• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cuban resources

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Hi guys, I thought I would come here first for your input about resources. I haven't really considered an Amazon before now, and there's a lovely (female, I think) Cuban at the shelter.

Any books or specific websites you guys trust so I can get a better idea about whether I could handle an Amazon as a second bird would be appreciated.

Monaco's previous mom has been encouraging me to add a bird for a few months, but until now I have just not felt ready to even think about it. Some of you know I've lost a lot this year. I'm definitely used to a certain level of busy-ness and it's feeling very empty around here lately. I'm making progress with Monaco, and getting more experience. Personal opinions are welcome about this too. I trust you guys, and it will definitely be helpful to have your thoughts about whether I might be gaining enough experience to be able to offer a home to another bird, and specifically an Amazon.

Even if she (the Cuban) isn't a good fit, I'm limited to new world species to keep Monaco safe. There are a couple of blue front, and Macaws, and I'm happy to meet them all....I'm just not sure I have enough experience for those guys, so I'm not ready to think seriously about those species unless one tries to choose me when I go visit.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi guys, I thought I would come here first for your input about resources. I haven't really considered an Amazon before now, and there's a lovely (female, I think) Cuban at the shelter.

Any books or specific websites you guys trust so I can get a better idea about whether I could handle an Amazon as a second bird would be appreciated.

Monaco's previous mom has been encouraging me to add a bird for a few months, but until now I have just not felt ready to even think about it. Some of you know I've lost a lot this year. I'm definitely used to a certain level of busy-ness and it's feeling very empty around here lately. I'm making progress with Monaco, and getting more experience. Personal opinions are welcome about this too. I trust you guys, and it will definitely be helpful to have your thoughts about whether I might be gaining enough experience to be able to offer a home to another bird, and specifically an Amazon.

Even if she (the Cuban) isn't a good fit, I'm limited to new world species to keep Monaco safe. There are a couple of blue front, and Macaws, and I'm happy to meet them all....I'm just not sure I have enough experience for those guys, so I'm not ready to think seriously about those species unless one tries to choose me when I go visit.
Cubans are relatively small and not common in the pet trade. I was very interested in the Cuban's a few years back. Males are can have a history of killing mates ( in enclosed aviaries... hens have no means of escape). I think you should at least visit her, a DNA test should be in order, learn more about her history and why she was given up. I would love to see a Cuban on the Avenue!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Thank you. I'm pretty wary, especially after reading about your process for hormones!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you. I'm pretty wary, especially after reading about your process for hormones!
Males can be much more hormonal than females in an aggressive / territorial manner. Henry has been calm the past two nights, I can't explain any difference other than adding a tablespoon of another mix I make for them ( stored in the freezer) to their nightly dinner. Could it be the quinoa/multi-pepper/carrot mix? Who knows... I'm just appreciating a bit more calmness from him though I doubt it will stay long. Lola on the other hand is in her hormonal time and wants me to touch her. I don't mind scratching her head if she's just enjoying a head scratch but when she doesn't fluff those head feathers out and keeps her feathers pressed flat, levels her body in a horizontal position and starts clucking mating invitations I stop touching her... period. I don't want to encourage her to do that. She can be easily distracted with a treat, something small to shred. She's pretty easy going but does get a little frustrated when I refuse to pet her. So, yes, she can have her nasty periods but she is nothing like Henry... she has never gone way out of her way to attack me. And, I kinda love her spicy personality when it pops up! 14 years and I've only had 2 bites... :D from Lola. I just know how to avoid them.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Some of the body language described for an angry Amazon is what Monaco does for something she's excited about. Her angry is so subtle in comparison. (obvious now, but mellow in contrast)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Amazons have great eye warnings though.

Go meet her!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is the rescue in your state? I am only asking as this species can not be legally sold, or adopted for a fee, across state lines.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Yes, it's a couple of hours north near Tulsa.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
We had a Cuban at the rescue I volunteer at. She’s been gone for a little while now, but overall I remember her being a nice bird, very beautiful and mellow.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I had a crazy time with a few sick goats, and they're just now looking better. It's two hours one way, so I didn't go up there. I will schedule a trip for this month, but next Monday is taken with a violin lesson... I didn't do that this week either!

I'm on pins and needles about it too for all the suspense building.