• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cozzi is having a hard time breathing

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
Cozzi is my 12 year old cockatiel. Over the course of the past month, he has been doing a lot of sneezing, and open beak breathing. He has always been active, but is not playing anymore and he becomes easily exerted. His diet still seems good, and he eats well. Once I noticed him having symptoms of being ill, I immediately took him to the avian vet nearest to me, where they examined him, sedated him, took X-rays, and lab work. Labs all came back good, but the X-rays definitely shows something going on. The vet suspected a fungus in his lungs, and heart disease based on his symptoms of open beak breathing. At first they put him on anti inflammatory pain meds with a fungus antibiotic. It did nothing. They then put him on another antibiotic for infection just to cover the bases. It did nothing. At his next visit they gave him an injection of Furosemide, and we didn't really see much change. They also sent him home with the liquid furosemide which was compounded at a pharmacy. I still didn't see any change with Cozzi, so now they put him on Pimobendan, and still no changes. I am extremely tired, as I am up all hours of the night with my baby trying to comfort him. He just wants to be held against my chest at night...so I do it until I know I'm about to fall asleep, then place him back in his cage. I get back up with him several times in the night hearing him sneezing and crying for me. I am feeling very sad, and wish there was a medication that would help him breathe better. The vet did say they can try something else...but I just wanted to ask if anyone else had any experience in this, and what has helped? I am at a $950 vet bill plus medication costs, but will keep going until he can be comfortable! Thank you to anyone who can help give me some more advice.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Tagging a knowledgeable member for you. @Hankmacaw

I am so sorry about Cozzi and I hope you guys can figure this out :(:sadhug2: In the mean time make sure to keep him warm and humid (warm mist humidifiers will help soothe his lungs and make breathing easier). You can also run hot showers and let him breathe in the steam.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that your Cozzi is sick. His exray does appear as if there is something going on on his left side and less so on his right side. It does not look solid enough to be a tumor, but I don't have any idea what it is.

Did the vet do an Asper titer survey among the tests performed. It could be Asper, but if so, that is a huge colony. His lungs look relatively clear and I can't really see the size/shape of the heart from the angle in the xray. His liver appears to be swollen.

What were the results of the blood tests - was his white blood cell count high. How was his Packed red cell count? How were his liver enzymes?

Keep him very warm and as quiet as possible. Make sure he eats and drinks - even if you have to supplement his intake by syringe. Is there any that you can get hold of and oxygen concentrator so he can be put in an oxygen box to give him O2 supp, rt?

Fungus infections take a long time to cure.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
I am not sure what was all included in the blood tests. The vet said his White blood count was good, and his liver and kidneys looked good. The vet said blood test did not show any signs of infection, but could be wrong? The vet wasn’t able to tell me 100% sure what was going on in his x-rays, and that disturbed me, so basically they are still testing him on different medications and playing a guessing game., and hoping they find something that will help him breathe better. My vet is going to be calling me back shortly, I won’t ask her if she did the Asper titer test, i’m not sure what that is. Cozzi still has a very good appetite and he is maintaining his weight., he just does not feel good at all though. I will ask my vet about oxygen also. I also just received a phone call from my doctor, I have had a sore throat for one week, and was just diagnosed with strep. I am wondering… Since I have Cozzi resting on my chest up near my face a lot of the time, he sneezes and it comes out wet, could have I got stept from him?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
  • Influenza (including H5N1 and H1N1)
  • Psittacosis
  • Salmonella
These are the zoonotic diseases transferrable to us.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
I need prayers! I don’t know what is going on, I heard one of my birds fall to the bottom of their cage just now....I thought it was Cozzi, but it wasn’t, it was my yellow cockatiel Baby Girl. I have not seen her showing any signs of illness. This is sudden. She is hurtled in a corner at the bottom of her cage. I have a heating pad under the cage to keep her warm, as she felt cold. I am really worried and wondering what is going on here.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Update please - when possible.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
Lord keep me strong, they are euthanizing my lbaby girl. She is very sick and will not make it through.