• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curious Amazon Mom

Allysanne Lord

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Allysanne
Hello everyone, I'm a mom to a 31 year old oranged winged amazon. I've had him for just over a year and he is a comfortable happy boy (he was DNA tested before I got him) I am just curious as how everyone bonds with their older Amazon parrot; as well as what toys they like playing with. I always feel like I'm a bad mom because I get home a ton of toys and things to climb and he doesn't like to play very but I have been reading that is quite normal with Amazon's. Any advice would be very helpful

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret has to have toys in the cage, the same spot, for a LONG time before that bird will play with them.

Occasionally Secret will play with foot toys now.

MC likes all toys if he's feeling good. He's had a few bad health months though.

Start with light wood they can destroy. Balsa, basswood, and a toy with different types of wood and maybe see what woods he likes.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine loves wood. Wood that can be chipped or splintered, so that means a softer wood like pine.
He can't handle (or just won't) hardwoods.
I've also just found out he had great fun with cardboard. There's a toy made from little cardboard boxes strung on a string. He tore those up!
Try smaller non-intimidating toys first. Hang them in places he likes to sit, so he can nibble them if so desired.
Does he like noise? Some stainless measuring spoons on a chain may entice him.
Good luck, you'll find something with time and patience.
Even a tree branch with leaves on it (bird safe of course) might give him some natural things to tear up.
Just stick it between the bars like a new perch.

txdyna65

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
Lucy my YNA loves any and all toys, wood, paper, bells, boings, it doesnt matter with her. She gets excited when she sees a new toy being brought out. We adopted Miss Birdy an Orange Wing who is now 21 and she doesnt play with any toys.
She does however love cardboard boxes and loves to get inside them and tear them up from the inside. So we fasten them to her playstand and she goes to town on them. She has toys in her cage too but she doesnt touch them, we rotate them out time to time and put new ones in but so far no luck. Cardboard boxes are cheap intertainment lol

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hello everyone, I'm a mom to a 31 year old oranged winged amazon. I've had him for just over a year and he is a comfortable happy boy (he was DNA tested before I got him) I am just curious as how everyone bonds with their older Amazon parrot; as well as what toys they like playing with. I always feel like I'm a bad mom because I get home a ton of toys and things to climb and he doesn't like to play very but I have been reading that is quite normal with Amazon's. Any advice would be very helpful
We need pictures.
My DYH Amazon is going on 21 yrs old. He's a good boy, bonding takes time, however he bonded with my wife right away. He loves to play, and wood toys are his favorite. He chews up a toy a day. He also has a thing for large bell toys. Takes bell and turns it up, shaking it with his hand and saying something under his breath.
Another Amazon I had wasn't big on playing, had tons of toys, just would play once in a while. But loved chewing up paper.
So sometimes it's just the birds interests, what they want and what they like.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Think of it less as "bonding" - which suggests something almost mystical, that happens once and is then static - and more of a process of making friends. How do you make friends with a new person? Well, it depends on the person, but generally you do so by showing that you're nice to be around, you're trustworthy, you respect boundaries and that you make their life better in some way. Different birds may want different things from their human companion, and establish different friendships with different people. Go by what your bird tells you, be patient, be kind, don't push him into something he's not comfortable with.

You can try things like target training (teaching him to touch the end of a stick) and other types of clicker training to better help your communication.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Amazons are one species that is very good about not being the needy type. They will find things to do and some are very contact to just hang out.

You can create foraging with that favorite treat. Make them work for it. Put them in challenging places.

Some Amazons like interactive talking toys. They can be great mimickers making crazy sounds almost like an African grey.

Have you tried any foot toys that are easily picked up? Both of my Amazons really enjoy them.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
what someone said above works best from what ive experienced. “put them where they like to sit”. they will go at them even if its to get it out of their favorite spot.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure you leave unplayed toys out for a long time. Buddy had 1 toy hanging in his cage that was paper & it took over a year to play w/ it. Cupcake liners on a skewer. Every so many months I'd have to scrap, rebuild & put back on the same place. Finally I need to rebuild as he's ripped it to pieces.

Also he likes a mix of wood hardness & also groved & notched wood... Sometimes 1 pieve like a ring & others whole foot toys or hangers. Each birdy is different just like us. :cool: