• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curious question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorg S.

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jorg S
I have been wondering if a TAG and a CAG could or would mate.
Not that I would want to try this but I never heard anything about this one way or another and thought that someone would have some insight on this.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I'm thinking it doesn't happen very often, if at all, because I've never seen any half TAG/CAGS. I guess if they did, they would eventually have become a mixed species called something else, but since they are still distinct, they must not mate. I don't know for sure, but just a guess. HOpefully someone knowledgeable will chime in.

Jorg S.

Real Name
Jorg S
Kind of what I thought too, but when I asked my breeder he said that he didn't know and had never tried it or would try it.
That was actually what got me thinking about this.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
YES it can happen:( And some very unscrupulous Breeders will actually charge MORE for a so called Rare Red Tail Timneh or Maroon tail Cag,or what ever "Mutation" the babies turn out to be:(

Jorg S.

Real Name
Jorg S
YES it can happen:( And some very unscrupulous Breeders will actually charge MORE for a so called Rare Red Tail Timneh or Maroon tail Cag,or what ever "Mutation" the babies turn out to be:(
:omg:
But I guess that would figure in well with human greed.
I will have to dig in to find some more info on that.

Lotsa Birds

Real Name
Sandy
I think they call them "Timgo's." I've seen a few pictures, they look like a Congo, but smaller. Hey..... Shadow could be one. He is a small CAG ;)

Sandy

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Correct. Timnehs are a subspecies of Congos and can cross-breed with them with no problem. There are lots and lots of them out there.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Correct. Timnehs are a subspecies of Congos and can cross-breed with them with no problem. There are lots and lots of them out there.
I had no idea they were so common. Any pictures? Or do they just look like timnehs?

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol

OY! I had no idea a Maroon Tail CAG was a mutation! I have so much to learn, and I am so thankful to have come across this thread. Especially since I am thinking of getting a CAG or a SI Eclectus some time down the road -- when I feel I have learned enough to own one. I am getting that such a mutation would not be such a good idea.

Thanks for that question, Jorg.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
The word "mutation" makes it sound like such a bad thing. Do they have health issues? I wonder if anyone here ones one?

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
That is something new I have learnt today also. That is gobsmacking, and cannot say I have ever given it a thought in the past.
Bad enough finding out so much about hybrid Macaws, but thought our Greys had been immune to cross breeding until today. Thank you Bonnie, once again. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.