• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crack in Quaker’s beak

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
Hello, so I’m going to try and make this as simple as possible. My Quaker was biting at her cage and seemed to crack her beak in the process. It’s not near where the beak attaches, and it wasn’t bleeding, it doesn’t seem to affect her eating and drinking and she doesn’t seem to be in any pain. I’m just trying to find out if and how long it will take for it to grow out and if it’s something I should be concerned about? Please and thank you!

Attachments

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
It just looks like the outer layer is chipped off -- the beaks grow from the inside-out, so the outer layer commonly chips and cracks near the tip where it's thinner and the excess sloughs off. Won't take long to find plenty of pictures of healthy beaks with "cracks" in similar spots where the top layer has done exactly what has happened on yours.

Whether you need to have it cleaned off or let it happen naturally, Dunno, but if it's causing no pain and not collecting anything in it, I wouldn't worry.

. . . but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone else will provide more experienced advice ;)

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
It just looks like the outer layer is chipped off -- the beaks grow from the inside-out, so the outer layer commonly chips and cracks near the tip where it's thinner and the excess sloughs off. Won't take long to find plenty of pictures of healthy beaks with "cracks" in similar spots where the top layer has done exactly what has happened on yours.

Whether you need to have it cleaned off or let it happen naturally, Dunno, but if it's causing no pain and not collecting anything in it, I wouldn't worry.

. . . but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone else will provide more experienced advice ;)
Okay! Thank you so much for answering me, I just got so worried cause she has never had a crack that big before!

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
The end of my quaker's beak often looks like that as part of the flaking process over time, but not sure when it is sudden like your experience. Do you have toys or such to give your quaker something to keep her beak busy in her cage?

I hang balsa and cork toys in her cage to help keep her beak healthy; baby carrots clipped to the cage bar also works!