• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cozzi is having a hard time breathing

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
The vet still thinks it’s fungal infection. She put him back on the voriconizole, and changed his heart medication to pimobendan in hopes that it will help him breathe easier. The last time he was on the V we only did it for one week, and the vet changed his medication because she wasn’t seeing any changes. I discussed with her that I understand fungal infections take a very long time to get rid of, so we are going to do a three week treatment and hope and pray for the best outcome. Cozzi was first seen at the vet on September 15, I am so happy he still with me and I hope I can get this under control. It is sad when I take him out of the cage and he starts breathing really hard just from jumping from his cage to my shoulder. Since baby girl has been gone, her mate, munchkin has been very stressed out and all he does is cries. The only way I can calm him down as by holding him and giving him scritches. Is there any other advice to help keep him calm? I tried putting him in with my other two male cockatiel is, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference at all.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
The only other way he calms down is if I cover his cage, but I leave the front open. I don’t want to have to cover him all the time, it’s like he’s going night night

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm glad Cozzi is on Voraconazole. @Macawnutz and I both had good results with it. Itraconazole (the second biggest gun in the fungus arsenal) has some very bad side effects - mainly liver damage. Sarah and I both used Voraconazole soon after it came out and neither of us had side effects with our birds.

Even three weeks is a short treatment time for a fungal infection - particularly if it is Aspergillosis. My Hank was on medication and treatment, including nebulization for 6 months - then repeat when the damned stuff came back. Supportive care with Asper is critical. Cozzi must stay warm, he must be hydrated and eat enough to keep his body functioning properly. He will need a lot of rest - sleep.

My nebulizer (a Devilbiss) cost me about $130 at a pharmacy (CVS). Probably the most expensive place you can buy one. Boy they are much cheaper now. They range from $32 - $99. Ask you Dr. what she feels is the best one.

Let me know what goes on.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for the information. Do I need a prescription for The neubilazer? How do you use it on a bird?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am so so sorry

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@cyoungva - that nebulizer in the video is exactly the same one I have. Dr. recommended it to me. What counts with a nebulizer is that the liquid is broken down into small enough particle to get deep into the respiratory system.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Depends on your state law whether you need a prescription or not.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much, you have all been very helpful. Now my next question, does anyone have avian pet insurance? I just called nationwide, but they do not cover pre-existing conditions. Someone mentioned insurance to me, and I never even knew it existed or birds.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are very few pet insurance companies that cover birds. I checked into it once and it was very expensive. You would bet better off using Care Credit. It is like a regular charge card (plastic) and this organization will let you pay the bill of a dentist or vet with monthly payments and no interest if the vet participates. Its worth a try. I will shortly get you a link.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much. I do have care credit. I just got off the phone with one of the vet ttechnician about the neubillizer, they said they didn’t think it would help Cozzi because it only opens up Bronchiole ?? I am so confused by all of this. They did say I could try it though and rent it from them for $50. I asked them to please have the avian vet call me back.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It depends on which medication is used. Every breath a bird breathes goes through the lungs and every airsac and the hollow bones. If the medication used is a bronchodilator then that's what it will do, if it is a fungicide then it will kill the fungus. I was able to use Amophotericin B (the most powerful fungicide and only one that actually kills fungus) on jasper for four days in my nebulizer. Ampho B is extremely toxic and must be used with a lot of care.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How long would the time be for the $50 rental fee? with the full price being as low as $32 that seems best to me.
There are a bunch of medications used with nebulizers.
Vet techs generally only know part of the story - only that part that they have had experience with.

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
I agree, I will just see if I can get a prescription to purchase one. I will know more on the time once she calls me back. I’m wondering if it is best for me to keep Cozzi on the Virconizole or ask her to switch him to Amophotericin?

cyoungva

Meeting neighbors
@Hankmacaw I just looked on Amazon, and it looks like I can just purchase one from there. Is there a specific one I should order for him? I don’t know anything about nebulizers. Thanks again!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I agree, I will just see if I can get a prescription to purchase one. I will know more on the time once she calls me back. I’m wondering if it is best for me to keep Cozzi on the Virconizole or ask her to switch him to Amophotericin?

Never ever use Amphotericin B on your bird, orally or IV unless it is the last gasp. Amph B is terribly, terribly toxic. You can ask your vet if you can use the Amph B for maybe 3days in the nebulizer before switching over to another medication.

I would buy either the Devilbiss (I noticed that Amazon doesn't have any Devilbiss0 5650D or the Devilbiss Pulmo-Aide Compact Compressor Nebulizer System 3655D) and I can only recommend the Devilbiss because I've had such good service from the Devilbiss. eBay has a large selection to choose from.

devilbiss pulmo-aide nebulizer | eBay