• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cuban Amazon

Featherpup

Moving in
Hey guys, I am looking for a female Cuban Amazon or Cuban Amazon Pair also breeders, hoping to fined a group interested in sharing genetics so we can share these guys with others and keep this breed alive!! I absolutely love them!! They are the best!! I would absolutely recommend them to any one! They are easy to care for and super smart!! Mine rarely tends to get loud as long as he is with the family, even forming a special relationship with our dog feeding him treats from his dish and calling him when lonely! If you haven’t looked into this breed I absolutely recommend taking a look at them! There laugh is contagious and there smaller size is nice for those of us intimidated by large Beaks! This is a fantastic bird for those that are often home alone as there talk ability can break the stale silence of a lonely home and create real opportunities for interaction!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Pictures?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
From what I’ve read, Cuban Amazons are quite rare. I could be wrong, though.

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Link
How are you planning to do your breeding program? I've always been interested in breeding for temperament and health rather than mutations, etc. Here is someone on reddit who is thinking about giving a Cuban Amazon a home, but they dont have much time, so maybe you could ask them. https://www.reddit.com/r/parrots/comments/1byd2uf

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He looks happy. Very sad that they’re charging excess for females; it will ruin the species.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's adorable!

Featherpup

Moving in
How are you planning to do your breeding program? I've always been interested in breeding for temperament and health rather than mutations, etc. Here is someone on reddit who is thinking about giving a Cuban Amazon a home, but they dont have much time, so maybe you could ask them. https://www.reddit.com/r/parrots/comments/1byd2uf
Thank you so so much! I sent them a message and I will post an updated if there is a response. Id definitely love to focus on health and temperament if I had a choice but honestly I’d be most grateful for any comparable pairs.:)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
1. species, not breed.
2. The late James Murphy of White Mountain Bird Farm bred for pet qualities like talking, calmness, etc. He routinely had baby greys speaking clearly before they weaned. When he had an exceptional baby, he would retain it and set it up with an equally impressive partner. Unfortunately, most people are happy to have any male and female.
3. It is not uncommon for breeders to charge more for a gender if that gender is uncommon. For a long time, you saw a surplus of male B&G macaws and scarlet hens. Rather than have singles, some breeders paired them together, which led to hybrids like catalinas.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no experience with Cuban amazons. However, I think I remember having a conversation with Gail Worth or someone else of that experience level many years ago that mate aggression in cuban amazons was a real problem. This is an old memory, so you should check around with a few people that have real experience. Just wanted to mention it so you can take steps to protect your female in terms of aviary and nest box design. They might be great as pets, but if I'm right, this could explain why females are so much more expensive.