• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curled toes

Zblurt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jules Simoneau
So my male lovebird Rico has curled toes. 2 of them to be exact (one on each leg). They’re the same toe on each leg, so I was wondering if this was something he was born with, a grave injury or something else. He sometimes seem to be bothered by them, but it never bled.

Here’s 2 images:

9C8BEE80-59D0-4D99-A6E0-12BF7E927B17.jpeg 2F420F1F-410F-44BF-B480-C6AD37D1F60D.jpeg
I also wanted to know something also regarding toes for my female lovebird Coco, which seems to have reddish / pinkish coloration under her toes. I was wondering what it could be and if there was a way of healing it (if it’s an injury).

Here’s two images:
0CF705EF-0068-46CA-9F3C-F4E4BB04CE23.jpeg 35349842-0E0D-4E39-B646-64FDA0A5792E.jpeg

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Those look to be broken , or dislocated , or nutritional rickets, veterinarian exam needed.

The red feet, this can be because perches are putting pressure on the feet. Having perches of different circumstances can prevent. If any sandpaper perches, remove them .
Or can be coloration from a toy?
Or can be infection in the feet. Are they xtra warm to the touch? If infection suspected get to veterinarian to check out.

Zblurt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jules Simoneau
Those look to be broken , or dislocated , or nutritional rickets, veterinarian exam needed.

The red feet, this can be because perches are putting pressure on the feet. Having perches of different circumstances can prevent. If any sandpaper perches, remove them .
Or can be coloration from a toy?
Or can be infection in the feet. Are they xtra warm to the touch? If infection suspected get to veterinarian to check out.
Ty for the information, but there’s sadly no vets that takes care of birds in my region. I also can’t really touch them yet, as I only got them in September. They’re fairly new and Rico already had curled toes. It might be nutritional rickets as you said, since I never really saw him feed on the cuttlebones I put in their cage, only Coco. Coco’s also the only one I saw eating fruits, so this might be the reason. But I don’t really know since I’m not their original owner. We plan on buying more perches such as branches for Coco’s feet, would that work? The original’s owner perches were covered in what seemed like dried glue and some had sandpaper on them. We put them in the trash for that reason, leaving us with not a lot of perches.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
If Rico arrived with his toes like that, then he has already adjusted to them likely. But good to get a medical opinion when you can tho.

Perches , search your natives for parrot safe. Lots of lists out there .
Post in love birds, we have so many great members with them! They will know specifically

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Given the state of both birds feet, I would recommend some platform perches.