• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Creating a safe environment- It's just to dangerous for me to let him out

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Dr. Hernandez got back to us :) She found a moment to step out from surgery.

I'll just give you a basic rundown. She said that what it could be is a GI upset from stress (due to the vet visits and injuries and such). She said that it's good that it's back to normal, but if it happens bring him in and they'll do a gram stain and see about getting him some medication.

So all is well for now. :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Update time!

So Chirp's droppings are a normal brown/green color, but they're still looking like some are a little bit watery. at least they're better than they were!

I also got a couple of toys from Super Bird Creations- I was the winner of their December raffle. I'll take some pictures later. Chirp really likes them so far!

I'm thinking about making up a seed mix, since it's so hard to find one that doesn't have a bajillion additives and preservatives and whatnot. I'm probably gonna get a bunch of stuff from Bob's Red Mill. This might be a weird question to ask, but what seeds would be safe? I know millet is safe, obviously, but what else? Is quinoa safe? How about golden flaxseed? I'd really like to know. My plan is to make a mix I could feed dry, or mixed into his pellet mash, as well as a mix I could easily sprout.

Ideas?

Edit: Here's what I've come up with so far for a possible seed mix-
  • Millet
  • Oat Groats
  • Tricolor Quinoa
  • Golden Flaxseed (although I'd assume you want to take it easy on this one, seeing as the effect it has on humans)
  • Sesame Seed
  • Kamut
Thoughts on it? Any holes or flaws in my plan?

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Edit: Here's what I've come up with so far for a possible seed mix-
  • Millet
  • Oat Groats
  • Tricolor Quinoa
  • Golden Flaxseed (although I'd assume you want to take it easy on this one, seeing as the effect it has on humans)
  • Sesame Seed
  • Kamut
Thoughts on it? Any holes or flaws in my plan?
Any idea? Suggestions? Feedback? I'd really like to know so I can get Chirp off of the Zupreem "Smart Selects".

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I caught Chirp playing with the set of foraging drawers I got from TBBT a while back! Right now in the top drawer, I have a crumbled Avi-cake and a Nutri-berry, and in the bottom I have a berry of millet and a Nutri-berry.

What he does is he gets on top, pushes the top drawer open using his beak and the tiny gap that results from tying the drawers to the cage. He eats what is in the top drawer (sometimes he ends up shoving his whole body in there like a silly baby), and then he climbs onto the side of the drawers, pushes the top drawer forward, and eats what's in the bottom drawer.

Describing doesn't really do it justice, it's way cuter in person! I'll have to try getting it on video one day.

Also, just caught him rubbing his head all over his rope perch, which is very cute. Chirp has just been a big cutie today!

Right now the tracking page is estimating the stuff I ordered from Tweety Pie's will come tomorrow, I'm very excited. I'll be sure to take pictures!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That foraging toy sounds great! I will have to look into that for my tiels. Chirp is so cute, I would love to see a video!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
That foraging toy sounds great! I will have to look into that for my tiels. Chirp is so cute, I would love to see a video!
It's really nice, I think it's only like 4 bucks too! Here's the link: Toy Drawers - Bird Toy Parts Make Your Own Bird Toys Colorful Plastic Drawers Bird Toy Part Caique Conure Amazon African Gray

I'll try to catch him being cute on video, it's really hard because he's still in that toy-shy stage, where if you catch him playing with a toy, he'll stop until you aren't looking anymore. I'll have to keep my camcorder handy!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm saving that link, such a cute toy! Thanks!

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Yay!!! I'm glad they arrived quickly.
Look at that cutie :heart:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Today's update!

Chirp's droppings still seem to be a little bit out of sorts, so tomorrow I think we're going to call the vet. His cut on his chest seems to be all gone though! There's still a good bit of bruising, but progress is progress!

Also, today I lowered the false bottom! Now it's sitting on the grate! I still have the 2 blankets and the towel under the newspaper, but now he can use the whole cage! I moved a bunch of stuff around as well. He's doing pretty good! :)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Update :)

Chirp has been very playful! He decided that the basswood platform isn't scary, and he's started going over to it on his own :) He's also been playing with his foraging drawers a lot today, and he was just down on the bottom of the cage looking for any bits of millet that *may or may not* have fallen off the platforms from Tweety Pie's. He's shredded a good amount of yucca today, and I got him to eat some of the seed mix I made him, mixed into his pellet mash.

I'm gonna be moving his food and treats over to nice pretty mason jars, that way I can easily see what I have, how much I have, and if I need to buy anything. I've already got his new seed mix in a mason jar, so I think tomorrow we might pick up a case of them! I'm also thinking about taking a run out to Chicago Bird House, if I feel ok tomorrow. They have a lot of treats and things, and you can never have too many treats. :) For us, it means foraging opportunities!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Chirp is a very lucky bird!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Update:
Chirp has been doing good. He's been eating his pellet mash with seed mix in it, so that's good. He's been running around and shredding things and all that typical budgie stuff. I also moved all of his food and treats over to nice mason jars.

Right now Chirp is rubbing his head and neck all over his pedi-perch and the cage bars. It's very cute.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
We went and got some more quinoa, to put in the next batch of sprouts. I forgot to mention that I've started sprouting! Right now, the current batch just consists of millet and sesame seeds. The next batch will have tricolor quinoa as well.

But yeah, we went to Trader Joe's and got some tricolor quinoa. Everyone there was so rude, people bumping into everyone and pushing past people and not taking a moment to say sorry. It seems everyone left their manners at home today!

We also went to Chicago Bird House! I like going there to look for toys and stuff, but I also like saying hi to all the boarding birds there. Amongst the many birds, there was an African grey who kept making cute little curious noises whenever I said hello, and there was a hyacinth macaw there who was the biggest attention hound in the world. There was also a cockatoo who seems really old and chill, just enjoying life, and there was a cockatiel named Rosie who was 13 months old and was surprised when I made noise! They were all so cute, my heart melts every time I go there. I just love them all so much!

Edit: Also just remembered that they have a kookaburra as well, his name is Douglas! One of the employees was giving him scritches while we were there!

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You are an awesome parront! Chirp is so lucky to have you. I'm glad he's doing better.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You are taking such good care of little Chirp!!! I wish all parakeet owners were like you. His cage and platforms are great! I enjoyed reading your updates on him. I'm glad he's doing better.