• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curl crested aracaris and toucans

RockyP

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rocky
How are these as pets? They don't talk? Can they be trained? Are the fun family pets or more of "decorations"?

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
How are these as pets? They don't talk? Can they be trained? Are the fun family pets or more of "decorations"?
I haven't ever had one but I have heard they aren't for the faint of heart. They need a low iron diet with plenty of low iron fruit like melon and berries and routine baths. I also heard their poops are sticky and they are loud. Also I wouldn't consider any pet a decoration.

RockyP

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Rocky
I haven't ever had one but I have heard they aren't for the faint of heart. They need a low iron diet with plenty of low iron fruit like melon and berries and routine baths. I also heard their poops are sticky and they are loud. Also I wouldn't consider any pet a decoration.
I know. I was being sarcastic. I don't know much about them but I heard about their dietary requirements.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
I’ve been and still am in close contact with two. A toco and a white throated which is slightly smaller.
They can be loud and the toco grunts while the white throated prefer to make a high pitched squeak too.
They bite and pinches you.
No, they can’t talk they ain’t parrots.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
2can.tv on YouTube/Instagram has some various toucan species and gives honest information about them. They are cute but even the tiny ones need quite large cages, as they must be able to fly in them to move around - they can't climb like a hookbill does.

They are very intelligent and need a lot of stimulation, and they can and will eat small creatures - including other birds.