• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cream on hands

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
How long should I wait after applying cream to hands to play with bird.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Until it absorbs. 10 mins ish?

Mantis64

Until it absorbs. 10 mins ish?
Okay good to know I put it on 2 hours before I went to my bird but did wash my hands thoroughly before. My hands dry quite quickly but putting cream on helps massively.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you are using something like Double base that is more a gel like product that leaves your skin a bit greasy, then I would pat your skin with kitch roll to remove the excess after leaving it to absorb for a half hour.
As Mizzely said, a regular run-of-the-mill hand cream should absorb.
My skin is very bad at the moment and I am avoiding allowing the birds with me after using medication creams (hydrocortisone).
I have been using my ziaja tucuma butter hand cream all day today, and I have had my birds out while my hands have been dry to the touch, and put more cream on when they have gone back to cages for naps etc.
IMG_20200706_004242.jpg (yes I cut all my nails off in the hopes it helps my eczema)

clarousel

I have eczema too but really dislike the feel of hand creams. I use my hands a lot for violin too so I can't have greasy hands/fingers.

I found water based moisterisers to absorb fairly quick and don't feel as sticky!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have eczema too but really dislike the feel of hand creams. I use my hands a lot for violin too so I can't have greasy hands/fingers.

I found water based moisterisers to absorb fairly quick and don't feel as sticky!
I do not have eczema, but I do play violin. I have found Aveda lotions absorb well into my skin and I don't have problems with touching my violin. Though I don't know how they do with eczema.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Mantis64 I think Nivea uses a lot of petroleum bases in their products. It makes them safe because most human won't have an allergic reaction...however it also works by creating a barrier over your skin to trap moisture. The large molecules are difficult for your body to absorb.

If you want a product that absorbs better you will have success looking for plant bases. Animal bases also absorb better, like lanolin, but I am not an advocate of animal based products because of ethical concerns.

Keep in mind that plant based products do have a higher risk for allergic responses or contact dermatitis. So find one that works for you. If you have allergies try a sampler and use a small amount just incase it doesnt agree with you :)

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena

This is the one I use it helps massively although I dont have eczema my hands just dry very quickly.
I also like Nivea only the one from the UK though because the formula is different in US.

Since Nivea cream has a strong scent I would wait until the scent airs out/is gone and the absorbs into your skin to handle your bird

Mantis64

@Mantis64 I think Nivea uses a lot of petroleum bases in their products. It makes them safe because most human won't have an allergic reaction...however it also works by creating a barrier over your skin to trap moisture. The large molecules are difficult for your body to absorb.

If you want a product that absorbs better you will have success looking for plant bases. Animal bases also absorb better, like lanolin, but I am not an advocate of animal based products because of ethical concerns.

Keep in mind that plant based products do have a higher risk for allergic responses or contact dermatitis. So find one that works for you. If you have allergies try a sampler and use a small amount just incase it doesnt agree with you :)
Yeah I mainly put it on at night before sleeping and if I do put it one I thoroughly wash my hands to ensure any access has washed away. Would vasaline be any better.

Lunar

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Serena
Yeah I mainly put it on at night before sleeping and if I do put it one I thoroughly wash my hands to ensure any access has washed away. Would vasaline be any better.
No not Vaseline or any petroleum jelly that stuff is very sticky and dosen't absorb well.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Mantis64

Thanks guys will be on the look out for these tomorrow pretty sure I've seen them before.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aveeno moisturisng lotion also contains petrolatum.

I have some deeply hippy stuff I got in a sale but it works well for me. Annoyingly it's sold out at the moment: Marula Hand Lotion 250ml

Mantis64

Aveeno moisturisng lotion also contains petrolatum.

I have some deeply hippy stuff I got in a sale but it works well for me. Annoyingly it's sold out at the moment: Marula Hand Lotion 250ml
I think I will just sticking to put it on at night then, my hands get bad but not that bad. And if I was to put it on during the day I'll just wash my hands thoroughly before doing anything with my bird. Thanks everyone