• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crazy situation led me to buy an unweaned CAG

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Update

- He didn't take the syringe very well so I stopped syringe feeding him, and kept doing tube feeding.
- He plays all the time in the cage going up and up and I always fear if he falls down. Any idea how can I prevent any injuries in the cage?
- He can't stay in the cage and the minute I open the cage, he forgets everything even if he's hungry and all he wants to do is to somehow come out of the cage.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Any idea how can I prevent any injuries in the cage?
can you make it so that all the perches, food bowls, and toys are close to the bottom? I would also remove the piece that covers the bottom and line the bottom with newspaper or something to make the fall softer.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
can you make it so that all the perches, food bowls, and toys are close to the bottom? I would also remove the piece that covers the bottom and line the bottom with newspaper or something to make the fall softer.
Everything is on the floor. Still, he wants to go higher as much as he can. He recently liked that he can reach top of the cage and swing himself with only holding with his beak. Since that moment, he always wants to repeat that move but he always falls.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
that makes me think he's trying to fly. I would just let him. Maybe, you could put a rug or some fleece so if he falls (outside the cage) he won't hurt himself. He's probably gonna stop climbing higher if he learns to fly (you won't be able to stop him). I don't have any experience with fledgelings whatsoever, maybe someone with experience can give you better/more detailed advice.:goodluck:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That happens with birds.

When he´s older and it starts getting all jagedy, you can take him to the vet to get it filed and buffed.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Kido is around 3 month old, shouldn't I be worried? anything to do about it now?

He always jumps around and falls and hits himself to things while playing. I don't know what to do. He's so hyperactive.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He always jumps around and falls and hits himself to things while playing. I don't know what to do.
Young birds can be quite clumsy before fledging. You can lay some soft sheets down to soften any falls. Make sure perches are low down etc.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
I have a new set of questions:
  • When should I introduce Kido to water? I still give him 40ccs in the morning and 40ccs at nights with the crop tube (Yea, still crop tube)
  • If I continue to feed him with crop tube, is there any chance that he does not want to get weaned because he doesn't get hungry that much?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Introduce water when you start offering foods other than formula.

I´m sorry, I do not know how to wean crop-tube fed chicks.

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Today, I went to open up Kido's cage and he was scratching his wings. Then I noticed one of his primary feathers (darkest ones) has fallen. Is it common for a 3/4 months bird to loose one his primaries?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
I am posting in the first thread that I created in AA a year ago. It's been around a year that I have Kido in my life. She's now 14 months old, and I am so happy to have her. She's always singing and chattering and playing, and she still wants to be around me and eat when I am eating. Except for the poop, the dust, and the noises which have their weird cuteness, everything else about her is a blessing.
To noob mom and dads:
Those days I was anxious, whether I can handle the situation or not. Whether she lives or not. Tube-feeding, weaning, letting her explore, letting her bite, all of those days are over. Yes, there might be new issues now and then, but all humans have it too, don't they?
I want to say, try your best, and be optimistic. If you stay positive, your new family member would be one of the best things that happened in your life.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wow, the year has flown by! Nice to hear Kido is doing well :)