• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crimson bellied conure

daizedoo

Meeting neighbors
Hi!
I am looking to add a crimson belly to our family. I was wondering if there were any recommendations for great sources in the US. I know about Marcy Covault and JC Aviary, wondering if there are any others that people know of. Crimsons appear to be rare in the US, not as available as green cheeks. Thanks for any info!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just got a wonderful baby from Jadiesbirdnest based in Houston TX. She does ship and let me tell you I've been wanting one for 12 years and she's made by dreams come true.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

daizedoo

Meeting neighbors
I forgot about Jadie's Bird Nest.....I have heard great things about her babies! I wonder how long her waitlist is.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't recommend her enough seriously she's the type of breeder that I've always dreamed of having. That I'm not sure about I had been talking to her off and on for a few months when the opportunity came up to get Tobias and I jumped at it! Best decision I've ever made,I couldn't love him more.
And she's stayed in contact with me and I update her all the time about how well he's doing.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
No, not really. I have not kept in touch with cbc breeders as its been almost 7 years since I got Rio.
The lil stinkers Gotcha day is soon upon us. Got him about 2 days before Thanksgiving 2014.

There were never really that many CBC breeders to begin with.
I wanted to get one from Pampered Peeps in AZ as they seemed to really raise them well but I believe the owner got sick.

I've heard good things about Marcy Covault but don't know anything about JC Aviary

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes I'd forgotten about Pampered Peeps,I believe there was an aviary in OK umm.. 5 Oaks Aviary maybe? that bred Crimsons years ago and Something Cheeky in North Carolina I believe but I don't know if either one breds at all anymore.
Oh oh wait I think we have a member that was attempting to get a breeding pair @Matto am I remembering correctly?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Of course ! I'm happy to help out now that I finally at long last have my own CBC I want to help more folks experience that joy. I really hope you'll check Jadies out. I truly can't express how wonderful a job she did raising Tobias. He's a very sweet,loving and well rounded little guy. Literally the moment he flew out of the carrier he landed on my shoulder and gave me kisses.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:joyful: she says she hopes to have her pairs back in the nest in December.
Yay! I'm so glad you contacted her! I wonder if these babies will be related to Tobias.

daizedoo

Meeting neighbors
I don't know! How many pairs does she have?

There was a post from Sep 3 saying a new clutch was hatching, but she said nothing available.

Honestly I've only come across one breeder (Marcy Covault) who was real chatty, other breeders I've found to be short and not very informative.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not sure how many pairs but I'd imagine at least 2 or 3. I remember that post but that was shortly before I got Tobias so I didn't really think about it again since those were the days leading up to me getting him.
I've had good conversations with her through text before I got Tobias she'd normally respond to me within several minutes to sometimes a day in between but I know she's really busy though taking care of so many babies and all the birds in general so I didn't mind at all. I wanted to be respectful of her time and not be messaging her all the time she always sent me pics and videos when I'd ask and several times without me asking which was a lovely and much appreciated surprise.
I'll always recommend her she went above and beyond for me with Tobias taking him out all the time and socializing him for me and keeping him almost a whole other month when she offered me the chance to pick him up in person when she was going to be closer to me for an event vs having to put him on a plane and ship him.
I truly wouldn't recommend her if I didn't believe in her Tobias is living proof that she raises wonderful sweet babies.
I look forward to hearing if you end up getting one of her little ones :heart:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have any birds currently? Just outta curiosity :).

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do not! This would be my first. I already have a flight cage, have been researching about 6 months now - just waiting for the birdie now!
Oh how exciting! There is nothing more fun then finding your first birdie friend and bringing them home. I still remember the day I met my beloved Nala my first bird and how magical it was. Those were some of the best years of my life with her.
Do you already have the cage set up with perches and toys? If so I'd love to see it.

daizedoo

Meeting neighbors
Oh how exciting! There is nothing more fun then finding your first birdie friend and bringing them home. I still remember the day I met my beloved Nala my first bird and how magical it was. Those were some of the best years of my life with her.
Do you already have the cage set up with perches and toys? If so I'd love to see it.
Thank you! I am super excited for this journey. I've always loved birds. The cage is still in the box :laugh: as I will need to do some rearranging of things for it to fit in my living room. Can you recommend your favorite perches and toys?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol I don't blame you for not having it built yet before you know exactly when a future birdie maybe coming home. Oh boy would I love to tell you,lol I love talking perches and toys. I unfortunately don't have a ton of time right now I seriously should have been in bed hours ago... oops. But I promise tomorrow I'll jump on and post tons of links. Here is one though for you to browse, Pine Palooza ~ Colorful Fun Bird Toy - Small / Medium Parrot Toy Conure the store is SeriouslyNutz and its owned by our own Super moderator Sarah and you can't go wrong ordering from her especially for all your custom perch needs! That toy I linked is Tobias's current favorite he climbs it like a ladder and will cling there snapping the chippy pine.

daizedoo

Meeting neighbors
Looks like a crazy toy! I am hoping to find a good table top perch too. Look forward to your other links!

I am hitting the hay myself.

How long did it take before you found Tobias?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like a crazy toy! I am hoping to find a good table top perch too. Look forward to your other links!

I am hitting the hay myself.

How long did it take before you found Tobias?
Its definitely a crazy toy but than again so is he..crazy that is ;) If you wanna be technical... 12 years lol! That's how long I've been wanting to share my life with one but the stars never alined either I had Nala my heart bird who absolutely hated all other birds with a fiery passion so she was my only one for 8 years or when I had Zazu I kept putting it off because even though I wanted to get her a friend I was afraid to take the plunge again after having to deal with Nala and my Sun Conure Simba hating each other and fighting all the time and honestly I was scared of that again. I had been chatting off and on with his breeder for maybe 3 months? she was the only one out of many who ever responded to me at all or more than a single time and then vanished at the time she didn't have any babies and wasn't sure when she would but that was ok because I wasn't in any rush per say I just wanted to finally have a quality breeder and get to know her and forge a relationship for when it would finally be time to get a CBC to love.

I found out about him at the most unexpected time she texted me early in the morning saying that she had just gotten the DNA back on her two babies she'd had tested that she'd intended to pair up for breeders and found that they were both males so she offered him to me knowing how badly I was hoping for a Crimson and it was like it was fate. I'd always from day one wanted a male so I wouldn't have to worry about egg binding ect so even though it was scary cause I wasn't expecting it to happen quite so fast! But I know I'd have to get over my worries of bringing a second bird home and take the plunge so I wouldn't miss out on the amazing opportunity that was being presented to me. I said yes and it was a whirlwind of excitement after that she sent me pics and video right away and I fell in love with him the moment I saw him, he couldn't have been more perfect!
The wait felt like forever but it was only about a month and 2 weeks maybe? From the moment I met him and looked into his eyes I knew he was meant to be my boy,he's been the sweetest little guy loves his toys, snuggles and climbs on me all the time, loves his showers and baths and veggies omg he goes bananas for his veggies he squeals in happiness when I put them in his cage.
And Toys my gosh does he love his toys! His current favorite is the one I already linked you but there are several more toys that he adores from Sarah especially Sammich,Balsa Blast,Puzzling Peices and many more. Plus the unique and wonderful perches that she sells and makes are so fun and fabulous oh man you've gotta try a Flagstone perch! They are all the rage and Tobias loves his ! I have 3 in his cage and I've got more on the way.
Another vendor that he and I adore is Shawna AKA @Mizzely 's store (1) Hugh – Lil Monsters Bird Toys This has been a toy that's been beloved by all 3 of my Conures,you can't go wrong with a Hugh and all the many other wonderful toys that she has especially her Dino tie ons! Balsa-saurus Rex – Lil Monsters Bird Toys ! She even has a Dino foot perch that's hilarious Stomp – Lil Monsters Bird Toys
As for tabletop perches I'd highly recommend You searched for - Kings Cages (Don't know why it wont link more specifically) But I have a full sized tree and 2 Table tops and Tobias loves them as do I.
I'd also look into @JLcribber 's site Unique handcrafted parrot stuff by ParrotParaphernalia on Etsy he makes absolutely amazing custom play stands I dont have one yet but I shall be getting one in the near future for sure! You can message him on here and ask him if what you want is possible you should look up his posts about his creative creations they are truly amazing.

I hope all this was helpful to you,I had a lot of fun writing it all out,lol!