• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Critter Keepers-Advice Needed

Susan and Oliver

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Hello. This is my first post in Critter Corner. I've been making bird toys for 15 years-I feel confident that the toys I make are interesting and safe. I've been asked to make some critter toys for an exotic pet expo. Wondering if anyone would share the play habits of your mice/rats/chinchillas/bunnies, etc. Do they like ladders, platforms, what textures do they like?

Thanks for your input.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My Bunnies have loved chewing natural wood, baskets, paper, natural items and anything with hay in it gets Some interest:)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Wood platforms are great for rabbits, chinchillas, hamsters.. tunnels are especially enjoyed.

For actual sugar gliders you’d want to stay away from anything wooden as they eat a nectar diet and have very wet droppings..frequently!

Things that can be washed (plastic) work well for gliders. They love getting in big baskets and fiddling with little foot toys.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My buns and other rodents have indeed always adored tunnels and platforms! Mine tend to like boxes/tunnels with at least two entrances for easy escape most.

Susan and Oliver

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
@TikiMyn @WallyLoopey @faislaq @expressmailtome Thanks for your input! Made a few basic toys with safe materials for this expo-critters/reptiles/amphibians are new to me. I was surprised how many Sugar Glider/small Critter enthusiasts there were in our local area. Oliver, CAG and CEO thinks our main focus will be parrots but I thoroughly enjoyed learning about these different species.