank you so much. I will see what I can do. I wanted to know from what age can budgies breed?
No matter the age you should be discouraging breeding of any kind.
What ages are your budgies?

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Leave breeding to the professionals. So many things could go wrong and you could easily lose lives. Especially on a low budget. You would need a lot of money ready, if you got a good size cage, breeding box, vet trips, emergency vet trips, food, toys, perches, clean and quiet environment, vet trips, and more. You would also need to know everything there is to know, which eggs are fertile, what they should be eating, how big a nest box, breeding age, and so so many more. Just don't get mixed up in it. There are so many budgies in need of homes everywhere, we don't need more on the market.

Gigibirds

@Aussie Bird and @Sunni Tiel, you make good points about breeding being left to professionals, but still I think it can be ok under certain conditions: If you have the right resources, time, money, space, room, housing and all of that, AND if you have homes prepared for the babies/are able to keep them all, AND if you can make sure that all of your birds are happy, healthy and safe, then it should be ok! But, @MileyCyrus , if you can't even get another cage, then I would doubt that you are prepared to breed your birds. But I don't know everything about your situation, so I could be wrong! Also to answer your question, budgies are physically able to breed at roughly 6 months old, but they should not be allowed to do that until they are at least 10 months old. Good luck with you birds! (they are very cute couples!)

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
@Aussie Bird and @Sunni Tiel, you make good points about breeding being left to professionals, but still I think it can be ok under certain conditions: If you have the right resources, time, money, space, room, housing and all of that, AND if you have homes prepared for the babies/are able to keep them all, AND if you can make sure that all of your birds are happy, healthy and safe, then it should be ok! But, @MileyCyrus , if you can't even get another cage, then I would doubt that you are prepared to breed your birds. But I don't know everything about your situation, so I could be wrong! Also to answer your question, budgies are physically able to breed at roughly 6 months old, but they should not be allowed to do that until they are at least 10 months old. Good luck with you birds! (they are very cute couples!)
Yes, under certain circumstances breeding might be ok but the world really doesn't need more budgies on the market. Because there are other people that know exactly what to do, I would leave it to them. I don't know what else is going on in your situation, but like @Gigibirds said if you can't afford or don't have room for a new cage, I highly doubt you are in a position to breed.