• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cozzi is having a hard time breathing

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
cyoungva I just saw this thread and I feel like we have a lot in common with our birds but probably different reasons. I am SO SORRY to see your lovely sweet Cozzi suffering and am so sorry you lost Baby Girl. I am relatively new here also but I have found so much support and caring from people I don't even know. I had five birds shipped to me Sept 18th 4 EBs and 1 tiel to go with my lone Tiel I had already and 4 budgies. I wanted a flock I could love and protect. Sadly the breeder was a bad person and sent me sick birds..one was so sick that after 2 trials of antibiotics and icu for a week, the third antibiotic was starting to work, but she suddenly died the day I was coming to get her. Meanwhile the other birds shipped were getting sick (all respiratory symptoms) and then my own flock started getting sick..it spread like wildfire. Fortunately an avian rescuer was able to help me too and too care of the bills because I could not afford it at the time because I was between jobs. I also have an excellent vet ...Avian and Exotic Veterinary in Raleigh.
Whether it helps or not I will tell you some of the things I did per vet instruction and the avian rescue angel. Gaga died and a necropsy did not give us a clue as to why she died but her lungs were bright red, and Tiara was beginning to go the same way...so heartbreaking and not knowing what caused it. However since Gaga was showing great signs of improvement just before she died unexpectedly, the vet felt that the third trial of antibiotics was beginning to help so she switched all my birds including Tiara to Clavamox. Also gave them a fungal med. But the thing I felt really got Tiara back on her feet was putting her on a tapering dose of prednisolone. All the birds that were showing symptoms of increased breathing were put on a nebulizer treatment twice a day and the vet rented me a nebulizer (ultrasonic) until Dee brought her own and lent it to me for the rest of the time.
Tiara is on her next to the last dose of prednisolone and is looking very good. All my other birds are completely healed it appears from my vet examination but she wants to keep Tiara on antibiotics one more week because she still looks to be breathing slightly faster than normal but her lungs sound good. I believe that all the care everyone gave my birds saved them! Also I want to mention one more thing that really helped Tiara..Dee brought me her O2 concentrator and we made an oxygen tent out of a clear shoer curtain purchased at walmart. As long as she was struggling and I had another bird who was not as bad but breathing fast...I kept them in that cage with the oxygen tent over it and it really helped her and gave her strength I think to endure the rest.
Now everyone is normal and off all meds and treatments but as I mentioned she wanted to give Tiara another week just to be sure.
If it had not been for all the help and advice I received both from here and the vet and the rescue, I would have watched all my birds die. I AM SO GRATEFUL!
I pray that your sweet Cozzi gets entirely healed..what a sweet bird..I have a special place in my heart for Tiels.
I do have a question about the thistle seeds...my vet found that one of the budgies I had rescued has liver disease over 300. I really dont want to be the bad guy forever and I want to build trust and I really do not want to give the milk thistle the vet gave her twice daily forever.
Because she is very hard to catch and for many reasons I want her to feel safe with me. Do the seeds work well?

I’m bringing Cozzi back to the vet on Monday...his weight is suddenly dropping please pray for my baby bear, Cozzi.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
I ordered the DMG....I am extremely worried though now, Cozzi is losing weight suddenly ..went from 86G to 82G in just a couple of days. He is going back to the vet Monday. Please pray for him.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear this. I’m sending healing thoughts for Cozzi, I hope he’ll be okay!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well and that Cozzi has dropped weight. I hope that both of you will be better soon. Hope that Cozzi's weight will go back up again? Are you weighing him at the same time every day?

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well and that Cozzi has dropped weight. I hope that both of you will be better soon. Hope that Cozzi's weight will go back up again? Are you weighing him at the same time every day?
No, I didn’t weigh him the same time, which I found out makes a difference! His weight this time around was 84g, I’m really hoping to see it back to at least 86 g like it was. The pimobendan doesn’t really seem to be helping him breathe any better now, so I went back to one of the first meds they put him on, Furosemide, and it made a big difference. Still breathing with an open beak but not barely as much as he was. Still following up with the vet tomorrow. Going to get repeat x-rays so we can compare to the ones she had 2 months ago. Received the DMG liquid today!

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
The dosage is one drop of DMG per 100mg of weight of the animal. Her cockatiel weighs approx. 50mg so the dosage would be 1/2 the dosage for a 100mg bird - or .05ml daily. For the first two weeks DMG recommends doubling the dosage so that would be .10ml daily. Those are very small amounts to work with, but DMG is not dangerous nor toxic, so if you are a little over it won't hurt anything.

Cozzi weighs 84g currently, how much should I give him of the DMG? Thank you so much for everyones support!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cozzi weighs 84g currently, how much should I give him of the DMG? Thank you so much for everyones support!

I would think .04 to .05 ml but check with the vet to be sure.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you are going by 1 drop per 100 grams, doing the math you would give about .04 based on his weight. Nothing wrong with giving a bit more but you may want to stick with the .04 which would be closer to the recommended dosage. Do talk to the vet and check on the dosage.
Scully weighs about 155-160 grams and he gets .075 to 0.1 cc. I do try to keep it more towards the .075.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
I am at the vet with him right now. We just finished repeat x-rays and labs. Xrays look a little better than last time, but we still don’t know what is going on with him. He’s still breathing with an open beak, but can control it sometimes when I cuddle him and caress him. He did lose weight and is now 81 g, but we have also moved in the last two weeks which created some more unfortunate stress. The vet is sending his X-ray to a radiologist for further review, then we will hopefully be able to come up with a plan for treatment. The first X-ray compares the last one in September to now, September on top. I would be interested in hearing thoughts.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for the updates. Sorry really cant help with the X rays. I hope he is more comfortable.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
Cozzi has an appointment at Stahls Exotic Animal Veterinary on December 26. It’s a 2 hour drive. I was hoping he could get in earlier, but not possible. Please pray for my little Cozzi bear....his labs came back showing elevated white blood count, and changes to his liver. Vet said most likely due to meds. We need all the prayers we can get right now...thanks . (Suspect Asper)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Praying for Cozzi, I sure hope he will be okay!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fingers crossed! Asper would suck but at least it would give you an answer and direction.