• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crazy conure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashSmAshley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
Okay Nitro...I get it. Squawk scream bite chomp...you want some beaky action.

So, it's getting pretty bad now. Biting mostly. She's not too cage aggressive...but her biting is getting really bad. I've talked to some old coworkers at the zoo and they suggested maybe putting in a breeding box to let her lay and keeping them there until she starts to ignore the eggs. They said after laying, most of the hormones should calm down.

What do you guys think? Or should I just leave her be and pray that the terrorism ends soon?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Well Im not sure about the egg laying so I can’t comment on that. But parrots go threw a biting phase. Almost all of them do. How I stopped mine from biting was gently blow on them. This distracts them and side tracks them and they don’t really like it.

Just give it a shot, it may work.

Vega

Real Name
Joni
I wouldn't encourage egg laying, there's other issues that can arise from that. (calcium deficiency, egg binding, breaking the eggs and then you have bacteria issues) I *would* encourage shredding and flight/wing exercises to use up that extra hormonal energy. When my ekkie gets hormonal I'll throw cereal boxes or sheets of newspaper in her cage. She usually drags it to a corner in her cage and goes to town shredding.

In the evening I'll make her fly from one room to the next 5 or 6 times. If your conure isn't flighted try having her do short distances from your arm to a cage/couch/floor. Or hold her on your hand (thumb covering her feet so she can't fly off) and do wing exercises by dropping your hand having her flap.

I've found the biting to be related to frustration. Using up the excess energy will help settle things down...but time will be the key.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Yeah, do not encourage egg laying it could lead to health problems. Just because she bites does not make her crazy. It just makes her a normal conure. I would perch train her. With conures I've found that you need to make them do what you want to do or they think that they can just walk all over you, if she is biting and not stepping up, get a perch and offer her the perch or your hand, hopefully she will choose, if not, get a towel and do the same thing. There is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself. Does she have a lot of foraging toys? I wonder if keeping her busy when you are away would help with her aggression.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
conures bite but usually not too hard unless you get in their space when they want to be left alone and they are moody. when mine bites I grab his beak just enough to not let him get away and say "don't bite, be nice" He now tells me "no bite". Conures use light nipping to see if you are sturdy before stepping up. I think all parrots do it but if they are leaving marks someone said do the time out or reward for not biting every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.