• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Crash proofing the flying room

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
It’s just a start. JoJo caique tends to fly into the low brick wall. Added another net as buffer.

Big Scooter grey crashes on the tile. One way to prevent that is to focus on his body language and reassure him if he startles. I do have a couple dozen interlocking foam mats I could do something with. Keeping in mind there’s rain from the sides and plant watering carelessness. or I could get outdoor cushions.

8320F5AA-01E7-478F-B740-5C5BE58AEF37.jpeg

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Apologies if you've already attended to this (I can't tell from the photo), but do they have ample safe places to land?

Obviously, I can see the netting, but perhaps the netting wouldn't be necessary to prevent brick wall crash-landings if they had perches where they're trying to land?

I find that mine tend to land on their designated perches unless they're really startled (then all bets are off), and they like rigid landing surfaces more than flexible ones.

What does "crashes on the tile" look like? Landing too horizontally and sliding into things?

Mine would probably be attracted to foam mats for chewing. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Jumping off a high rope at an angle and slamming into the brick. Oblique line.

Criss cross ropes which are deliberate landings but for startled flight it’s too far.
please comment on what kind of rigid perches I could add

C5AF1535-590A-4102-9EC4-734801E1E761.jpeg 7D5B18A3-DB37-45A1-B2AB-A527A72FA90F.jpeg 564A326E-8168-4162-A857-B625D93BABAC.jpeg B751F0E3-1E79-4FC0-A398-EB97F4A52DB6.jpeg 4F33D9BA-278D-48DB-A903-06BDB641D4D6.jpeg 4CA07D37-431C-413C-A478-8C76C3B3F3E5.jpeg AE511E8C-6F49-4328-B868-D1CA63239591.jpeg 82FE232F-46D7-4850-9B01-50A11FAA32D6.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The space is 14x32

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
That's a great space!

I may be projecting the desires of my 460g and 900g birds onto yours, with respect to the rigid perch comment. Yours clearly land on ropes and netting.
"Rigid perch" is anything that doesn't swing when they land on it... a java tree, or flat platform (like a table), the back of a chair... your PVC tree.

Maybe JoJo wants to be somewhere low and flat and warmed by the sun (brick wall), so perhaps a table by the wall is a bigger safer landing spot, or a low concrete statue?
Maybe Big Scooter needs practice flying down (like a lot of birds) and they'd benefit from practicing that?

I suppose the main thing would be to pay attention to where they want to land, yet are having difficulties, and trial/error solutions in that spot until you find what works for them.

Last edited:

Marsbirds

Meeting neighbors
Jumping off a high rope at an angle and slamming into the brick. Oblique line.

Criss cross ropes which are deliberate landings but for startled flight it’s too far.
please comment on what kind of rigid perches I could add

View attachment 381457 View attachment 381458 View attachment 381459 View attachment 381460 View attachment 381461 View attachment 381462 View attachment 381463 View attachment 381464
Just WOW. I couldn’t be more jealous of your space. Beautiful.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks! Wow, you have big birds! I’ll reread and absorb and implement your suggestions for JoJo.

Big Scooter has a wing on which flight feathers don’t grow. So he can’t fly and walks places. When he’s on the outdoor stand he’s basically stuck at 2 feet off the floor. Freaks out at alarm calls from the caiques or Quaker. Jumps off and crashes on the tile

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ps the crashing only happens when one or more freak out about something. Chickie has a bad habit of suddenly screaming as she launches off.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Big Scooter has a wing on which flight feathers don’t grow. So he can’t fly and walks places.
Understood. Are the flight feathers on his "good" wing clipped so they're balanced with his other wing? Lack of balance could contribute to worsened crashes.

When he’s on the outdoor stand he’s basically stuck at 2 feet off the floor.
If the floor is bird-safe, perhaps leaning a ladder from the stand to the floor might provide an escape route during the alarm calls?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One word: Astroturf.

In my outdoor space, I had a handicapped from arthritis Amazon that truly resembled the Michelin Man (or possibly the Stay Puft marshmallow guy) due to extremely uneducated owners. When he came into rescue he would fall off perches and stands. He had zest and zeal to get to the highest room in the tallest tower, but resembled Shrek and he floated through the air worse than Donkey.
We put down really svelte Astroturf. It was surprisingly squishy. And could be hosed off. Completely waterproof. Ours was initially green but when we moved, we found out it comes in colors now too!
I now won’t be without it in an outdoor space if the birds have a fall risk.
(no guarantees hubby won’t try to golf on it. Mine did.)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
No suggestions but I love the picture of B. Scooter and the cake (I assume Chickie because no dye job) on the PVC stand.

Of course in my warped mind I see a merry-go-round that the birds could get going by flapping their wings.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could try adding foam mats or a carpet for the floor?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Understood. Are the flight feathers on his "good" wing clipped so they're balanced with his other wing? Lack of balance could contribute to worsened crashes.

If the floor is bird-safe, perhaps leaning a ladder from the stand to the floor might provide an escape route during the alarm calls?
One long flight feather needs clipped. Thanks for the reminder :)

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Holy ish! Now I've got a 5 year plan for what I want to build as an aviary! Newbie so no wisdom to add, just admiration : )

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you both. Have you seen @Destiny awesome aviary? I’ll get a link in a minute

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Going to steal some foam mats from the kids’ fort building stash in my home office corner

37E7A884-70C6-4016-948A-479FAF6B9304.jpeg

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oh well the mats didn’t work out because Rudy started taking out chunks and I don’t know if they are non toxic. :huh: