• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cranberry Juice To Help Keep Gout Medication Down?

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Hi there, my sister (budgie) kony has articular gout and the vet has given us multiple medicines to help but the results are as follows:

Brown Powder (herbal complex): given for a month but foot continued to form white spots (uric adic crystals) and continued to swell up more. However this medicine did improve her mood and other symptoms like peeing a lot. (Due to the foot continuing to swell I asked for stronger medicine since it was not helping the biggest
symptom aka the foot).

Pink powder (way stronger herbal complex): Given to for 2 weeks it stopped the formation of big white spots (ucric acid crystals) on the foot and did very well against other symptoms. It also helped stop the swelling but smaller spots still appeared under the foot. But this medicine did not agree with her stomache and she would regurgitate it back up again.

Liquid herbal complex for gout: Seeing as the brown powder was not strong enough and the pink one was too much for her stomache we were given this one. This has caused no problems but it seems to not be strong enough to stop the foot from swelling as within just a week of having it her foot has swollen up again and large white spots (uric acid crystals) have formed under her foot. The previous white spots dont seem to be getting bigger anymore but the newer ones are now gaining size. And it dose not seem to be fighting symptoms well as she is now sneezing again sometimes as well.

This leads us to the conclusion after having observed all the medicines results, I can say that the only one out of these 3 medicationd that stopped the gout specifically in the foot is the pink powderd one. While none of them entierlly stopped the white spots the pink medicine did the best since while she was on it I saw those white spots getting smaller and the only new ones to appear were very small and stayed small.
Now for the issue (why I made this post). I want to keep giving her this pink powdered medicine but it upsets her stomache too much. After talking to the vet they said that sometimes this happens and is due to the medicines terrible flavor. They said that one sollution is to mix the medicine with juice instead of water. The 3 juices that they told me were used with this medicine are apple juice, orange juice, and cranberry juice. But orange juice is far too acidic and would not help with the gout. And apple juice could potentially be too much fat. Cranberry juice seems like the healthiest choice (unless my reaserch is wrong please tell me what you think is the best option of the 3 juices). So now I am trying to find all natural cranberry juice that would be safe to give to her. Note this juice is only to mix the medicine in, not to feed to her daily or anything. The medicine has to be mixed with .4cc of liquid.
So I want to hear what everyone thinks, what juice should I use if cranberry is not the best option and what brands should i look into? After doing reaserch I noticed that almost all the natural juices say they come from concentrate which does not sound good. (If I have to I will buy the fruit the juice comes from and just squeez the juice out of the fruits myself).

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What about tart cherry juice? I think you can buy organic of that and it's good for humans too

idontexist

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anonymous
Hey sr cn you help me with my budgerigars

redrose27

Strolling the yard
What about tart cherry juice? I think you can buy organic of that and it's good for humans too
Yes I looked into it and there seems to be conflicting information. It seems that cherries (not the tart kind) help with gout. After reading about them I think Im going to see if I can get kony (budgie) to eat some and maybe use cherry juice to mix the medicine. I would have to call the vet to make sure. And I also read that I have to remove the pits of cherries before feeding them to her.

redrose27

Strolling the yard
So I ran into one tiny issue trying to find natural cherry juice. Every juice I find says its tart (which is different from regular cherries and are more sour). If you happen to know any regular natural cherry juices I can give to a budgie please link me.

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Have you tried a Health Food store? You should have lots of store options in Florida. I used to work at one, and I think the brand that we carried was Knudsen Just Cherry juice (probably tart). I have human friends with gout and they drink tart cherry juice during a flare up (i've only heard of tart cherry juice helping with gout).

redrose27

Strolling the yard
Have you tried a Health Food store? You should have lots of store options in Florida. I used to work at one, and I think the brand that we carried was Knudsen Just Cherry juice (probably tart). I have human friends with gout and they drink tart cherry juice during a flare up (i've only heard of tart cherry juice helping with gout).
Yes i have that store near me. Tart cherry juice does seem to help but the issue is what it will make the medicine taste like. Tart cherry juice (as I have read) taste sour and the medicine taste bad enough (so bad that she regurgitates it). I think adding sourness to it wont help much. Thats why Im looking into regular cherry juice (its sweet to the taste). I also read that tart cherry juice can have some effect on medications so I would have to ask the vet. One thing is for sure thought that I need to give her the pink medication. I looked at her foot earlier and found that it is very much more swollen since I stopped giving her the pink medication. So I need to find cherry juice and fast.