• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

coyote vests

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mom had a small dog that was grabbed. She chased and the dog was dropped (and survived).

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Wow when we lived in NC a very large hawk swooped down after our chi. My son was close by so it changed course before grabbing her. But yes it’s a real thing for sure. The idea seems pretty useful. But those pokey sticks seem like they could poke the dog in the eye if they tried to scratch or whatever.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Wow when we lived in NC a very large hawk swooped down after our chi. My son was close by so it changed course before grabbing her. But yes it’s a real thing for sure. The idea seems pretty useful. But those pokey sticks seem like they could poke the dog in the eye if they tried to scratch or whatever.
the pokey sticks are an optional add-on. I think they are extremely punk, especially with all those spikes.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those things are completely ridiculous IMO. They are worthless or worse to protect against coyotes. Worse in that they may provide a false sense of security. Completely unnecessary for birds of prey. When I had a small dog, I just went outside with him all the time. Mostly due to concern over the neighborhood dogs and coyotes and the fact he liked to escape. You would not believe the number of falconers who run 6-10 lb dachshunds with their large hawks to find rabbits and dig them out of tight bush piles. I've never heard of a hawk killing a dachshund. I've heard of a few attacks, but no deaths. And those are from tame hawks which are considerably more gutsy than wild hawks. Dog skin is pretty thick. Just go out with your dog and then you don't have to worry about such things.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
This summer there was a lady in Myrtle Beach that was dog sitting a small poodle for her friend. She took him outside in her front yard and a coyote ran up and grabbed the dog and ran off. He was only ten feet from his caretaker. He probably wasn't on a leash if the coyote was able to run off with him. She found the dog dead the next day a couple of houses away. So sad. I only take my littles out with a leash and am on a constant look out and stay close to them at all times. I would fight a coyote if I had to.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I had a yorkie patient come in once that was grabbed and picked up by a large owl. Very deep puncture wounds from the talons that narrowly missed perforating the intestine. Luckily the owner was a quick thinker and the owl not so fast with its rather plump “catch” and she rescued her dog. The wounds did require quite the healing time though.
This was in the desert, where coyotes commonly jump fences into backyards to steal unattended dogs and owls are actually the bigger threat. They’re silent and strong enough to nab a small dog easily when they’re full grown.
I had no idea until I started seeing clients bring their pets in having been picked up by an owl. Most times the owl drops them due to their weight and wiggling combined. But they don’t just eat rodents/small birds like people think, at least in the desert.

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
A spiked collar once saved my friend's pug from a coyote attack, so this could definitely work to deter predators. The coyote grabbed for his neck while he was running in an off-leash area, but immediately dropped him because the spikes pierced her mouth. There was blood on them from how hard the coyote bit down; if that pug had been wearing anything else, he'd have been lunch.

When I was a little kid, I lost several cats to coyotes and birds of prey. I absolutely believe that they may have been able to get away if they had something like this to protect them. Kevlar and spikes are no joke.

My pooch is way too big to be a potential meal for a coyote, but I looove these. I wish all the free-roaming pets in my area were wearing them!

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I had a yorkie patient come in once that was grabbed and picked up by a large owl. Very deep puncture wounds from the talons that narrowly missed perforating the intestine. Luckily the owner was a quick thinker and the owl not so fast with its rather plump “catch” and she rescued her dog. The wounds did require quite the healing time though.
This was in the desert, where coyotes commonly jump fences into backyards to steal unattended dogs and owls are actually the bigger threat. They’re silent and strong enough to nab a small dog easily when they’re full grown.
I had no idea until I started seeing clients bring their pets in having been picked up by an owl. Most times the owl drops them due to their weight and wiggling combined. But they don’t just eat rodents/small birds like people think, at least in the desert.

Yup. I just recently moved to a more rural area that is frequented by large owls and bald eagles. I've been told by more than a few people that predatory birds taking off small animals - cats, dogs, rabbits - can be an issue here.