• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crazy question

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Getting ready to go on a kayak trip and since I now constantly have parrots on the brain, I always think about my typical past life, but what that might look like in the future + parrots. Has anyone ever taken their fid kayaking (flat lake type, not white water)? Seems like the potential for a lot of trouble, but at the same time, I see a lot of people involving their fids in all sorts of everyday life and new experiences and adventures. What do you think? Too much trouble, danger, etc. even for a really calm content bird, or excellent opportunity to share some new experiences? Reply back where you personally draw the line with outdoor activities. Everything from just looking out the window to a full Everest summit :) (Exaggeration of course)

Hiking, Camping, Kayaking, etc.

How cool would it be to go hang-gliding with your free flight fid!

Thanks!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't take a bird kayaking. I think it would be too dangerous. But hiking would be fine with a harness or they have birdie back packs. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think anything that involves water would probably not be a good idea. I think other outdoor activities that are not too extreme would be okay if the bird was used to being outside and harness trained.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We go kayaking a lot in the summer and have for many years. I will never consider taking them kayaking. A wrong move at the wrong time could be life or death for them (and me, dependent on circumstances). Plus I don't know where you kayak but I see lots of birds of prey on the rivers here - red tailed hawks, bald eagles, crows....

I do want to take them camping, but my husband doesn't want to deal with it. Hiking etc would be fine I think.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
they have birdie back packs
OMG, please tell me they are like little kid backpack harnesses where the feet and head poke out hahahaha...

Darn... Just looked on google. Yawn

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
This is the reply I basically expected, but was still curious.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I just ordered a pak-o-bird for Layla so I can take her out to the lake with us. the kids and dad can go on the boat and Layla can hang in her pak-o-bird or in her harness with me on the shore. I suppose it depends on the bird, kayaking may be a tough sell for a bird...I think my girl would be fine with it on calm water but I'm not brave enough to ever try. Lol