• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent cut budgie's nails too far and now she's bleeding out

dori

Meeting neighbors
i don't know what to do. ilooked it up and it said to put her foot in cornstarch but i don't have that and the vet offices are closed when i tried to call them. help:(

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If you have a Walmart store nearby go to the pet section where dog supplies are and buy a tube of super clot.
This is what it looks like. You might want to call them or a nearby pet store to make sure they have it in stock

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If you have a Walmart store nearby go to the pet section where dog supplies are and buy a tube of super clot.
This is what it looks like. You might want to call them or a nearby pet store to make sure they have it in stock

Not sure why the blue link says robot or human. I tapped it to make sure it would take you to the product I mentioned

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not sure why the blue link says robot or human. I tapped it to make sure it would take you to the product I mentioned
It takes you to the product- it is all good

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
use cornstarchor flour, don't go running around for other stuff
Apply pressure to the toe either before or at the bleed,
keep the bird calm and quiet for awhile once you get it stopped

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I’ve googled other remedies and this might work too… worth a try if you have any teabags

Using tea bags on wounds is a very famous home remedy to treat wounds and stop bleeding. Just place a wet black teabag on the affected area after cooling it in the fridge. Tea has tannins present in it, which are hemostatic and contribute towards blood clotting. Tannins have astringent that constricts the blood vessels in the wound. This antiseptic ingredient kills bacteria and helps in preventing infection

dori

Meeting neighbors
Are you holding your bird? If so and you have a free hand take an ample pinch of flour and press it to the tip of the nail and keep pressure on it.
i did that for a minute and it stopped bleeding. i let her go and she seems fine, just alert. thank you so much<3

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I’ve googled other remedies and this might work too… worth a try if you have any teabags

Using tea bags on wounds is a very famous home remedy to treat wounds and stop bleeding. Just place a wet black teabag on the affected area after cooling it in the fridge. Tea has tannins present in it, which are hemostatic and contribute towards blood clotting. Tannins have astringent that constricts the blood vessels in the wound. This antiseptic ingredient kills bacteria and helps in preventing infection
Just for future reference for others who may need this
very true and when I had a tooth pulled this was recommended by the oral surgeon to stop bleeding. It must be black tea though and placed with pressure to the wound.

dori

Meeting neighbors
Just for future reference for others who may need this
very true and when I had a tooth pulled this was recommended by the oral surgeon to stop bleeding. It must be black tea though and placed with pressure to the wound.
try posting it seperately as well it's an awesome tip !

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
i did that for a minute and it stopped bleeding. i let her go and she seems fine, just alert. thank you so much<3
keep an eye on that toe the rest of the evening. She might pick at it and restart the bleeding. Next time make sure you have a good clotting agent and trim nails early… early in the day or have a vet do it for you. If she has light colors nails you should be able to see where the nerve ‘ quick’ is. I would also suggest investing in a “ safety pumice perch” in a small size … it’s smooth on top and rough on the sides. I have them for my conures and they work well to keep nails from getting long.

dori

Meeting neighbors
keep an eye on that toe the rest of the evening. She might pick at it and restart the bleeding. Next time make sure you have a good clotting agent and trim nails early… early in the day or have a vet do it for you. If she has light colors nails you should be able to see where the nerve ‘ quick’ is. I would also suggest investing in a “ safety pumice perch” in a small size … it’s smooth on top and rough on the sides. I have them for my conures and they work well to keep nails from getting long.
i'm definitely keeping an eye on her, i'm just scared that she thinks i hurt her on purpose. i don't know if i can get good clotting agent in ireland though, but i'll definitely look at the safety pumice perch:)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This person is a member here and vendor of bird supplies. The attached link will show the perch I suggested for you budgie

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
i'm definitely keeping an eye on her, i'm just scared that she thinks i hurt her on purpose. i don't know if i can get good clotting agent in ireland though, but i'll definitely look at the safety pumice perch:)
I had no idea where you were. Walmart would’ve been a long trip!!!:D

Glad you got it stopped. I think you will be forgiven.

Check withyour pet supply stores or you vet. I’m pretty sure they have bird safe clotting agents in Ireland.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
All bird owners please have corn starch on hand with your emergency kit for birds. Hope your bird stays calm and comfortable.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
For reference you can order from amazon for any future imcidents. I am in the UK so you shouldn't have any problem ordering it.

Screenshot_20230106-230549_Chrome.jpg