• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cracked egg

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Ivan my tiel is laying eggs for the second time since I've had her(8 months apart) the second egg came out cracked. She's ignoring it and sitting on the good egg. She's also spending time out of her cage with me. Should I throw the cracked one out?

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Replace it with a dummy egg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally would piff it but maybe wait a few more hours for @Zara to reply with what she would do.
I don’t think you’ll have any luck boiling a cracked egg and even if you did it doesn’t resolve the issue of the crack allowing bacteria to grow.

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
I personally would piff it but maybe wait a few more hours for @Zara to reply with what she would do.
I don’t think you’ll have any luck boiling a cracked egg and even if you did it doesn’t resolve the issue of the crack allowing bacteria to grow.
Thanks, it's what I thought best. She's ignoring it and I think she's somewhat upset about it. Thanks for your advice.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it´s a minor crack, boil it and put it back with the other. If it´s completely broken, I would leave if for the rest of the day and remove it at bedtime. She might re-lay that egg, but without dummy eggs, I don´t know what else you can do. Definitely worth investing in some dummy eggs for the future, they´re not just for pairs of birds, but those singles birds that re-lay broken eggs, cockatiels, lovebirds.
@Tiel Feathers or @Monica may have some other thoughts

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think I would remove it, but leaving it until bedtime would be fine. Birds in cages lay cracked and broken eggs all the time, which then could potentially lead them to replace the egg. Dummy eggs are definitely worth the investment.

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
If it´s a minor crack, boil it and put it back with the other. If it´s completely broken, I would leave if for the rest of the day and remove it at bedtime. She might re-lay that egg, but without dummy eggs, I don´t know what else you can do. Definitely worth investing in some dummy eggs for the future, they´re not just for pairs of birds, but those singles birds that re-lay broken eggs, cockatiels, lovebirds.
@Tiel Feathers or @Monica may have some other thoughts
Thanks! the egg was cracked and leaking and she seemed upset about it. I left it in until the evening and removed it, she's been happier since. I'll definitely get some dummy eggs. Her first clutch didn't bother her, this one's perturbed her and she seems to want to get it over with. Thanks for your advice

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sounds like you did the best thing! Hopefully, she's not too determined to be laying too many eggs!

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
Sounds like you did the best thing! Hopefully, she's not too determined to be laying too many eggs!
She just(right now) laid the third, it's perfect and she's not upset. The first time she laid four.

Skum

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bruce Bergeson
I think I would remove it, but leaving it until bedtime would be fine. Birds in cages lay cracked and broken eggs all the time, which then could potentially lead them to replace the egg. Dummy eggs are definitely worth the investment.
Thanks, removed it. She's happier