• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cozzi is having a hard time breathing

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
@enigma731 no my vet hasn’t mentioned anything about his sinuses. I did tell her that every time he sneezes, he sprays out wet stuff. @soleaux I am very sorry to hear about your bird Basil being sick. I pray for him and you! Cozzi used to travel all the time with me from Virginia to New York. I’m just afraid he won’t be up for it now while he is sick, because he gets stressed out now just from driving half an hour to my vet.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
@enigma731 I am going to bet you are right about his sinuses too! I have him in the sun right now getting a little bit of vitamin D, and I am looking in his sinuses, it looks wet inside the nostrils . Is it supposed to be like that? Like I said, he sprays wet stuff when he sneezes too. Another question about the vitamin D if anyone can help answer this. I have read a lot about birds becoming ill from lack of vitamin D. How much sunlight should he be getting during his time of illness?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I just came upon this thread, and I hope and pray Cozzi will be okay. Cozzi couldn’t ask for a better human, and you are doing everything you can. Also, I’m so sorry about the loss of your little girl. How’s her cage mate doing?
:sadhug2:

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
@Sylvester no, he’s not better. That’s what I don’t understand… He goes back and forth. Some days or moments his breathing is a little better, others are bad. His breathing also increases rapidly with an open beak when he tries flying from his cage to my shoulder, a very short distance. Hi sis @lromanony !! So happy to see you made it here. @Tiel Feathers thank you so much for your kind words! @iamwhoiam thank you, I am trying very hard and praying he gets better too! He definitely is not sneezing constantly like he was, so I look at that as a step forward, and hope he continues to get better! Thanks everyone for all your support, I am happy I found this group.... you are all very helpful, and comforting.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@Sylvester no, he’s not better. That’s what I don’t understand… He goes back and forth. Some days or moments his breathing is a little better, others are bad. His breathing also increases rapidly with an open beak when he tries flying from his cage to my shoulder, a very short distance. Hi sis @lromanony !! So happy to see you made it here. @Tiel Feathers thank you so much for your kind words! @iamwhoiam thank you, I am trying very hard and praying he gets better too! He definitely is not sneezing constantly like he was, so I look at that as a step forward, and hope he continues to get better! Thanks everyone for all your support, I am happy I found this group.... you are all very helpful, and comforting.
Urg!! How frustrating for you both that he keeps going back and forth health wise. I keep hoping he'll get better and not go up and down like he does :( I wish could help you more. Keep fighting the good fight!!
:hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You know there is no way for me to tell if it works well enough, or not. I used one bottle of the Avitech Milk Thistle/Dandelion, but decided I wanted the full Milk Thistle. Dandelion has more of a reputation for helping kidney problems.

Please don't allow Cozzi to fly at all. Flying is hard and he does not need the strain on his O2 supply, right now.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
I agree about not letting Cozzi fly right now, I actually clipped his flight feathers not too long ago. It made me sad to do it, but I had to do what I had to prevent him from flying anymore. I just ordered the other bottle, the same you have. Thanks so much!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just want to ask again if you talked to the vet about vetri-DMG? I do think it would be beneficial for Cozzi. My vet recommended this for my very ill bird many years ago and I've used it with other birds as needed.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
@Sylvester no, he’s not better. That’s what I don’t understand… He goes back and forth. Some days or moments his breathing is a little better, others are bad. His breathing also increases rapidly with an open beak when he tries flying from his cage to my shoulder, a very short distance.

Cyoungva,you have certainly been on an emotional roller-coaster with Cozzi's health I am so sorry. If he has stopped sneezing than maybe it is just a matter of time for the meds to take full effect.