• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crop feeding

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Not sure if I should post this here but my budgie who only has been using on foot stopped eating he lost 4 grams in 4 days I brought his to the vet they gave him fluids and a feeding but they wouldn’t show me how to do it, every time I watch a I tube. video they make it look so easy but when I try I can even get past him slipping around in my hand does any one have any tip directons how to do it or hold them so they don’t move hes not a chick he’s 9

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Did the vet tell you to feed him? You can call the vet and ask how to. @BrianB might know since he hand feeds

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
does any one have any tip directons how to do it or hold them so they don’t move
You will need to towel him to do it. Keep him in one hand, brace his head with your finger and thumb so he´s not wriggling.
Not ideal to towel a bird, but for crop feeding and other treatments it can be necessary. It can also reduce the time it takes to do the treatment/feeding, ergo cause less stress.

I´m assuming you mean gavage feeding here? (Directly into the crop) Did they give you the tube? It´s disappointing they didn´t give you a visual demo, that really is the best way to learn something like this. A video is not the same as having a person show you. Perhaps call back and push for a demo?

If they are wanting you to syringe feed (where there is no tube going into the crop), then you can slowly give the food, super slowly so he can swallow it, if he stops licking/swallowing, you stop feeding, waitfor him to clear his beak before doing it again. You can´t force a feed or you will risk aspiration.

I don´t have more specific tips for your bird as I have only fed chicks. Hopefully other members can offer their insights.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've never done tube feeding and the very thought terrifies me. I've used a feeding spoon which I think is great, and a syringe. The spoon is the safest because it's almost impossible to aspirate a bird with one. Feeding with a spoon isn't an option when you have a baby macaw that will eat 120 ML in one feeding and beats you to death with his wings in the process. I use a syringe for everything unless I'm feeding a special needs bird at work.

For the syringe feeding, I keep a small container of hot water nearby. I dip the tip of the syringe in the water and then touch the side of the beak with it. This usually stimulates the bird to open its mouth and start bobbing for the food. It's harder for older birds but it works well for babies. The water should be about 105 degrees. Slightly warmer than the formula, but not truly hot. If you've got a sick bird, then anything is worth trying in order to get them to eat.

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
I’ve tried to syringe feed a Sick bird supplement I got some in not all and some on his face he was really stressed towards the end so I stopped..As far as formula which would be 3 ml at a time it’s not happening, only can be done with crop feeding his vets just did it for him with fluids the past 2 days but both of them won’t show me how to do it because it’s dangerous and to easy for me to mess up so if he needs more feedings I’ll have to bring him back possibly keep him there but I’m hoping this got him eating again he ate an entire millet stick after the vet so hoping hes getting his appetite back,
hoping I won’t be forced to do the thing I really don’t wanna do... bloodwork.. but we’ll see

Joe Henderson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
You will need to towel him to do it. Keep him in one hand, brace his head with your finger and thumb so he´s not wriggling.
Not ideal to towel a bird, but for crop feeding and other treatments it can be necessary. It can also reduce the time it takes to do the treatment/feeding, ergo cause less stress.

I´m assuming you mean gavage feeding here? (Directly into the crop) Did they give you the tube? It´s disappointing they didn´t give you a visual demo, that really is the best way to learn something like this. A video is not the same as having a person show you. Perhaps call back and push for a demo?

If they are wanting you to syringe feed (where there is no tube going into the crop), then you can slowly give the food, super slowly so he can swallow it, if he stops licking/swallowing, you stop feeding, waitfor him to clear his beak before doing it again. You can´t force a feed or you will risk aspiration.

I don´t have more specific tips for your bird as I have only fed chicks. Hopefully other members can offer their insights.
I guess none of them want to be responsible if I mess up :(