• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cracked nail, looks painful

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I don't think this is an *emergency* exactly, but wasn't sure where else to post. I turned on the vacuum this morning, and Isadora decided to have a freak out and took off(ish - she still can't really fly) right into a shelf and cracked her nail pretty much in the center of it.

No bleeding, everything else appears fine, but she's holding her foot curled up under her or picking it up and looking at it. She's able to walk and put pressure on it and move it fine, so nothing aside from the nail appears broken. She's eating fine, she's just obviously uncomfortable.

Is there anything I can do for her? I'm terrified to try and cut it, it's so high up it would absolutely hit her quick.

What's funny, not 5 minutes before this I ripped one of my own nails off down to the nail bed. I have a band-aid. I don't think I can do that for her though.

IMG_6691.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think this is an *emergency* exactly, but wasn't sure where else to post. I turned on the vacuum this morning, and Isadora decided to have a freak out and took off(ish - she still can't really fly) right into a shelf and cracked her nail pretty much in the center of it.

No bleeding, everything else appears fine, but she's holding her foot curled up under her or picking it up and looking at it. She's able to walk and put pressure on it and move it fine, so nothing aside from the nail appears broken. She's eating fine, she's just obviously uncomfortable.

Is there anything I can do for her? I'm terrified to try and cut it, it's so high up it would absolutely hit her quick.

What's funny, not 5 minutes before this I ripped one of my own nails off down to the nail bed. I have a band-aid. I don't think I can do that for her though.

View attachment 429541
Oh gosh bless her heart. If she were mine I'd take her in to get that trimmed back and properly stop the bleeding that will inevitably happen and to get the rest of her nails trimmed. They all look like they could use a trim totally understand why it's hard to get that done though. I'd recommend a Flagstone perch from Seriously Nutz if you don't have one yet,they've always worked wonders with my flock and keeping their nails nice and blunt.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh gosh bless her heart. If she were mine I'd take her in to get that trimmed back and properly stop the bleeding that will inevitably happen and to get the rest of her nails trimmed. They all look like they could use a trim totally understand why it's hard to get that done though. I'd recommend a Flagstone perch from Seriously Nutz if you don't have one yet,they've always worked wonders with my flock and keeping their nails nice and blunt.
Yeah, I've been trying to get her in for a nail trim, but I'm running into the issue that it's a super busy clinic, and it's about 90min away - So trying to find a super short appointment that works with the schedule of also having my son with us is... Sucky, lol. I was going to try doing them myself, but I'd need the boyfriend to hold her and he's afraid she'll bite him through the towel, and he's also afraid to trim the nails while I hold her.

I need braver animal people near me :roflmao: I'm so glad it was just a nail and not a broken anything else at least. I might have to try toweling/holding her myself this afternoon when I can better distract the kid so he doesn't try to help.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, I've been trying to get her in for a nail trim, but I'm running into the issue that it's a super busy clinic, and it's about 90min away - So trying to find a super short appointment that works with the schedule of also having my son with us is... Sucky, lol. I was going to try doing them myself, but I'd need the boyfriend to hold her and he's afraid she'll bite him through the towel, and he's also afraid to trim the nails while I hold her.

I need braver animal people near me :roflmao: I'm so glad it was just a nail and not a broken anything else at least. I might have to try toweling/holding her myself this afternoon when I can better distract the kid so he doesn't try to help.
Totally understand that,that's definitely one of the parts of having parrots that makes it hard when it's the fairly simple need for a nail trim but sometimes it's harder to schedule that than a normal full length appt.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Do you have any metacam you can give her for the pain? Also, I would try and use vet wrap around it or a small band aid so she doesn't pull it off until you can get her to the vet?
If she pulls that loose part off, she is more than likely going to start bleeding. I would have some corn starch or flour on hand in case that happens.
I would definitely get her into see a vet asap.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Update: It resolved itself.

I stuck her in her cage to call the vet and find out if "emergency nail trim" was a real thing, and when I came back to get her, it was already snapped off. No blood, she's no longer holding it up, I just need to file it some because it's really sharp and I'm going to be a victim of it soon I bet.

Thanks y'all. Guess I could have waited to post since it was fixed so quickly without my getting a chance to do anything :roflmao:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I stuck her in her cage to call the vet and find out if "emergency nail trim" was a real thing, and when I came back to get her, it was already snapped off. No blood, she's no longer holding it up, I just need to file it some because it's really sharp and I'm going to be a victim of it soon I bet.

Thanks y'all. Guess I could have waited to post since it was fixed so quickly without my getting a chance to do anything :roflmao:
Oh good I'm so glad it safely resolved it's self.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann

So glad to hear she is okay. :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I wonder if your vet knows anyone that is a mobile groomer.
I had one for years...and boy do I miss her.
Might be worth checking out for the future.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I just got gouged on my neck from Frankie. He's been in such a mood lately I've been putting off making anyone else have to deal with him. Now he's all lovey dovey but I can't have him on me with his daggers. I will never do his nails myself because I would never forgive myself if I hurt him.
Oh hubby just informed me tonight he could do Frankie's nails. :rofl:
By the way this is hubby trying to "sneak" through the kitchen to go out the back door. :nervous::scrstf::rnfrt::scared1:
But he is magically going to turn into "Superman" to do Frankie's nails. Watch this space...

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
As deep as that crack was I'm surprised it wasn't bleeding so the quick/vein had already died back so it didn't bleed when she snapped it off. I cut too deep on one of Dobbys toenails and we had some flour handy and I just dipped his toe in it and it stopped bleeding. Birds with dark nails it's so easy to do so I usually nip a little at a time just in case.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I just got gouged on my neck from Frankie. He's been in such a mood lately I've been putting off making anyone else have to deal with him. Now he's all lovey dovey but I can't have him on me with his daggers. I will never do his nails myself because I would never forgive myself if I hurt him.
Oh hubby just informed me tonight he could do Frankie's nails. :rofl:
By the way this is hubby trying to "sneak" through the kitchen to go out the back door. :nervous::scrstf::rnfrt::scared1:
But he is magically going to turn into "Superman" to do Frankie's nails. Watch this space...
The bird that scares me the most of the flock is Pippen our GCC. That tiny thing is ferocious when she doesn't want to do something and will run down my arm biting anything she can then latch onto my fingers :rnfrt::scared5:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
In future, you could post something of this nature in Healthy Highway. I, too, am amazed that there's no bleeding, but that's good. I'd keep an eye on it in case she hits it against something or picks at it, causing it to bleed, but otherwise, you appear to be golden.