• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Crashed. Unsure of injury level

PicklesParrot

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
I feel like such a horrible person right now. I just want to cry. Pickles was in the bathroom on the sink and he wouldnt step up to me to come into the other room. I left him in there for a minute. He flies all around the house and follows me all the time. He came flying out around the corner, hit the corner and crash landed. He was holding his wing up and seemed like he was having trouble putting it down. Kind of shaky. I picked him up and started to inspect. No blood. He put his wing down. We went to the bathroom with better light to inspect. He seems to be favoring it. He hasnt made and ditn make any noises or yelps or anything when it happend or when I was inspecting him. He kind of holds it up when I touch it and it looks a little off. I was reading that a broken wing cant be moved and hurts enough for them to make a sound, and a dislocated wing can be relocated by themselves if you just give them time to work it out. He didnt seem to be in any obvious pain but he seems to be holding it differently or the feathers are kind og hanging different than the other wing. I took some video of how he is acting, please please please help. He seems to be fine. He is in his cage singin, talking, chirping now. He was moving around in it a few minutes ago and was holding his wing up while he got around. Pause... let me go check again, its been a few minutes of him happily talking a storm.....Ok just went to check, opened the door, he came to me, wasnt favoring the wing. And now the feathers look back straight like the other wing (you can see this in video) He lifted both wings up for me, the hurt one was lifted just like to other one and didnt seem like he was having trouble putting it back down anymore. Please, please, what do you think? I feel like this is all myfault. I cant get to a vet tonight but I have a good one that I can basically walk into during day if needed. Should I wait out the next day and see how he is? Or should I rush in? Im reading mixed stories...... I need some advice please. Thank you so much.... I just heard him moving around and went to peek... he is not favoring his wing anymore... Im so confused....

I have been flight recall training the past 2 weeks... Should I maybe see if he can do a 1-2 foot flight to see if he is really ok?

I just dont know and I feel so awfull...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he looks like he might be ok though you know....keep an eye on him for sure and bring him to the vet as soon as you can :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree, he looks ok, but only you know him. :hug8:.If your still not sure then have him checked.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Take a deep breath and relax :hug8:He might have bruised the wing a wee bit,But if He is acting normal now-chances are He is OK! I would not try to make him fly tonight.Let him rest and recover.Keep an eye on him-if he shows any signs of distress/pain,get him to an Avian Vet.Personally-I think He is OK :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8: Josie crashed into a glass door a few months back and the way she acted immediately afterward scared the bejeesus out of me. She was okay in about half an hour though. Keep an eye on him for the next few hours, go to the vet if anything changes, but I wouldn't worry about it.

PicklesParrot

Real Name
Leigh
Whewwwwww.... Glad to hear. I put him on the shower rod and ran the water, its his favorite thing. He get so happy and active and silly. I waited outside and in a few minutes he was just going off like normal. I stuck the camera in there nd he seemed perfectly fine. Then after shower, I had him on my hand and dropped my hand real quick, like you would to try to train for the wings trick. He lifted both wings exactly the same in unison. Man, I just lost it there for a minute!!!. I was thinking I should have just made him come with me and not left him in the bathroom. He's taken that turn before, but it's still new to him, flying in that smaller part of the house. He just started flying good enough to handle and follow me to those back rooms with the smaller turns and hallways. I think he will be ok. I put him to bed. Ill get up early and watch him for a few hours. No flying until maybe tomorrow evening if he does good all day. Ill take it slow. Hes cracked his beak and flown into things and fell before but he never seemed phased by it at all. This jut scared the bezeesus out of me. Like finally he crashes, its my fault, and its too late to get to the vet.... FML. But thank you all for the encouragin words. I feel more at ease and sure with your supporting words. Ill keep this updated till were in the clear.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Sounds like just a sprain and that he worked it out fine. He's such a good boy. See how he is tomorrow. He might wake up a little stiff so don't have him do any flying till he loosens up on his own. They sure know how to give us grey hairs. :hug8:

PicklesParrot

Real Name
Leigh
This morning I took pickles out of his cage and had him with me on my hand and shoulder going about the house doing stuff. I put him on the perch behind the couch for one second to open the window... he flipped out took off flying around the room, into the other, back towards me, and then back to the dining room perch for a minute then back to the living room perch, He seemed fine flying, so I went to throw something in trash real quick just a few steps away before I pick him up again to ride my shoulder around the house so I can do stuff, he then decides to go back in the kitchen, ugh, I should have grabbed him first. Im watching him, a flight he does perfect everytime and perfect just a few minutes ago, he cant get high enough, goes under the perch, straight into/under the dining room table, kind of bumps around through all the bars/chair and table legs until he lands on the other side on the floor wiggling his left wing like he was doing last night but not as bad. So I just picked him up and check him out, made him open his wings, ect... seemed fine, feathers werent weird like in video last night, like nothing hurts and put him back in his cage. He is now all happy and perky and talking up a storm. I hate to leave him in his cage because his cage is in the spare bedroom away from the rest of the house, Its kind of been turned into his room. I have perches all over the rest of the house so he is pretty free to fly anywhere anytime. Im thinking he is either bruised or a little sprain. I know nothing can really be done for either, they have to heal, well for humans. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep him from flying but allow him to be with me wandering about the house? I read something about a sock? To keep his wing in place and keep him from using it to fly about. But I cant seem to find that article. I dont wanna just leave him in his cage alone all day. Any suggestions? Anyone know about the sock thing? He seems to be fine for the most part, but then again, I don't really know too much about sprains on birds.... Should he go to a vet? Im still confused.... I really really dont want any permanent damage but, I'm also barely squeezing by. I dealt with his chipped beak without the vet and he recovered perfectly. Ive dealt with sprains on myself without doctor and healed fine by taking it easy. Even the dog I can handle certain health issues without a vet because I know how they work and what to do. I am just unsure with a bird. I know myself and humans, I know my dogs, Ive had them my whole life and fostered off and on for years. This is the first bird Ive had. Everything s new to me.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I would NOT put anything on him. Let him decide how much he wants to use his wing. I would not encourage him to fly/flap by dropping your arm like you did last night, but if he wants to fly on his own, then he must feel okay. If they really do not feel 100 percent, they will sit quietly for a while, sometimes for days. I think they pretty much know what they are capable of doing.

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
When we stub our toe or bump our knee it hurts for a few days and we may baby it, it is no different with them :) It doesnt sound like he has any serious injury it is most likely bruised and he needs to let it rest some. Perhaps limit his out of cage time for a few days until it is back to normal.

PicklesParrot

Real Name
Leigh
Thank you all1 I've got him staying in his cage unless he is on me or my arm. No flying for a couple days. But he is getting very spoiled with extra treats. We'll see how he is doing tomorrow after 2 days of rest. :) I wouldnt get through these freak outs without you guys! lol

PicklesParrot

Real Name
Leigh
Just an update to you all! Pickles is a disaster bird I swear! He was doing much better, after several days of rest he started coming out of the cage flying a bit. Healed completely back to his normal self. Then last weekend he cracked his beak. He was on my shoulder, and I had my hands full and dropped something and the loud sound scared him and he took off and hit the wall. It wasnt a bad crack at all. Im not even sure it cracked because I didnt see anything but He did bleed. But I flew into action, stopped the bleeding, and hand fed him soft foods and kept cayene paste on it. So I had to put him back to rest. He was sore for a couple days and looked like the tip was bruised. But after a whole week of rest this time. And him being pissed off for making him stay in the cage for almost a week with limited time out. He is again all healed and back to normal. Bruising went away, beak is smoothed over. And Im very proud of myself for jumping into action and not freaking out. Life is back to normal now. We are all happy again. And pickles, hopefully, has learned that he cant fly in that hallway of doom. Plus were all being way more careful of letting him roam free everywhere. He has his room, and the living room, kitchen and dining that are open to free fly. But no more freedom in the back rooms and hallway. Dang disaster bird.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pickles is a mischevious little boy!
Glad his beak is okay. :)