• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Culture results

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
Hello! I wanted to post the results of my conures culture to discuss the bacteria found. My experience with her vet wasn't the greatest and he didn't explain much to be aside from what medicine will treat the infection. I also asked him if there was anything that I could be doing as far as prevention , but he said not really. I also wondered if that was true

Attachments

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump7:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What do you want to know? Three organisms grew out on the culture.
The bottom part of the results shows which medications the organisms are sensitive to (S) and which ones they are resistant to (R). All of the medications that the vet underlined are ones that each of those organisms is sensitive to. Which one of those did the vet prescribe?
Hope your conure will be better soon.

Last edited:

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
What do you want to know? Three organisms grew out on the culture.
The bottom part of the results shows which medications the organisms are sensitive to (S) and which ones they are resistant to (R). All of the medications that the vet underlined are ones that each of those organisms is sensitive to. Which one of those did the vet prescribe?
Hope your conure will be better soon.
Thank you so much sorry I didn't even realize this got posted twice!! He gave me doxycycline and syringe, .4ml every 12 hours however she has aspirated twice on the medicine and it was terrifying. I'm taking her to another vet this week to see if she can have the antibiotics injected. I was wondering if there was anything to prevent this particular bacteria, or if it was a serious infection.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How are you administering the medication? Which direction are you pointing the tip of the syringe?
If you are having issues with syringing the medication you can check to see if you can add medication to water although you won't be sure that your bird is getting all the medication she needs.
You can also put on a favorite food but you have to be sure that she eats the entire pieces that has the medication on it. I had to put my Amazon's medication on a small piece of pound cake. Didn't want to do that but he was fighting me when I had to syringe him.

Make sure dishes, toys & accessories are clean. Probably a good idea to put her in a carrier or leave her out for a bit while you totally clean and disinfect the cage including toys and accessories.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
How are you administering the medication? Which direction are you pointing the tip of the syringe?
If you are having issues with syringing the medication you can check to see if you can add medication to water although you won't be sure that your bird is getting all the medication she needs.
You can also put on a favorite food but you have to be sure that she eats the entire pieces that has the medication on it. I had to put my Amazon's medication on a small piece of pound cake. Didn't want to do that but he was fighting me when I had to syringe him.

Make sure dishes, toys & accessories are clean. Probably a good idea to put her in a carrier or leave her out for a bit while you totally clean and disinfect the cage including toys and accessories.
Thanks! I'm pointing the syringe to the left of her mouth from the right side of her beak, and giving small amounts. She really really hates this medicine, I've given her baytril before and hand fed her as a baby without any issues. I've tried to mix the medicine into formula,apple juice and on her favorite snacks but she can smell it right away :( it's really discouraging. I'm hoping when I see the vet they can give me the kind to put in water you mentioned, or some other form. This doxycycline mixed with glycerin she really isn't a fan of, she's never fought me so much over it. But maybe if I make her some birdie cake she'll take that. I wash her bowls and water bottle every other day with dish soap but I can definitely disinfect her toys and perches.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did they flavor the medication? Sometimes that helps. Do you draw up the medication first and then draw up a little bit of apple juice? The juice trick can work all the time with some birds but with many they figure it out and realize that with the juice comes the yucky medication and then they won't take it or they will take it and spit it out. I usually go from the left side of the bird's beak and point the syringe towards the right and the back. The esophagus is towards the right side. Hope something works for helping you administer the medication.
Wipe down and clean the cage, too.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
Did they flavor the medication? Sometimes that helps. Do you draw up the medication first and then draw up a little bit of apple juice? The juice trick can work all the time with some birds but with many they figure it out and realize that with the juice comes the yucky medication and then they won't take it or they will take it and spit it out. I usually go from the left side of the bird's beak and point the syringe towards the right and the back. The esophagus is towards the right side. Hope something works for helping you administer the medication.
Wipe down and clean the cage, too.
Yeah it's banana flavored, i mixed the two together but that's a good idea also. I will have to try those methods rhangs so much.