• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

curious about parrot sneeze

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Hi!

I have my GCC for 2 months. I noticed she tends to sneeze ~10 per day and some can be wet. I also noticed clear discharge running from her nose a couple times. I took her to the vet and no bacterial/ fungi/ parasites so she was on antibody for 3 weeks and now she stopped for almost one week. A vet recheck is scheduled next week to make sure she is fine.

However, she is still doing wet sneeze 1-2/day and dry sneeze 5-6/day. I would say frequency decreased and no more running nose. Here are some questions I have about GCC just because I am still new to this species.

1. Are dry sneeze normal if its frequency is less than 10/day?
2. She will have 2 light sneeze every time she stretch one wing, do you notice this behavior in your bird?
3. because no bacteria are found and she is doing wet sneeze still, now I am wondering if possible allergic reaction?

other than that, everything seems normal, she is super active. I also have humidifier and air purifier run in my room. These days the humidity level out side is pretty high and she still sneezes so now I rule out too dry

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (any pronouns, but they/them preferred)
I'd say go to a vet. That can't be normal.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steve
Glad you're going to the vet to eliminate the things that require treatment.
Do you know your GCC's history before 2 months (were they fresh from a breeder, a rehome, etc)?

I have the same thing happening with my Military and he's been checked by the vet including cultures, CT scan, and a scope/biopsy of his air sacs.
Nothing that required treatment could be found.

At this point, I suspect seasonal allergies for my guy so I'm recording his clear discharge & sneezing events and comparing it to the local allergy reports.

Currently pollen is listed as "very high" overall in my area: Oak (very high), Mulberry (high), Birch (moderate), mold (moderate).​

I'm hoping his symptoms abate when those readings do so I can solidify that hypothesis.

Good luck with Kyouka.

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Do you know your GCC's history before 2 months (were they fresh from a breeder, a rehome, etc)?

I have the same thing happening with my Military and he's been checked by the vet including cultures, CT scan, and a scope/biopsy of his air sacs.

At this point, I suspect seasonal allergies for my guy so I'm recording his clear discharge & sneezing events and comparing it to the local allergy reports.

Currently pollen is listed as "very high" overall in my area: Oak (very high), Mulberry (high), Birch (moderate), mold (moderate).​

I'm hoping his symptoms abate when those readings do so I can solidify that hypothesis.

Good luck with Kyouka.
Thank you so much!

She is 4 months old and I got her from a local breeder, a very friendly women and seems taking good care of birds

I will search local allergy reports because her symptoms is getting better despite she is still doing sneezing. My vet suggested to try another medication for allergy which I am not sure if I should do it with such mild symptom. I will have a conversation with my vet next week.

And she just looks so healthy and I hope nothing hidden!

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors

Good luck with Kyouka.
Thank you so much!

She is 4 months old and I got her from a local breeder, a very friendly women and seems taking good care of birds

I will search local allergy reports because her symptoms is getting better despite she is still doing sneezing. My vet suggested to try another medication for allergy which I am not sure if I should do it with such mild symptom. I will have a conversation with my vet next week.

And she just looks so healthy and I hope nothing hidden!

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steve
I'm suspicious that my old vacuum cleaner may be contributing to the issue as well...

Nichole615

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Getting a hygrometer along with the humidifier is a good idea so that you can monitor the level. Too much humidity can create mold, which may worsen the condition. You want to keep it at least 45% but no higher than 60%. Check your humidity levels first and then decide if a humidifier is necessary.

In my area I have to run a dehumidifier in the summer as my indoor humidity will get above 80%! I pull 2-3 gallons of water from the air per day.

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
Getting a hygrometer along with the humidifier is a good idea so that you can monitor the level. Too much humidity can create mold, which may worsen the condition. You want to keep it at least 45% but no higher than 60%. Check your humidity levels first and then decide if a humidifier is necessary.

In my area I have to run a dehumidifier in the summer as my indoor humidity will get above 80%! I pull 2-3 gallons of water from the air per day.
that sounds like a nice idea!
So hard to tell what's going on when it doesn't seems like a disease!

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
I'm suspicious that my old vacuum cleaner may be contributing to the issue as well...
never think about that!

miorinsnak

Meeting neighbors
My quaker will sneeze if he is in a dry room. Adding a humidifier if your area is dry could help! As could an air purifier
I am still trying to figure out whats going on. With or without humidifier, with or without air purifier, she still sneezes (actually so do I, my nose feel so itchy)
Now I am checking allergy report everyday to see if that is a possibility