• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crimson Bellied Conure cuddly and playful ?

flowless

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys
i want to ask about CBC
i had green cheek before and he was so cuddly and amazing, everytime he saw me he was leave his cage and come to cuddle and play with me, now i have CBC 4 month old hand rised, i got him 2 days ago from a breeder and he look so apathetic, he is not moving much, not going on my hand, just sit there in the cage.
i know he is in a new place with new people and maybe is the reason, so i want to ask about the specie itself, CBC are cuddly and playful bird ?
how about CBC compared to GCC ? they are cuddly and playful in the same level or CBC are not cuddly at all ?
and i like to hear some tips to bond better with my CBC
btw sorry about my English :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
it depends on the bird. For instance, I know many GCC who are not cuddly.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
It can take days, months, or years to create a good relationship with a bird. The bird could also never warm up to you, sad but it happens a lot. Patience and understanding are huge keys with birds. Two days is not long at all and the bird is still trying to adjust to a new environment. Try just sitting by the bird and talking, singing, or reading to the little one so that s/he can get use to your voice, no touching as you want to build trust first. Try to find a favorite treat and drop that in the bowl while passing the cage. Food bribes do go a long way and you could offer a treat through the cage at first then move forward from there. Watch body language that can tell you a lot about how the bird feels. Here is one link on body language but there are tons on the net.

Ask A Vet Online For Free 24/7 - PetCoach

Clicker training can help also. Look through the forum, there are tons of tips people have on positive training that are very helpful.

The Training Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Two days is nothing to a bird. You've got a long, long road ahead of you. Your conure may end up a cuddly love bug, or he may not. Individuals can vary wildly among a species, and not every conure is going to be a playful, sweet, affectionate fid.
But that doesn't mean he won't be an amazing friend anyway.

Mykidzmom

Strolling the yard
not every conure is going to be a playful, sweet, affectionate fid.
But that doesn't mean he won't be an amazing friend anyway.
How can be a bird be an "amazing friend" when it's not, at the very least, "sweet, affectionate?"

Full disclosure: I'm about to place my nearly four-month-old GCC. From the start, she could take me or leave me, though I assume that likes the fact that I provide her with food and fresh water. She will bite both me and my young daughter, sometimes very hard. That's where my sense of obligation to the bird terminated. She remains fed and watered, but she stays in her cage until a new home is found.

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Birds bite because the can't stay stop or leave me alone it's not the birds fault people don't read their body language.

If I went to brush your hair and you said stop, I'd stop.

If I didn't know English and carried on, id get a slap. Even though you back away, you moved your head, used your arms to cover your head, I ignored your body language so now you tell with physical contact.

Same with a bird, if you're going into her cage that's an invasion of privacy it's her safe place, if your forcing her to step up and do things she doesn't want to do you'll get a bite, if you're trying to pet her or do something she's not comfortable with you'll get a bite.

Birds are flock animals they appreciate company (they're not pets), you don't need to cuddle them to give them love, in fact you don't need to touch them. My GCCs are happy to just sit on me chewing on a toy or talk me while swinging or their cargo net.

How can be a bird be an "amazing friend" when it's not, at the very least, "sweet, affectionate?"

Full disclosure: I'm about to place my nearly four-month-old GCC. From the start, she could take me or leave me, though I assume that likes the fact that I provide her with food and fresh water. She will bite both me and my young daughter, sometimes very hard. That's where my sense of obligation to the bird terminated. She remains fed and watered, but she stays in her cage until a new home is found.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

My African Grey Kamara doesn't like me in any way, shape, or form, and would rip my hands apart given the chance. My WCP Aurélie could take me or leave me, her favourite flockmate is my cockatiel.
But they're still my babies. They're still my friends. They're not disposable garbage I can just get rid of because they don't like me.
Maybe one day they'll be affectionate and cuddly, maybe not. I still have my responsibility to them as a parront. They're still amazing, charming, beautiful, funny, wonderful members of my family, and they will remain in my family for the rest of their lives.