• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crazy situation led me to buy an unweaned CAG

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I scanned most of the posts but didn't read all the replies so if I repeat something then I apologize.

I did notice you got a lot of advice on weaning so I'll skip that.

I don't have any experience with African grays so I don't know specific ages or weights but the good news is that specifics vary from bird to bird so it doesn't matter very much. It is all relative.

You need a scale that weighs in grams if at all possible. Most of the time it is recommended that your bird get about 10% of his weight in food per feeding so that can give you an idea of what he might need. Then you figure out how long it takes for his crop to be almost empty and that is when you need to feed him again. Probably about 4 times a day (maybe three).

Also you need to weigh him. If you weigh him before and after you feed him you can do the math and know how much he ate. This isn't critical to know but it can be helpful if you track it, it makes it easy to spot changes.

Weigh him at least once a day, I weigh mine first thing in the morning before the first feeding. He should be gaining weight each day until right before weaning. Since he has all his feathers he may be close to his top weight and my lose a little weight trying to prepare for flight. Has he flown yet. If not make his space safe for learning to fly because that will come soon. When my babies are learning to fly they are usually being fed formula three times a day and given solid foods to play with and try to eat in their cage. They will learn to eat the solid foods on their own.

While using a spoon or a syringe is better for the bird he will need to get used to the change and if he does not eat and loses weight you will have to use the tube feeding method just to keep him healthy. If he does not swallow the formula then don't add more to his mouth until it is out. Overwhelming him with formula can cause aspiration which can lead to death so you do have to be careful. Keep trying the spoon or the syringe but make sue he is eating even if he needs to be tube fed. Babies need to learn to eat and if you change the method it can take time for them to catch on so keep trying but never underfeed during a transition.

These are just a few thoughts. I hope they help.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I called an expert in the UK and asked her whether it is ok to back off from tube and do the spoon/syringe. She got an interesting idea. She said I shouldn't do this as Kido might love the new feeding process and begin to get used to it, therefore the weaning gets interrupted/delayed.

What's your idea everyone?
I doubt that is the case. Based on the amount of feathers he has, I'm going to guess he is in the weight loss stage of development. Many baby birds will become frustrating to feed during this time. They just don't want a lot. He's trying to loose baby fat for his first flight. If it were me, I'd at least try to feed him from the syringe instead of the tube and just feed him as much as he wants. If he only wants 5cc, then that's what you give him. If he wants 20cc, then that's what you give him. If it seems after a few days like you are wasting your time trying to feed him, then cut him back to feeding 3 times a day. His appetite will probably come and go. He might have a few days where he acts like formula is absolutely so disgusting he wants to gag on it. And then he'll have a day where he is absolutely starving and you give him 50cc and he acts like he still wants more. This is fairly normal. If you get a weight on him, don't have a panic attack if he is losing. The problem is, a normally developing baby during this time can seem very similar to a slightly sick baby. If you have vet care available, when in doubt, have him checked by a vet. Keep seed, pellets and veggies in front of him at all times, expect him to pick at it a little bit, but don't expect him to eat enough to live off of for at least another 1-3 months. It doesn't take much seed to turn poop green even when 90%+ of what they are actually ingesting is formula.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't add any additional advice but thanks for taking the Grey into your home.
Did you get a scale? Want to reiterate what has already been posted, that it is important to weigh daily and keep records of the weight as well as how much food he is eating.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
No experience with greys, but welcome to AA. My only suggestion is get a note book to keep track of weight; every time you weight him, amount you are feeding; each feeding, what he has nibble on, any regrug . The other thing is sanitize sanitize sanitize all feeding equipment. He is cutie pie .

Last edited:

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Update: Today morning Kido just ate 15cc and then refused to eat more from the syringe. I feel he cannot concentrate on food because he wants to play when I am around him.

@Laurie, I will buy an digital scale today so I can make sure what is happening and update you all. I will try to tube feed him if he refused to take more food.

@melissasparrots, so it seems you are against tube feeding him but I've lost a bird in my arms years ago and every time I think of that moment, I want to do everything in the world to keep him safe and healthy. What if he can't say whether he is in need of food or not? P.S. his poop is always healthy green (for about one week now)

@iamwhoiam, @rocky'smom, in this situation I don't know what his weigh can say to me. Some in this forum say he is in the phase of getting heavier some say he is getting lighter.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@melissasparrots, so it seems you are against tube feeding him
I don´t think she is against tube feeding when necessary.
If the bird loses a significant amount of weight and refuses all food, you will need to tube feed. Hense the importance of daily weighing.

Is the food warm enough? If the food goes slightly too cold my bird turns into goldilocks and refuses it.

I feel he cannot concentrate on food because he wants to play when I am around him.
Sit and eat a bowl of chopped fruits or veggies with him, he may see you dong it and want to copy.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Weighing him will help you to know how much to feed him and will also help to watch whether he is processing his food.
This thread was helping @Joey wade with his baby macaw. But it worth the read because it alot about feeding.
Greenwing Advice | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
@Macawnutz sarah do you have any experience with greys? Or can think if anyone here that hand fed greys?

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
GUYS I'M PANICKING!

7 days ago, he was 514 grams, today I bought an digital scale and he is 430! What should I do?!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
What should I do?!
First, don´t panic.

Average adult weight for african greys are:
Congo African Greys 380 to 554 grams
Timneh African Greys 300 to 360 grams

Remember, chicks grow and gain weight and they surpass the weight of an adult of their species, then the weight is lost as they wean.

Keep offering the syringe. If he is hungry he will eat.
Is he eating anything in his cage?

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Remember, chicks grow and gain weight and they surpass the weight of an adult of their species, then the weight is lost as they wean.

Keep offering the syringe. If he is hungry he will eat.
Is he eating anything in his cage?
I was frightened and I tube fed him 35 cc formula.
He was eating pea,carrot,corn mix few days ago. But these two days Kido didn't take those. And just played with the nuts. He's happier than ever and that is the only thing that makes me happy but I am still worried as hell.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Ok slow down,
question 1: when you are offering fresh veggies/ fruit are they cold?
Question 2: have tried something like mashed sweet potatoes, mashed carrots, mashed peas, applesauce, crushed pineapple?
Remember their syringe feedings are fairly mushy and that is what they are use too. So try mashing it up and offering it warm.
If you see no difference after a day of offering it like above, then see avian vet asap.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
@iamwhoiam, @rocky'smom, in this situation I don't know what his weigh can say to me. Some in this forum say he is in the phase of getting heavier some say he is getting lighter.
If you track his weight daily the information can be valuable over the course of a few days. Track his food intake as well. After you have some information and couple that with his behavior you will have a better idea what stage of development he is at.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
I put the fruit/veggies in the hot water, then I empty the water and then put them on the container.

should carrot be water-boiled?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Boil with water until fork tender then drain well and mash. This is just tiny tip: try adding a few drops of 100% pineapple juice to the mashed, for a few days.
I found these on YouTube about hand feeding greys, they might help you.
hand feeding african grey - YouTube

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Who weighed him 7 days ago and when was he weighed? It's a good idea to weigh at @ the same time every day. What do his droppings look like and how frequent? Birds do lose weight when they are going to fledge but I can't tell you how much weight. If you feel that he is continuing to lose weight and he is not eating enough food than a vet visit may be necessary. BTW, even if his weight is good still a good idea to take him to the vet for a new bird check up.
I would recommend trying to syringe feed rather than tube feed.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Today his empty stomach weight was 20 grams more. And I guess it might be because of tube feeding. I am home all day long today and will syringe feed him.

@iamwhoiam, I think it must have been after feeding Kido, so I shouln't panic that much right? On full stomach, he is around 25 grams lighter which is ok I guess.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Kido can't handle the syringe feeding I guess. He becomes tired too fast and wants to play really fast.
Note:I gave him mashed apple with hand and he loved it. He drops 70 percent of each piece though.