• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crash landings

Bex90

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Hi everyone. We got our 7month old parrolet yesterday. She seems to be pretty happy. Eating, chirping, excepting millet from my hand whilst she’s in her cage. Tonight I kept the cage door open to see if she’d have a fly which she did after a while. She kept crashing and it made me so so sad. She fell to the floor and sat looking sad. She eventually landed on the back of my sofa. I tried to get her to step on my finger so I could put her back but she kept biting me and it bloody hurt. I got a wooden perch and she stepped up straight away. She let me walk over and put her away. She was supposed to be hand reared but seems so scared of me and my hands etc. I’m really scared to let her out again because I don’t want her to become injured. What is the best step? I’m confused

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you know if her wings were clipped before you got her?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It could be a partial clip, where the bird looks fully flighted but some of the flights are clipped.

Keep in mind, ¨hand reared¨ birds are more ¨tame¨ with that person who raised them and interacted with them. You are a newcomer, a stranger, you will need to earn their trust. If she prefers stepping up on the perch for now, then do that until she has settled in more. Perhaps a treat for her when she steps up with some calm reassuring words. It´s only day two so she really is still settling in.
Maybe set up a food bowl for her besides your food, and have a meal ¨together¨, eating is a flock activity ;)

While she isn´t able to fly well, I would suggest having plenty of perches around the room, things to land on safely so she can do short flights or flutters. If you see her stretch her wings, have a look and see if you can spot those clipped flights. If she really is fully flighted, then it is something to monitor very closely. If you can´t tell even after looking, ask your vet to check during the first vet visit (which is always recommended for new birds). The vet will be able to tell you :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my conures was very much as you describe. I continued to let her out of the cage she crash landed she is now flying much more confidently some of her landings arent the best but she is getting there the only way she can improve is by being allowed to fly.
When a baby is learning to walk they fall over you have got to allow them to try and walk again so they can learn and improve.