• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crimson or Green Cheek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amsue0222

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
Looking into a new faby...I will of course obsess and re-assess, and again (it is just what I do). Anyhow if you had your choice with money not being the issue- would you

a. go with the bird you have always wanted even if it means you have to ship the bird in (a crimson Bellied Conure)

or

b. go with an easier to obtain bird that you can visit while being weaned (a green cheek conure)

Truth be told I really originally wanted a Sun or a Blue Crown, but am not sure I can handle the noise factor- I have an energetic and loud home as it is! I am going with one of the two pyhurra conures to minimize the addition of noise!
I would like an all around fun and friendly, cuddly bird that even children can tolerate. I have heard lots of good thngs about the Crimson's but have never got to interact with one because of the limited availabilty.

:confused:

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Amanda, I would probably go with the species I really wanted, provided it was a well-known, reputable breeder but if I went and visited the baby gcc's, I know I would come home with one of them. When I went to get Bailey I really wanted a reg gcc but ended up getting the cinn gcc (I prefered the reg gcc coloring, thought cinn's were 'washed out' looking) and I never regretted it.

amsue0222

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
That is good advice. I just have a hard time making decisions- it would be so easy if there were a right and a wrong!

I am so sad about Bailey - I can't imagine the pain you are feeling right now. I am praying for you and Bailey.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Amanda, can I just add that I prefer to interact with the actual bird I am intending to get. The only bird I didnt do that with was Kai and he was a rehome. I had to drive for nearly an hour to get him and when I got there I knew I just could not leave him. He is very hands off and the history the lady gave me was sketchy and kept changing. He is still like this nearly 12mths later but it is OK as he is happy and I am sure he is.

amsue0222

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
That sounds kind of like they wre trying to embellish the truth. At least he is in a happy home that loves him!
:heart:

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
I've wanted a cockatoo but I got my green cheeks because of the noise factor instead. I simply went to get Jak out of a potentially harmful situation and ended up adding on. She was starting to show psychological issues at Petco in their old style bird rooms and went on sale as a Black Friday half off deal and I took her. She needed a companion after spazzing every time we left her eye sight and I got her Koi.

Koi had me tickled from the start. I googled "bird" while out running errands and it pulled a shop up for me locally that I didn't know about. I went in and didn't see any green cheek conures but when I asked, they had a clutch of pineapples that just came in. Koi was one of three and one of her eyes hadn't finished opening and her butt feathers hadn't even broken the skin yet. I was able to visit my little heathen several times a week until she was ready to come home. I was able to sit in on hand feedings and then snuggle my baby.

She was not a pineapple. Her two clutch mates were but she colored in Cinnamon.
That is something else I love about green cheeks is the variety of color mutations: standard, yellow sided, cinnamon, pineapple, HIGH REDS on pineapple, turquoise and then some are bred to have a higher white head.
Possibilities.

I have three now. Idris is a ham. I can't keep up with her half the time but my Koi I have bonded with. She's in charge of the flock and is closely connected to her bird, Jak.

I have nothing to say about the bird that you want. If you want to get that bird you go right ahead but it was touching to me to be able to have that time with my Koi Fish Monkey, and these guys weren't my absolute either.

DeeZy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Thomas
I'd say that if a crimson bellied is what you've always wanted then go for it. Unless you decide that you want to see the baby as its being handfed. I got my cbc at 9 weeks and he was totally attached by the end of day one. I have a green cheek also and they are very similar to eachother, like in the way all pyrrhura conures are I assume. They are a bit bigger than gcc and are louder and sound differently. Not loud like a sun just louder than a gcc. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy, both cbc and gcc are awesome.

amsue0222

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
I'd say that if a crimson bellied is what you've always wanted then go for it. Unless you decide that you want to see the baby as its being handfed. I got my cbc at 9 weeks and he was totally attached by the end of day one. I have a green cheek also and they are very similar to eachother, like in the way all pyrrhura conures are I assume. They are a bit bigger than gcc and are louder and sound differently. Not loud like a sun just louder than a gcc. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy, both cbc and gcc are awesome.
Since you have both a GCC and a CBC- - Of the two which is more laid back and less nippy? I really love the Suns and other of the Aratinga species but couldn't tolerate the noise. Several others have told me that the CBC are very similiar to Suns without the noise- is this your experience or is your CBC more like your GCC than a Sun?
sorry for so many questions but I really love both!
:cool:

FutureDVM

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ken
Honestly, this is the first time I've heard someone say that crimson bellies are louder than green cheeks. In my experience, my CBC is really a pretty quiet bird. Of course, every bird is different, so maybe I just have an unusually quiet one. :)

Amanda, I think you'll be happy with either one you choose. Just go with what feels right to you. If it's really important for you to meet the bird while it is being handfed, then go with the green cheek. If it doesn't matter that much to you, then I would just be sure to ask the breeder lots and lots of questions and have him/her send you pictures on a regular basis and tell you about each baby's personality. I just recently got my baby maxi pionus and I never met her before she was shipped to me. I am perfectly happy with my decision and she is a wonderful bird.

Celia58

Avenue Veteran
This is exactly what Im going through.I really really want a sun but am afraid of the noise factor.
This is a great site that has alot of articles to read.They raise both crimson bellied and greenies.They also have videos and such.
Just type in pamperedpeeps.com

Bailey, so sorry for you and your gcc.I lost my first love(a gcc) 4yrs ago he flew out a door I didnt know was open.I still miss him. I dont know that we ever stop missing them really.

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
This is exactly what Im going through.I really really want a sun but am afraid of the noise factor.
This is a great site that has alot of articles to read.They raise both crimson bellied and greenies.They also have videos and such.
Just type in pamperedpeeps.com
beth is usually pretty good about answering any questions you have. she's the most local advertized breeder to me. Even if you end up getting a crimson, I'd be confident getting it from her.

DeeZy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Thomas
Since you have both a GCC and a CBC- - Of the two which is more laid back and less nippy? I really love the Suns and other of the Aratinga species but couldn't tolerate the noise. Several others have told me that the CBC are very similiar to Suns without the noise- is this your experience or is your CBC more like your GCC than a Sun?
sorry for so many questions but I really love both!
:cool:
It is hard to say which is one more laid back. They both can be very active or calm and relaxed, depending on the situation and time of day etc. I've read that cbc are less nippy but not in my experience, both of my guys nip when they want something. I can't say if cbc are like suns i have no idea. I do think Soul and Yobie are a lot like each other, though maybe that's because Soul is is a baby and learning from Yobie. When i say cbc are louder i mean their vocalizations can be noisy, but that's only when they are both screaming, which happens 2-3 times a day, i'd still consider them both quiet all around.

amsue0222

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks all- I am still pretty torn, though I am leaning towards the CBC. I will update when I make my deposit on either. I just sometimes wish there was a right or wrong decision! LOL I could have this solved if I had one or two of each-

If I rehome hubby that may happen ! LOL :p- I wouldn't do that though!

Nir

Avenue Veteran
I am in the same boat as you. Get a cbc shipped to me (most likely from pamperedpeeps) or get a gcc. I also am torn because i want to let the baby choose me but there are no crimson breeders near nyc where i can drive to. I wouldnt mind driving 3 hours. But nothing close by. I like the bigger size of the crimson bellied and from what i heard they are calmer and less nippier but not sure. But i did hear that they are less cuddlier but i hope someone can talk about this a bit more. Thats the thing i hate the most and hope isnt true since cuddliness is my number 1 priority along with being quiet.

amsue0222

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amanda
I am with you there- I want my cake and eat it too- or my cuddliness along with the quiet- lol. I am kind of leaning towards saving for the Crimson- only because I have been wanting one for a long time and am finally saving for one!

Status
Not open for further replies.