• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crimson Bellied Conure Breeder?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I know this is a long-shot but does anyone know a Crimson Bellied breeder in the US? Willing to pay for shipping.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something Cheeky in North Carolina?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Not sure of the breeder, but "Mrs. Toad's Depot" in Perry, Ga had some CBC's in November/December. I don't think they have any now, but they get their birds from breeders in Georgia and neighboring states -- they had to have come from somewhere :shrug:

They might be able to help.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I believe that Rick Jordan still breeds them.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My original pair came from Backyard Treasures in South Carolina, they were an only avian store. They did have an aviary though I am fairly certain they did not own the breeding pairs of crimsons.. Marshall Liger and his partner ( I don't know the partners name) were in partnership with their crimsons and sold very few to Ruth at Backyard Treasures or sold through her. I am not sure if Ruth has passed on and someone else owns the store. Granted.... this was back in 2006 and almost unheard of to see these birds in a shop.... and they were very expensive. I looked up the Pyhurra breeders association to locate Crimson breeders to have discussions about the species before I finally bought mine. It took me six months to commit to the purchase... they were still there so I thought it was meant to be and bought them. Marshall sold all of his breeders to someone in California. I don't think my memory serves me correctly but I thought it was Aves... I just googled and didn't find a great result other than a site that said they sold to Canada and the US. Phil at Something Cheeky wanted to buy a couple of my crimsons around 2010 or 2011.. my mature babies. He was a bargaining northerner with what I considered an insulting offer telling me he could buy two babies, sight unseen with free shipping but would travel for mine. All I could say was... "Gee Phil, sounds like a better deal... you should go for the cheaper birds." Lineage records on the crimsons have gone out the window or have not been followed through with subsequent buyers. Do you know if any others have been imported other than the first 16 birds from Rick Jordan and Richard Cusik back in 1998? You might visit Outback Aviaries Facebook page and see where that takes you.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I googled the Pyrhurra Breeders Association and this link says the organization no longer has a website. I clicked on the left side of this page ( first link below) on Crimson bellied conures and see the Crimson bellied availability with the date January 2021 - eggs incubating now. This person is very thorough, I believe it's Marcy Covalt ( name spelling may not be correct). There are several links on her home page including the policies and contact.. click on that for the phone number and give her a call. It may lead you to adult Crimsons.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Seems they only imported a few pairs. No way for most of us to trace bloodlines.
Rio was from a pair of breeders the bird lady in TX had sold to another breeder.

Birds can cross states many times in 2 decades so imagine may breeders could have somewhat related pairs.

Not sure of the breeder, but "Mrs. Toad's Depot" in Perry, Ga had some CBC's in November/December. I don't think they have any now, but they get their birds from breeders in Georgia and neighboring states -- they had to have come from somewhere :shrug:

They might be able to help.
Does not say sold as most do but last post was Dec 8 on sale $700 ready to go.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I googled the Pyrhurra Breeders Association and this link says the organization no longer has a website. I clicked on the left side of this page ( first link below) on Crimson bellied conures and see the Crimson bellied availability with the date January 2021 - eggs incubating now. This person is very thorough, I believe it's Marcy Covalt ( name spelling may not be correct). There are several links on her home page including the policies and contact.. click on that for the phone number and give her a call. It may lead you to adult Crimsons.

:cheer:

Would be nice if Marcy Covalt is still breeding. I believe you told me about her a while back.
Thats her number & info...Just looked a month ago & nothing. I'm not looking for a CBC but sometimes I look. good to see they can still be found & her prices are good. Not looking for friend for Rio but sometimes we can dream.

Airlines may have stopped flying birds so would have to pick up the bird in OK

DJ's in FL had a pair or two but have taken a break from breeding.

Last edited:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thanks so much everyone! Some good leads!
I hope so Matt. I'll keep poking. One person I spoke to before buying my pair who had crimsons was in Texas but I'm having a hard time remembering his name. I'm sure I tossed my notes but I'll look in my old bird file where I keep my records. I do clearly remember though he paid 2600.00 for his first pair. :wideyed:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I was set to buy an "unrelated" (not sure how many generations back he had records for) pair from a breeder in WV but he randomly pulled down his ads and stopped replying to my emails.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I was set to buy an "unrelated" (not sure how many generations back he had records for) pair from a breeder in WV but he randomly pulled down his ads and stopped replying to my emails.
Weird. It would be nice to know how many crimsons there are in the US from those original pairs. How many do you have now?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Just one! He's 4 years old, I got him from a local bird store that got theirs from a breeder in PA, but from what I understand that breeder sold their pairs to someone in FL.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Not who I was thinking of... does list crimsons... 0 available babies but may be a good contact.. small aviary, limited species and works in the veterinary field. Would be worth contacting her to see if she would have any leads.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Just one! He's 4 years old, I got him from a local bird store that got theirs from a breeder in PA, but from what I understand that breeder sold their pairs to someone in FL.
My pair were one year old when I bought them... three years later I had my first clutch. Neither of my two females ( that hatched here in 09 ) have laid any eggs.. but then, I gave up breeding in 09.... nobody is doing the humpty dumpty here though Casey would love to sneak in a few bumps when he has some out time with Scarlette in the evenings. I can only let them visit while I'm in the room.. I have to break up some serious squabbles between those two so I can't leave them alone together.... they do enjoy preening each other for a bit.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Ok... I just had a memory of the name of the aviary for the one guy I spoke to in Texas so long ago. I wasn't remembering his name correctly and while I was gathering water cups the name "Hatching Post" came to mind so I googled it and found this page. Yes... it's a bit of a weird link but it has the information on this page about the Hatching Post Aviary and the owner of it Timothy Robertson... his phone number is listed on this page. Give it a try!

And this page...

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Small but high quality breeder as of right now.

There are some in Texas but I jumped off that board before I was too tempted. :starscfe:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Rio was bred in TX. I tried to contact Bird Lady this Christmas but she did not get back.
Don't know where she got her Crimsons from. She sold her pair though before 2014 to someone else in TX who bred Rio. Rio is estimated to be 7 or 8 years old.

Before that I was tying to get a CBC from DJ in FL & then from a private breeder in CA who also sold her pair. They were more abundant 5 years ago but seem to have declined & don't think its Covid but maybe breeders are just not breeding this year. Still its up to the birds & some might have chicks.

If you are looking for a pair yeah there was another breeder I was in contact with who even was selling some adults on east coast about 6 years ago. Sort of private but my mind is blank now. Could have been PA.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Did a facebook search bu then I never did FB. Maybe some will sell a pair?
Can't hurt to message them get on a list of get info.

Eggs Dec may all be reserved.